The Early Music Club (EMC)

Started by zamyrabyrd, October 06, 2007, 10:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Cross post from the Listening Thread

O Magnum Mysterium:

I feel that I must make a comment regarding this set as I have enjoyed it enormously for both its content and the consistent quality of its presentations of the music. 

The signature sound of Schola Cantorum Stuttgart is truly wonderful throughout this set in representing this genre of music. Gottwald consistently focuses on reproducing the music directly and continuously to the best effect. I believe that he very much succeeds in this endeavour. The choir consistently sounds very rich and full in its range of sonorities which consistently enhances the delivery of this music. It is also recorded in a warm and benign acoustic throughout. The set comes highly recommended for its thoroughly enjoyable performances throughout.

milk

Quote from: (: premont :) on August 12, 2022, 03:30:24 AM
if you are interested in the organ and the oldest surviving keyboard music (Codex Robertsbridge) this CD fulfills the wish rather well. I have heard a few of Bovet's organ recordings and also heard him live at a recital and never found him disappointing.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8065533--guy-bovet-a-lorgue-de-la-basilique-de-valere-1390-the-worlds-oldest-playable-organ
Thanks!

Que

Quote from: The new erato on September 15, 2022, 11:38:38 PM
On vacation my only possible contribution is

Can't see the picture, but where are you travelling?  :)

The new erato

Quote from: Que on September 15, 2022, 11:40:53 PM
Can't see the picture, but where are you travelling?  :)
Thought I had deleted my post. Tried to post a picture from the church where Vivaldi were baptized, but it was too big andI had no easy way to reduce the size on my phone.

Have been to Bolzano, Mantova, Cremona. Padova, Venezia so far in September. Currently in Ferrara and aiming for Cinque Terre tomorrow. Spent the best part of a day in the Gonzaga palace.

Que

Quote from: The new erato on September 16, 2022, 05:23:26 AM
Thought I had deleted my post. Tried to post a picture from the church where Vivaldi were baptized, but it was too big andI had no easy way to reduce the size on my phone.

Have been to Bolzano, Mantova, Cremona. Padova, Venezia so far in September. Currently in Ferrara and aiming for Cinque Terre tomorrow. Spent the best part of a day in the Gonzaga palace.

Wonderful!  :) I thought Ferrara was magical. Cinque Terre is utterly charming in a totally different way.

Que

The new erato

Yes, and it has been mentioned in the new releases thread quite some time ago.

Que

Quote from: The new erato on October 12, 2022, 08:57:38 PM
Yes, and it has been mentioned in the new releases thread quite some time ago.

Thnx. I must have missed it.... :) Going to line it up for a listen on Spotify!

Harry

Quote from: Que on October 12, 2022, 10:43:53 PM
Thnx. I must have missed it.... :) Going to line it up for a listen on Spotify!

Its on my order list too, as Erato said it is already quite some time available, and after listening to the samples I found it to be quite good. Let us know what you make of it after listening.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on October 12, 2022, 02:09:38 PM
Anyone noticed this one before?

https://frabernardo.com/portfolio-item/tinctoris-barbingant-masses-beauty-farm/

The Barbignant credo is magical. I felt a sudden urge to genuflect.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

https://static.qobuz.com/goodies/34/000152843.pdf

This is a concert recording, and all the better for it IMO! Really lovely singing, I'd say well judged for elapsed time in the big lay. Gentlemen, this is a goody.

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on October 22, 2022, 08:47:35 AM

https://static.qobuz.com/goodies/34/000152843.pdf

This is a concert recording, and all the better for it IMO! Really lovely singing, I'd say well judged for elapsed time in the big lay. Gentlemen, this is a goody.

Noted!  :)

JBS

Crosspost from the main listening thread

Early morning listening
The electric guitar fits in very well, the ondes Martonet doesn't but still works, the piece played on synthesizer sticks out like a lump of coal in a bowl of chowder.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mandryka

Quote from: JBS on October 27, 2022, 04:12:49 AM
Crosspost from the main listening thread

Early morning listening
The electric guitar fits in very well, the ondes Martonet doesn't but still works, the piece played on synthesizer sticks out like a lump of coal in a bowl of chowder.

De gustibus etc etc!

premont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Harry

Quote from: (: premont :) on October 27, 2022, 06:30:48 AM
Freely translated:

Disgust can't be disputed.

Right! :)
The Titelouze and Schildt arrive tomorrow, I am quite curious.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

JBS

Quote from: Mandryka on October 27, 2022, 05:22:26 AM
De gustibus etc etc!

It's probably worth streaming once. Most of it is a capella or with period appropriate instruments, anyway, and the electric keyboard* doesn't stand out. Only the synthesizer is bad, and it's only one track.

*this morning I wrote guitar; mea culpa.

premont

Quote from: JBS on October 27, 2022, 07:31:18 PM
It's probably worth streaming once. Most of it is a capella or with period appropriate instruments, anyway, and the electric keyboard* doesn't stand out. Only the synthesizer is bad, and it's only one track.

Electric keyboard and synthesizer for DesPres maks me shiver all over. ???
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Trying to make up my mind whether to see cinquecento in London on Monday. There's a Tye mass I haven't even heard of, The Mean Mass. Makes me think of Molière's L'Avarre!

No use googling it, you just get loads of stuff about calculating the mean mass in kg of a bunch of things.

JBS

There's a recording of it reviewed by Classics Today with a bit of information on it. It seems its official name is the Peterhouse Mass.
https://www.classicstoday.com/review/review-3252/