The Early Music Club (EMC)

Started by zamyrabyrd, October 06, 2007, 10:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Early Music lovers, any comments on this recent reissue will be welcome! :)

[asin]B00P2U7D5I[/asin]
Q

The new erato

All I can say is that they make wonderful wines from the Aglianico grape from the area around Benevento (I was there in 2004). And that Tony Soprano used to brag that his family was down to earth farmers from Benevento.

Que

Quote from: The new erato on June 06, 2015, 02:17:59 AM
All I can say is that they make wonderful wines from the Aglianico grape from the area around Benevento (I was there in 2004). And that Tony Soprano used to brag that his family was down to earth farmers from Benevento.

I am not a fan of the Soprano's, but the wine recommendation sounds good.  :D

Q

king ubu

had that one a couple of times - the label forced me to try it:

it's good, but too expensive here for daily usage ...

as for Ensemble Organum, I've bought several of their discs by now and enjoyed what I heard - but I'm really no expert in this kind of music, it all still sounds pretty foreign to me, still trying to get into it more.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

aligreto

Songs by Guillaume de Machaut....

San Antone

Florestan

(Cross-post with the WAYLT thread, where it will soon be buried.)

This CD is simply excellent. It is not quite original Verdelot, as it consists of Adrian Willaert´s arrangement for voice and lute of some of Verdelot´s madrigals, interspersed with pieces for solo lute. Sonically speaking, the voice and the lute are recorded on separate channels and that gives a lively feeling of space: one can picture the singer in a corner and the lutenist in another corner. The end result is one of the most intimate, heartfelt and beautifully sounding musicmaking I´ve ever heard, and on top of it you get that unmistakable Renaissance mood and soundworld. A winner!
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

This set of three CDs contains the complete Chansonnier Cordiforme, perhaps the most beautiful of all surviving music manuscripts, whose first owner was Jean de Montchenu (d. 1497). It was compiled during the 1470s and contains 43 songs from the preceding 30 years by Dufay, Binchois, Ockeghem, Busnoys and other composers of the time. This was the first, and remains the only complete recording ever made of an entire fifteenth-century songbook; and it gives everything in its original order, starting from the first page and ending on the last. The extensive booklet includes new introductions by Anthony Rooley and the Chansonnier's editor and project supervisor, David Fallows, a substantial essay on the background to the music as well as every title by Fallows and full texts and translations. A true Eloquence magnum opus receiving its first international release on CD. - Amazon Editorial Review

I played the first 2 CDs yesterday night and the night before. Tonight I will finish the whole series with the 3rd CD.

I fully endorse what an Amazon reviewer wrote:

This CD set offers a set of truly exquisite performances. I consider this to be one of the foremost treasures I have encountered in many years of listening to music, and recommend it with great enthusiasm.

This is one of the most beautiful music and musicmaking I have ever heard. Period.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

aligreto

Ockeghem: Requiem & Missa Mi-Mi / The Hilliard Ensemble....

San Antone

I received a notice of this new Cinquecento recording from Hyperion

Lassus : Missa super Dixit Joseph & motets

kishnevi

Quote from: aligreto on June 28, 2015, 02:14:18 AM
Ockeghem: Requiem & Missa Mi-Mi / The Hilliard Ensemble....

Presumably the first half of this Virgin double is a reissue.

Tres bien.

aligreto

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on June 28, 2015, 07:20:22 AM

Tres bien.

Yes, it certainly looks like it; mine is the single vinyl release.

Artem

Two CDs tonight:

[asin]B00008W7DM[/asin]
[asin]B001927MKO[/asin]

Vox Silentii's disk has been with me for some time now and I really enjoy it. Three female vocalists, often it is just one singing voice. I haven't heard Organum's Messe de Notre Dame before and I found it very odd. It is almost like Middle Eastern music to me. Weird. Will need to listen again.

Que

Quote from: Artem on June 28, 2015, 06:51:34 PM
[asin]B001927MKO[/asin]

Vox Silentii's disk has been with me for some time now and I really enjoy it. Three female vocalists, often it is just one singing voice. I haven't heard Organum's Messe de Notre Dame before and I found it very odd. It is almost like Middle Eastern music to me. Weird. Will need to listen again.

It sounds like that because of the ("Byzantine") way Péres performs it. Other performances do not sound like that (at all)! :)

See my earlier comments HERE and a comparison with the Ensemble Binchois HERE.

And...welcome to the Club! :)

Q

EigenUser

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on June 28, 2015, 07:20:22 AM

Tres bien.
Missa Mi-mi and Missa Prolationum are two of my favorites. I don't think I've heard this, but I could be wrong. My favorite recording of Missa Mi-mi is the Cappella Pratensis. I'd recommend it for those who prefer a darker, shadier sound.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

aligreto

This is one of my favourite Early Music CDs. The instruments are wonderfully sonorous and the vocals of Maria D. Lafitte are terrific, ranging from raucous to haunting. Her performances are full of passion and conviction and they create a marvellous atmosphere. Warmly recommended.

aligreto

Early morning, Early Music listening....

Que

Quote from: aligreto on July 04, 2015, 11:54:33 PM
Early morning, Early Music listening....

Don't know the ensemble,  looks nice! :) Though Sweelinck was not exactly French, but did write psalms in French....

I recall new erato recommending a  disc with similar music by Pascal de l'Estochart:

[asin]B000NVLESI[/asin]

Q

San Antone

Quote from: aligreto on June 30, 2015, 01:14:25 PM

This is one of my favourite Early Music CDs. The instruments are wonderfully sonorous and the vocals of Maria D. Lafitte are terrific, ranging from raucous to haunting. Her performances are full of passion and conviction and they create a marvellous atmosphere. Warmly recommended.

Good stuff; the music ofthe troubadours and trouveres is some of my favorite.  Ensemble Unicorn has a box too.

[asin]B007WB5D6Q[/asin]