Started by zamyrabyrd, October 06, 2007, 10:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Florestan

Quote from: North Star on August 10, 2017, 06:51:44 AM
I can't be sure..

Then you can't be sure you ike it, which is to say you really don't truly like anything.  ;D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Mandryka

Jantina Noorman sounds like a fish wife.

What I don't know is whether this approach is as valid today as it was in the 1960s. What do we know about troubador singing?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

millionrainbows

They didn't have toilet paper back then. I bet the actual experience of "understanding" Gesualdo would be horrible, even if he didn't spit on you.

aligreto

Cross post from the Listening Thread....

Great music and performances throughout both vocally and instrumentally. Definitely worth investigating.

millionrainbows

Just got this yesterday. Very interesting for such old music. Lots of unexpected chord changes, and the occasional searing dissonance. Nice cover, what a handsome young man!

Mr. Minnow

Mandryka

Quote from: Mr. Minnow on September 19, 2017, 06:03:51 AM
Anyone here got this yet?

It's a holistic concept CD

QuoteIn the same way that works of art are framed with the greatest of care, we have taken great pains to find musical frames for the works recorded here; these frames at times introduce the works, at times interconnect them and at times bring something new out of them. Even more important, they act as an invitation to music so that the ears and the conscious mind can be fully awake and liberated at the moment that the art in question first appears.

These frames are specially composed or improvised.

They say something really enigmatic in the booklet

Quote[when preparing le ray au soleil] One experiment led to another, with the result that Le ray au soleyl gradually became the central work of the programme.

It's enigmatic because le ray au soleil is the last song on the CD. Their treatment of it is extraordinary for the way they use instruments, I could hardly believe my ears, it's like Pink Floyd.

There's one song on it which I think has never been recorded before, oncques ne fu si dure partie (Anon). The performance is astonishing on the phrase "Oci, oci, oci: ce cri perfide me dit" Apparently oci is both a bird call and means "kill!"

Julia van Landsberg has a very high tessiture.

Fumeux fume par fumée is given the familiar quasi-dope-smoky treatment.

Mr. Minnow

Quote from: Mandryka on September 19, 2017, 08:00:15 AM
It's a holistic concept CD

These frames are specially composed or improvised.

They say something really enigmatic in the booklet

It's enigmatic because le ray au soleil is the last song on the CD. Their treatment of it is extraordinary for the way they use instruments, I could hardly believe my ears, it's like Pink Floyd.

There's one song on it which I think has never been recorded before, oncques ne fu si dure partie (Anon).

Julia van Landsberg has a very high tessiture.

Fumeux fume par fumée is given the familiar quasi-dope-smoky treatment.

Thanks. I'd read something about the musical "frames" so I assumed it would be a concept CD of some sort. Can't say I expected the Pink Floyd comparison though! When you say you "couldn't believe your ears", is that in a good or bad way? Don't get me wrong, I like (most) Pink Floyd, but whether it would work or not in this context is another matter. To be fair, the samples I've heard sound fine so I'm inclined to get this unless you say you thought it was really poor, which would give me pause for thought.

Mandryka

Quote from: Mr. Minnow on September 19, 2017, 08:12:57 AM
When you say you "couldn't believe your ears", is that in a good or bad way?

You've got to hear these things for yourself, the only question really is whether you can tolerate her voice. It's only about 10 seconds of Wish You Were Here.

Mr. Minnow

Quote from: Mandryka on September 19, 2017, 08:15:31 AM
You've got to hear these things for yourself, the only question really is whether you can tolerate her voice. It's only about 10 seconds of Wish You Were Here.

Her voice sounded OK to me on the samples and 10 seconds of Wish You Were Here doesn't sound like a problem! On to the shopping list it goes.

Mandryka

Very interesting programme notes by Alexander Blachly (Pomerium) here, covering Josquin, Obrecht, Lassus, Agricola, Gombert, Isaac . . . the usual suspects.

http://pomerium.us/?page_id=2866

San Antone

A new recording of Medieval vocal music -

Parle qui veut - Moralizing songs of the Middle Ages
Sollazzo Ensemble

Recording details: July 2016
National Centre for Early Music, York, United Kingdom
Produced by Philip Hobbs
Engineered by Philip Hobbs
Release date: October 2017
Total duration: 46 minutes 2 seconds

A bit short on playing time, but the ensemble is good.  This is their first recording, and I consider them a group to watch.  The selections come from the late 14th century mainly, with nice mix of composers. 

Mr. Minnow

New release from Graindelavoix:

Presumably the Peres-on-steroids approach of their Machaut disc will not be used for this one? Though with Schmelzer you never know for sure.

Harry

Quote from: Mr. Minnow on October 31, 2017, 06:06:13 AM
New release from Graindelavoix:

Presumably the Peres-on-steroids approach of their Machaut disc will not be used for this one? Though with Schmelzer you never know for sure.

Since I had almost all Graindelavoix recordings this one is on my list as a possible acquisition.
Schmelzer is somewhat of a rebel, but to my ears he never overstepped the mark with a ruinous recording.
The Machaut was something of a highlight for me.
But then I am a great admirer of Schmelzer and his boys. :)
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Mr. Minnow

New CD from the excellent Ensemble Peregrina:

MusikMuseum seems to be a pretty small and obscure label, so maybe not the easiest to find. JPC currently have it in stock though.

Mr. Minnow

Quote from: Harry's corner on October 31, 2017, 06:13:34 AM
Since I had almost all Graindelavoix recordings this one is on my list as a possible acquisition.
Schmelzer is somewhat of a rebel, but to my ears he never overstepped the mark with a ruinous recording.
The Machaut was something of a highlight for me.
But then I am a great admirer of Schmelzer and his boys. :)

Oh yes, I like them very much as well. I'm glad to have the Machaut disc, even though it's far from my favourite performance of the Messe de Nostre Dame. The only recording I've deliberately avoided buying is the Ockeghem CD. The parts I've heard of that sounded positively cavernous, and each voice seemed to be inhabiting a world of its own, so much so that Ockeghem's intricate polyphony was pretty much obliterated. Maybe the bits I heard were unrepresentative of the disc as a whole, though reviews I've read would suggest not.

Harry

Quote from: Mr. Minnow on October 31, 2017, 06:26:40 AM
Oh yes, I like them very much as well. I'm glad to have the Machaut disc, even though it's far from my favourite performance of the Messe de Nostre Dame. The only recording I've deliberately avoided buying is the Ockeghem CD. The parts I've heard of that sounded positively cavernous, and each voice seemed to be inhabiting a world of its own, so much so that Ockeghem's intricate polyphony was pretty much obliterated. Maybe the bits I heard were unrepresentative of the disc as a whole, though reviews I've read would suggest not.

There you go. the Ockeghem recording was and is also a favourite. The recording on my simple stereo was excellent, so cavernous, no not really. To me the polyphony was intact....
So many ears, so many opinions. ;)

Mr. Minnow

Quote from: Harry's corner on October 31, 2017, 06:39:40 AM
There you go. the Ockeghem recording was and is also a favourite. The recording on my simple stereo was excellent, so cavernous, no not really. To me the polyphony was intact....
So many ears, so many opinions. ;)

To be fair, as I don't have the CD I've only heard parts of it through computer speakers. It might sound very different through a proper hi-fi system. Having read reviews making similar criticisms to my impressions of the parts I've heard I'm reluctant to pay full price for it, but if I see a cheap second hand copy somewhere I'll pick it up.

Harry

Quote from: Mr. Minnow on October 31, 2017, 06:47:38 AM
To be fair, as I don't have the CD I've only heard parts of it through computer speakers. It might sound very different through a proper hi-fi system. Having read reviews making similar criticisms to my impressions of the parts I've heard I'm reluctant to pay full price for it, but if I see a cheap second hand copy somewhere I'll pick it up.

This was my review of the disc.

https://walboi.blogspot.nl/2017/01/ockeghem-johannes-c-1410-1497-missa.html

Had a nice conversation with Schmelzer about this recording. He read my words and contacted me. I was really surprised that he found my blog. :)