The Early Music Club (EMC)

Started by zamyrabyrd, October 06, 2007, 10:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mookalafalas

Just acquired some disks by Alla Francesca.  I am smitten. 

edit:
can't stop playing this one:

[asin]B000005W6B[/asin]
It's all good...

Mandryka

Quote from: Mookalafalas on February 02, 2018, 03:00:31 PM

edit:

[asin]B000005W6B[/asin]

Yes, I've just been listening to a cd of Italian music from Gothic Voices called A Song for Francesca, and it's extraordinary how the quality of Landini's music stands out.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Florestan

Quote from: Mookalafalas on February 02, 2018, 03:00:31 PM

edit:

[asin]B000005W6B[/asin]

When it comes to Early Music Alla Francesca is (one of) my ensembles of choice. This Landini disc is wonderful indeed.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

milk

Seems like 90% of early music is vocal?

North Star

Quote from: milk on February 03, 2018, 06:31:00 PM
Seems like 90% of early music is vocal?
Many of the songs would probably have doubled as instrumental music too, though.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Florestan on February 03, 2018, 11:54:15 AM
When it comes to Early Music Alla Francesca is (one of) my ensembles of choice. This Landini disc is wonderful indeed.
Quote from: Mandryka on February 03, 2018, 09:08:27 AM
Yes, I've just been listening to a cd of Italian music from Gothic Voices called A Song for Francesca, and it's extraordinary how the quality of Landini's music stands out.

This is the only thing I have by Landini--I will look for more.  However, (like Florestan, apparently) I attribute a lot of my appreciation to the ensemble and musical direction.  I have been playing some other disks by the Alla Francesca group, and not only are they all excellent, they are surprisingly distinctive from disk to disk. The Landini features exquisite female vocals, with intricate harmonies, whereas some disks feature a single male singer much of the time--and they seem very comfortable switching between Italian and French, vocal and instrumental. Apparently this group is a subset of Ensemble Gilles Binchois; I haven't compared line-ups, but I suspect they are an ad hoc ensemble with varying members.  Le Roman de la rose may be equally good.   
    Apparently this Landini disk is oop-- at Amazon they are asking $100 for a copy.
It's all good...

Mandryka

Quote from: Mookalafalas on February 03, 2018, 11:53:18 PM
   This is the only thing I have by Landini--I will look for more.  However, (like Florestan, apparently) I attribute a lot of my appreciation to the ensemble and musical direction.  I have been playing some other disks by the Alla Francesca group, and not only are they all excellent, they are surprisingly distinctive from disk to disk. The Landini features exquisite female vocals, with intricate harmonies, whereas some disks feature a single male singer much of the time--and they seem very comfortable switching between Italian and French, vocal and instrumental. Apparently this group is a subset of Ensemble Gilles Binchois; I haven't compared line-ups, but I suspect they are an ad hoc ensemble with varying members.  Le Roman de la rose may be equally good.   
    Apparently this Landini disk is oop-- at Amazon they are asking $100 for a copy.

A very different style with Landini, still a ladies' voice group,  is Anonymous 4

milk

Quote from: North Star on February 03, 2018, 11:22:25 PM
Many of the songs would probably have doubled as instrumental music too, though.
It's interesting. Looking through this thread, it's very hard to find non-vocal recordings. Just an observation. Maybe it's strange but I don't collect much vocal music but I'm always interested in early music. I'm just wondering if early instrumental music wasn't preserved as much?

San Antone

Quote from: milk on February 04, 2018, 01:35:36 AM
It's interesting. Looking through this thread, it's very hard to find non-vocal recordings. Just an observation. Maybe it's strange but I don't collect much vocal music but I'm always interested in early music. I'm just wondering if early instrumental music wasn't preserved as much?

I think because so much music was written for liturgical use and preserved by the major cathedrals, vocal music is what has come down to us.  For most of the medieval period instruments, other than organ, were rarely, if at all, used in church.  I am sure there was plenty of instrumental music played during these pre 1600 periods, but it wasn't written down nor, even if it was, preserved in a library. 

The troubadours sang with instrument accompaniment, and is probably your best bet for at least some instrumental recordings.

milk

Quote from: San Antone on February 04, 2018, 01:43:44 AM
I think because so much music was written for liturgical use and preserved by the major cathedrals, vocal music is what has come down to us.  For most of the medieval period instruments, other than organ, were rarely, if at all, used in church.  I am sure there was plenty of instrumental music played during these pre 1600 periods, but it wasn't written down nor, even if it was, preserved in a library. 

The troubadours sang with instrument accompaniment, and is probably your best bet for at least some instrumental recordings.
Interesting. I listen to a lot of early lute and Vihuela music recently. Yeah, I guess that and organ are the first to come down. I imagine there was plenty of instrumental music around throughout the ages.

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on February 04, 2018, 01:35:36 AM

Check out the two CDs Savall made called Lira d'Espiria.

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on February 04, 2018, 03:59:10 AM
I definitely will! Thanks!

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Mandryka on February 04, 2018, 01:18:30 AM
A very different style with Landini, still a ladies' voice group,  is Anonymous 4

Thanks. I'm working on getting a copy.
It's all good...

milk

I'm liking this. Although I don't always love the reverberation on the singing, I like the vocals more than I thought I wold. The instrumental stuff is especially good.

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on February 04, 2018, 03:59:10 AM
I'm going to listen to this today. But, I'm interested in what other recordings people recommend. So, would you say that organ and lute music would be the earliest music we can locate/perform with reasonable justifiability? Are there any recordings, perhaps with vocals, that have substantial instrumental accompaniment that people can recommend? The earliest organs were small chamber organs? I suppose I should go to the organ thread but I'm just curious how far back we can go exactly to find instrumental music and what instruments exist now for performance? Wikipedia says the Valère organ is the oldest. I shall also search for recordings on it.   

milk

I've been listening to this and enjoying it. I'm wondering what other recordings in this thread have a good bit of instrumentation on them - in addition to the vocals. I like this recording because it's balanced between singing and playing.

This one is also mesmerizing!

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on February 09, 2018, 04:07:29 AM

I'm wondering what other recordings in this thread have a good bit of instrumentation on them -

I remember Clemencic's Dufay CD has a lot of music from The Buxheimer Organ Book. There are many other examples  I think from the 16th century, but it's harder for earlier music. Try Ensemble Organum's Codex Faenza CD, it's a recording I really like. Also Ferrara Ensemble's Alexander Agricola CD. I'm sure I'll remember others soon.

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on February 09, 2018, 12:01:45 PM
I remember Clemencic's Dufay CD has a lot of music from The Buxheimer Organ Book.

Yes, that's true, six items from the Buxheimer:

https://www.amazon.de/Guillaume-Dufay-Rene-Clemencic/dp/B000063X8V/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1518215623&sr=1-1&keywords=dufay+clemencic

and certainly a very interesting release.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

San Antone

Quote from: milk on February 04, 2018, 04:36:11 PM
I'm going to listen to this today. But, I'm interested in what other recordings people recommend. So, would you say that organ and lute music would be the earliest music we can locate/perform with reasonable justifiability? Are there any recordings, perhaps with vocals, that have substantial instrumental accompaniment that people can recommend? The earliest organs were small chamber organs? I suppose I should go to the organ thread but I'm just curious how far back we can go exactly to find instrumental music and what instruments exist now for performance? Wikipedia says the Valère organ is the oldest. I shall also search for recordings on it.

This one is good:

Knights, Maids & Miracles : The Spring of Middle Ages
La Reverdie

And La reverdie has others of a similar nature.

milk

Quote from: San Antone on February 12, 2018, 07:54:51 AM
This one is good:

Knights, Maids & Miracles : The Spring of Middle Ages
La Reverdie

And La reverdie has others of a similar nature.
Thanks, I'm going to check it out!