The Early Music Club (EMC)

Started by zamyrabyrd, October 06, 2007, 10:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Johan Van Veen's just posted a review of this 2019 CD, which you'll find on streaming platforms.

When it first came out I was impressed by the Penalosa Ensemble release because of the feeling of domestic music making, like a Schubertiad, However I found that the programme didn't excite my imagination enough to stay the course for a whole CD. I don't know whether this due to me, the music, the performances, or something else. Anyway, I returned to it today after reading Van's review and felt much the same. 

However there's one thing I want to say, there's a couple of songs by a composer called Adam Rener which, I think, are a bit special. Does anyone know anything about Adam Rener - other works? There's one thing on this old stinker

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on July 12, 2020, 02:05:41 AM
Hortus Deliciarum:

I remember buying this CD many years ago under the misapprehension that it was a collection of the music of Hildegard. As it transpired she is only credited four times out of twenty one tracks, the rest being credited to other sources.

Having said that, this is a wonderful CD with heavenly singing from Discantus under the direction of Brigitte Lesne. Nonetheless, I still remember my great disappointment at the time because it was not all Hildegard's music.
Ooh!  This is lovely!  I'm trying to explore more early music myself and found this track from your album on youTube--if anyone else here is curious.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7OYMeaaBGA

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mandryka on July 12, 2020, 11:50:25 PM

Johan Van Veen's just posted a review of this 2019 CD, which you'll find on streaming platforms.

When it first came out I was impressed by the Penalosa Ensemble release because of the feeling of domestic music making, like a Schubertiad, However I found that the programme didn't excite my imagination enough to stay the course for a whole CD. I don't know whether this due to me, the music, the performances, or something else. Anyway, I returned to it today after reading Van's review and felt much the same. 

However there's one thing I want to say, there's a couple of songs by a composer called Adam Rener which, I think, are a bit special. Does anyone know anything about Adam Rener - other works? There's one thing on this old stinker

I'd love to hear that Wunderlich CD?  I believe that I remember reading about these performances a number of years ago (I was busy 'binging' on Fritz Wunderlich then).  How are the remasters?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 02, 2020, 03:52:42 AM

Ooh!  This is lovely!  I'm trying to explore more early music myself and found this track from your album on youTube--if anyone else here is curious.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7OYMeaaBGA

PD

Yes, it is very fine. I am glad that you enjoyed it.

Mandryka

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 02, 2020, 03:56:28 AM
I'd love to hear that Wunderlich CD?  I believe that I remember reading about these performances a number of years ago (I was busy 'binging' on Fritz Wunderlich then).  How are the remasters?

PD

It's ok. You should be able to find samples. My main reservation is that I grow tired of his voice and the approach, it can become quickly monotonous, everything treated in the same way. But in small doses it's alright.

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Officium: [Hilliard Ensemble/Garbarek]

This long standing favourite of mine is a reworking of Early Music by the Hilliard Ensemble/Garbarek. Wailing solo saxophone over a male choir. Anyone who has not experienced this take on Early Music is, I hope, in for a pleasant listening experience. This is something different and perhaps one will either like it or loathe it. I think that it works very well, that it is successful and I like it a lot. It is faithful to the music.

milk

I'm mesmerized by this music. Actually I've been listening to a lot of La Reverdie's recordings.

Pohjolas Daughter

Just listened to Flemish Polyphonic Treasures for Charles V (on Naxos).  Hadn't played that in years.  It was a nice way to start off my morning.

Enjoyed reading (in the booklet) about 'Alamire'--including his spying for Henry VIII--who suspected him of being a double-agent (which according to Wiki was true) and wondered if he had survived that?  Apparently, he was out of England at the time when the news broke and, wisely, decided not to return.

Has anyone here seen any of the manuscripts that he wrote and illustrated?  Were the illustrations very lavish or were they more just functional?  Note:  judging by the CD cover (which I'm guessing is of one of his illustrations), looks like they were fairly ornate.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Quote from: aligreto on August 09, 2020, 01:59:41 AM

This long standing favourite of mine is a reworking of Early Music by the Hilliard Ensemble/Garbarek. Wailing solo saxophone over a male choir. Anyone who has not experienced this take on Early Music is, I hope, in for a pleasant listening experience. This is something different and perhaps one will either like it or loathe it. I think that it works very well, that it is successful and I like it a lot. It is faithful to the music.

Mnemosyne [Hilliard Ensemble/Garbarek]

This album is the sequel to the album Officium [which I posted recently] by the same forces. It is also, basically, the same type of fare but is something of a development upon it. If you liked Officium, you will definitely like Mnemosyne also. It is recorded in a very suitable and appealing acoustic for this atmospheric music i.e. a monastery. It is very calming and relaxing music and, once again, I like the marriage of the old and the new.

milk

just listening to as much of La Reverdie as I can. How do they make this music? I guess I have to read more about it. It's simply magical.

Mandryka

Very good Machaut compilation here - intense and restrained singing, Three songs, of which two are a capella, a handful of pieces of poetry with recorder, nicely done if you can follow the French. The thing exudes amateur, in the best and original sense of the word.

Old San Antone

Quote from: aligreto on August 16, 2020, 01:41:09 AM

This album is the sequel to the album Officium [which I posted recently] by the same forces. It is also, basically, the same type of fare but is something of a development upon it. If you liked Officium, you will definitely like Mnemosyne also. It is recorded in a very suitable and appealing acoustic for this atmospheric music i.e. a monastery. It is very calming and relaxing music and, once again, I like the marriage of the old and the new.

Both have been favorites of mine since they came  out.  Officium was much earlier but when I heard that they had released a follow-up, I immediately sought it out.

I almost always enjoy ECM releases, although some of the early stuff sounds somewhat dated to me now.  The amazing thing about Spotify is the editor created playlists, e.g. there are chronological playlists of the entire ECM catalog.  Wonderful stuff. The New Series sub-label focuses on classical music, and has carved a significant niche in that market, IMO.

MusicTurner

Quote from: Old San Antone on September 13, 2020, 09:06:29 AM
Both have been favorites of mine since they came  out.  Officium was much earlier but when I heard that they had released a follow-up, I immediately sought it out.
(...)

Yes, both of these releases are enjoyable, also for those who, like me, aren't into listening to - or collecting - Gregorian chant otherwise. So I invested in them too.

The Clemencic CD "Mysterium" is another lovely example combining occasional instrumental presence with chant, but after all more historically correct. Currently sold very cheaply by JPC and highly recommended. Mixed choirs, a lot of solo singing too.

And, albeit concerning somewhat different genres, there's of course Savall/Figueras in "El Cant de la Sibilia I", very beautiful too (as far as I remember, Vol.II did not make quite the same impression on me), not to speak of some Hildegard of Bingen releases.

Mandryka

Bit of the shock of the new here - I think this is a very original performance style and well worth finding and listening to. Can't find anything about the background of the singers, where they're coming from - clearly part of a troubadour revival thing involving the ubiquitous Gerard Zuccheto.

I discovered it while exploring different performances of Antonello de Caserta's Ars Subtilior song Amour m'a le cœur mis

Old San Antone

Quote from: aligreto on August 09, 2020, 01:59:41 AM

Quote from: aligreto on August 16, 2020, 01:41:09 AM

And there is a third and fourth - Officium Novum (2010) and Remember Me, My Dear, a 2014 live concert (2019):

aligreto

The Art of Courtly Love [Munrow]

LP 2 of 3 is titled Late Fourteenth Century Avant Garde. I really like the title for its outlook and attitude. I also like the content and the treatment of it. Munrow presents the music in his own inimitable fashion that still sounds very fresh and appealing to me.

aligreto

Quote from: Old San Antone on September 17, 2020, 11:43:41 PM
And there is a third and fourth - Officium Novum (2010) and Remember Me, My Dear, a 2014 live concert (2019):

How interesting. Thank you for posting those.

Mandryka

QuoteAnonymous
Tres joli mois de mai
En un biau vergier

Gilles Binchois (c1400-1460)
Veni creator spiritus

Anonymous
Le mois de mai tres gracieus
J'ai mon cuer mis en une belle tour

John Dunstable (1390-1453)
Ave maris stella

Nicolas Merques (fl1433-1445)
Vous soyez la tres bien venue
Pange lingua

Anonymous
Finir voglo la vita mya

Guillaume Dufay (1397-1474)
Par le regard de vos beaux yeux

Antoine Brumel (1460-1512)
Requiem à quatre voix: Introitus

Anonymous
Or ay je perdu

Antoine de Longueval (?-1525)
Passio Domini nostri

I'm very glad to have found this one. Interesting programme including some rarities. The style and the tone is very much my cup of tea. The production is the work of Vincent Arlettaz,  a scholar, as far as I can see this is the only recording he's been involved with. His website is here

http://www.arlettaz.org/actu.htm