The Early Music Club (EMC)

Started by zamyrabyrd, October 06, 2007, 10:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

This is interesting, rare motets I think some from the Choralis Constantinus, I've only just discovered it, it has a recognisable Savall production style, but if you can put up with that then I think it's worth giving a shot for the motets at least, if you're in the mood for renaissance style.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Traverso

Quote from: Mandryka on October 02, 2020, 10:40:56 AM

This is interesting, rare motets I think some from the Choralis Constantinus, I've only just discovered it, it has a recognisable Savall production style, but if you can put up with that then I think it's worth giving a shot for the motets at least, if you're in the mood for renaissance style.

I'm thinking about purchasing these recordings,do you know them?

Mandryka

Quote from: Traverso on October 08, 2020, 08:11:18 AM
I'm thinking about purchasing these recordings,do you know them?

Yes I do, you know you can hear parts of it on YouTube? It's interesting because it shows two different sides of Isaac's work with the mass - 4 and 6 voiced settings. Organ in alternatim. Good sound, passionate performances, chamber style.

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on October 08, 2020, 12:46:09 PM
Yes I do, you know you can hear parts of it on YouTube? It's interesting because it shows two different sides of Isaac's work with the mass - 4 and 6 voiced settings. Organ in alternatim. Good sound, passionate performances, chamber style.

Listening to the 6 voice mass this morning, the sheer amount of alternatim is really strange to hear - they sing for a minute, then organ for a minute, then another minute of singing, then another minute of organ . . . I wonder if this is the origin of Frescobaldi's toccatas, with their stop-go sections. I have another CD of an Isaac mass with the same alternatim approach, with a very different singing style, much more sensual. Both are good to hear.

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on October 09, 2020, 05:01:23 AM
Listening to the 6 voice mass this morning, the sheer amount of alternatim is really strange to hear - they sing for a minute, then organ for a minute, then another minute of singing, then another minute of organ . . . I wonder if this is the origin of Frescobaldi's toccatas, with their stop-go sections.

Fiori musicali, but not the toccatas.

Quote from: Mandryka on October 09, 2020, 05:01:23 AM
I have another CD of an Isaac mass with the same alternatim approach, with a very different singing style, much more sensual. Both are good to hear.

Which is the other one?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on October 09, 2020, 08:19:14 PM
The one in the picture, this

http://www.cantusmodalis.org/cd-s

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/missae-paschalis-orgelverse/hnum/5383898

Thanks. Sorry, I got you wrong, thinking that the Stewart CD was the first one, but now I see, that you meant the Michael Procter twofer, not realizing that it contains a mass too. I own the Stewart CD already, exquisite organ playing I think.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on October 10, 2020, 02:09:56 AM
Thanks. Sorry, I got you wrong, thinking that the Stewart CD was the first one, but now I see, that you meant the Michael Procter twofer, not realizing that it contains a mass too. I own the Stewart CD already, exquisite organ playing I think.

Yes, fabulous organ playing and a beautiful solo rendition of the Easter chorale at the end.

Old San Antone

https://www.youtube.com/v/-lNaXMBturI

Riccardo Cuor di Leone e Blondel de Nesle

Blondel de Nesle:
L'amours dont sui espris - Ensemble für frühe Musik Augsburg: Amours & Désirs
Onques maiz nus hom ne chanta - Sequentia: Love Songs In The Middle Ages
A L'Entrant D'Este - Graham Derrick, Estampie: Under the Greenwood Tree
Cuers Desirous Apaie - New Orleans Musica da Camera: The Cross of Red

Riccardo Cuor di Leone:
Ja nuns hons pris - Modo Antiquo & Bettina Hoffmann: Secular Songs & Dance From the Middle Ages

Mandryka

Quote from: Old San Antone on October 11, 2020, 07:35:15 AM
https://www.youtube.com/v/-lNaXMBturI

Riccardo Cuor di Leone e Blondel de Nesle

Blondel de Nesle:
L'amours dont sui espris - Ensemble für frühe Musik Augsburg: Amours & Désirs
Onques maiz nus hom ne chanta - Sequentia: Love Songs In The Middle Ages
A L'Entrant D'Este - Graham Derrick, Estampie: Under the Greenwood Tree
Cuers Desirous Apaie - New Orleans Musica da Camera: The Cross of Red

Riccardo Cuor di Leone:
Ja nuns hons pris - Modo Antiquo & Bettina Hoffmann: Secular Songs & Dance From the Middle Ages

I enjoyed the Graham Derrick track the most from that bunch - though I haven't listened to the one with Modo Antiquo. The Derrick CD is a good thing to explore, beautiful singing I think, and a refined conception of the music.  I bet it was a vanity publication through Naxos, you can sense the seriousness of the artists, the commitment.

Old San Antone

https://www.youtube.com/v/EGtEdcb_Zeo

Sumer diner suzzen wunne · Augsburg Early Music Ensemble
Vocal Music (German Courtly Song) - Neidhart Von Reuental / Monch Von Salzburg / Oswald Von Wolkenstein

I haven't delved very much into German Medieval music.  Some of this stuff is really nice.

Carlo Gesualdo

Tonight dear EMC early music club, I'm listening to superb & splendid voice of Gregorian music from my 1951 like mint LP : Chants Grégorien sur decca qui est très bon Évidament - translation I'm listening to tree LP of different era oof making Gregorian, the second is my deutsche Gramophone 1977 my Third is my Philips 1983 LP of Gregorian offering in LP media wow and to think it cost me 2.99 mint well i clean it up whit cleaner  home made dose the job, I all ready said I engineer one good cleaner neato.

What are your favorite early LP of Gregorian music to date in LP or new 2020 in CD ? double questions?

Mandryka

Quote from: deprofundis on October 12, 2020, 12:06:07 AM

What are your favorite early LP of Gregorian music to date in LP or new 2020 in CD ? double questions?

This

https://www.discogs.com/Dominique-Vellard-Emmanuel-Bonnardot-Veritas-Mea-Chant-Gr%C3%A9gorien/release/13413579

PM me if you want the transfers.

I'm also keen on the old recordings made by Godehard Joppich, many if not all have been transferred.

Mandryka

Quote from: Old San Antone on October 11, 2020, 12:52:01 PM

I haven't delved very much into German Medieval music.  Some of this stuff is really nice.

Yes it is, look out for Susanne Lutzenberger's recordings with Per Sonat, for example. I much prefer these German composers to the troubadours.

Old San Antone

Quote from: Mandryka on October 12, 2020, 07:07:08 PM
Yes it is, look out for Susanne Lutzenberger's recordings with Per Sonat, for example. I much prefer these German composers to the troubadours.

You must mean Sabine Lutzenberger   ;)    small typo - but I found her, and thanks.

Mandryka

Quote from: Old San Antone on October 12, 2020, 08:07:45 PM
You must mean Sabine Lutzenberger   ;)    small typo - but I found her, and thanks.

Yes, sorry about that. A male voice I like in this stuff is Eberhard Kummer. Rene Zosso too -- though his recordings may be hard to find.

Carlo Gesualdo

Ensemble of early music that were revelation for you, well Claritas for Marenzio and Gesualdo  make an excellent job, look Marenzio the Salve Regina is so surreal, and the ensemble  Rossoporpora is my discovery on Ricercar division Arcana, it made me like  Luca Marenzio even more than before  gorgeous CD  L'amoroso & Crudo Stile, Mandryka have you heard this friend cheers from montreal and salute !

8)

cheregi

Quote from: deprofundis on October 22, 2020, 09:17:43 AM
Ensemble of early music that were revelation for you, well Claritas for Marenzio and Gesualdo  make an excellent job, look Marenzio the Salve Regina is so surreal, and the ensemble  Rossoporpora is my discovery on Ricercar division Arcana, it made me like  Luca Marenzio even more than before  gorgeous CD  L'amoroso & Crudo Stile, Mandryka have you heard this friend cheers from montreal and salute !

8)

The L'amoroso & Crudo Stile CD really blew my mind, elevates Marenzio to a top 5 composer for me. I'm looking forward to more from the same group.

Also, is anyone in here familiar with Ensemble Cappella Vocal, the rather absurdly-named Japanese group led by Tetsuro Hantai? Among other things, they have recorded almost every Josquin mass according to Rebecca Stewart's modal singing principles, which given the relative dearth of recordings in that style makes this a real treasure trove (even for someone like me who prefers motets to masses and Ockeghem to Josquin). I just discovered this and needed somewhere to share my excitement!

Mandryka

Quote from: cheregi on October 28, 2020, 09:07:03 PM
The L'amoroso & Crudo Stile CD really blew my mind, elevates Marenzio to a top 5 composer for me. I'm looking forward to more from the same group.

Also, is anyone in here familiar with Ensemble Cappella Vocal, the rather absurdly-named Japanese group led by Tetsuro Hantai?

Tetsuro Hanai, not Hantai. Yes I have them singing Machaut. It is indeed modal singing. I'd like to hear the Josquin but have never managed to find it.

cheregi

Quote from: Mandryka on October 29, 2020, 08:24:32 AM
Tetsuro Hanai, not Hantai. Yes I have them singing Machaut. It is indeed modal singing. I'd like to hear the Josquin but have never managed to find it.

Thank you for the correction, that does seem like an especially important distinction... I think I actually had the name of harpsichordist Pierre Hantaï floating around in my head.

I believe most of the CDs can be ordered outside Japan from this website http://www.regulus-classics.com/en/albums_regulus.html#vocal_ensemble_cappella - as soon as I have a more permanent address (I'm currently traveling for an extended period of time) I intend to put in an order, and of course I'll be happy to share the files too.