The Early Music Club (EMC)

Started by zamyrabyrd, October 06, 2007, 10:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old San Antone

Hyperion's November list includes several early music recordings:

Sacred treasures of Christmas
T‎HE LONDON ORATORY SCHOLA CANTORUM
C‎HARLES COLE conductor

A celebration of Christmas from the Nativity through to Candlemas, in music from across sixteenth-century Europe: Renaissance polyphony at its finest.

Sacred motets from the Golden Age
of Spanish polyphony
Sacred treasures of Spain
C‎HARLES COLE conductor

Music to illustrate the Golden Age: a selection of motets from sixteenth-century Spain culminating in Alonso Lobo's great funerary ode for Philip II, Versa est in luctum.

J‎osquin des Prez
Missa Hercules Dux Ferrarie, Missa D'ung aultre amer & Missa Faysant regretz
T‎HE TALLIS SCHOLARS
P‎ETER PHILLIPS conductor

'With this ninth and final release in our Josquin Mass cycle we come to three of his greatest works. Although all three Masses come roughly from his early middle age, together they form a perfect showcase for a genius who felt challenged to make each setting different.' (Peter Phillips)

Biffo

Quote from: Old San Antone on October 31, 2020, 04:27:55 AM
Hyperion's November list includes several early music recordings:

Sacred treasures of Christmas
C‎HARLES COLE conductor

A celebration of Christmas from the Nativity through to Candlemas, in music from across sixteenth-century Europe: Renaissance polyphony at its finest.

Sacred motets from the Golden Age
of Spanish polyphony
Sacred treasures of Spain
C‎HARLES COLE conductor

Music to illustrate the Golden Age: a selection of motets from sixteenth-century Spain culminating in Alonso Lobo's great funerary ode for Philip II, Versa est in luctum.

J‎osquin des Prez
Missa Hercules Dux Ferrarie, Missa D'ung aultre amer & Missa Faysant regretz
T‎HE TALLIS SCHOLARS
P‎ETER PHILLIPS conductor

'With this ninth and final release in our Josquin Mass cycle we come to three of his greatest works. Although all three Masses come roughly from his early middle age, together they form a perfect showcase for a genius who felt challenged to make each setting different.' (Peter Phillips)

I bought the latter two of those issues yesterday and have started to work my way through them - so far the Missa Hecules etc and the works by Guerrero. Both albums are beautifully sung though OVPP enthusiasts might find the London Oratory Schola Cantorum rather too opulent.

Carlo Gesualdo

First I tought Armenian music most have been interesting old armenian music I found something but it was drab and lifeless all hompe were gone until I found this album Voice of Armenian : Sacred and Secular music

I loved it so far captivating,  pretty, soulful  everything this is awesome.

Carlo Gesualdo

First I had the enigmatic Ossesso by this ensemble quite mystifing trip I would agree and say.!

[asin]B07KZG7CZG[/asin]

Than I discover this ensemble add at least 2two more recordings, them being the following there fabulous.

Chanson a boire et a danser- airs de cours ,splendid stuff I tell ya folk at home.  :P c'est comme un beignet fourré a la crême Chantilly mais en mieux (blague)

[asin]B08DBNH58G[/asin]

TThe other one deal whit funny song seculary song Rions Noir.

Excellent stuff ,very  very recommended more so mandatory.  :P ;D

[asin]B07CQL33SY[/asin]

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Old San Antone on October 11, 2020, 07:35:15 AM
https://www.youtube.com/v/-lNaXMBturI

Riccardo Cuor di Leone e Blondel de Nesle

Blondel de Nesle:
L'amours dont sui espris - Ensemble für frühe Musik Augsburg: Amours & Désirs
Onques maiz nus hom ne chanta - Sequentia: Love Songs In The Middle Ages
A L'Entrant D'Este - Graham Derrick, Estampie: Under the Greenwood Tree
Cuers Desirous Apaie - New Orleans Musica da Camera: The Cross of Red

Riccardo Cuor di Leone:
Ja nuns hons pris - Modo Antiquo & Bettina Hoffmann: Secular Songs & Dance From the Middle Ages
Beautiful!  I have it on now....loved the first track so am listening to it further (or was, until I tried to quote the posting to reply!).  How did you happen to come across this compilation?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Old San Antone

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 15, 2020, 05:40:49 AM
Beautiful!  I have it on now....loved the first track so am listening to it further (or was, until I tried to quote the posting to reply!).  How did you happen to come across this compilation?

PD

It was something that popped up on YouTube based on my viewing history - I listen to the music of the troubadours and trouvères quite often. I am glad you enjoyed it.

Mandryka

Vocal Ensemble Cappella are directly influenced by Rebecca Stewart's Modal Singing,  and they are maybe the best example of that style practising today. They are active in Japan, and have some recordings, all of which are hard to get here -- I have their Machaut but nothing else. This is a live performance, with propers, of a mass by Walter Frye. I think it is exceptional.

https://www.youtube.com/v/GCcUQi4cDpk&ab_channel=fonsfloris

and Josquin's Pange Lingua, in an empty Japanese church while COVID was ravaging the country

https://www.youtube.com/v/VT8muEJP8D0&ab_channel=fonsfloris

(oooo -- the Josquin's just gone all spiritual in the Gloria!)

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Carlo Gesualdo

Dear Mandryka I am here to inform you , that I order an old Pierre de Manchicourt recorded in France in 1957, that a good fine year for petrol value, but anyway,it feature Josquin Behemot of a motet miserere  of 20 minutes and an entire obscure masse which never saw the day after, I tell you cher monsieur je vous en pris ne negligé pas les vieux disques ont une âme, this missa has sUch climax cold  and sorrowfull , there is an American pressing of 1970 but pick up the original one
yeah  8)

Allez Mandryka j'ai attraper du gros gibier miam ce vinyl c'est mon cadeau de noel.

A oui treve de paresse, l'abum  le titre :

Pierre de Manchicourt
         Deprez Miserere dei

Pierre de Manchourt Missa Quo Abiit dilectus
         Tuus a holy grail to be a most own.

Carlo Gesualdo

Carmina Predulcia on Naxos ensemble Almara, Music From The Schedel Songbook, nothing bad to say about this purchase , but darn it's short, it'S only 36.47 minutes and Naxos sell it at a full price, they could had included another songbook I just don't, but beside this detail, a huge one, I am satisfied whit the result German songs hmm tasty  ;D

Carlo Gesualdo

;D Hello folks , please let me post on this separately because there is an issue here , what do we barely know is what happen in transitional era in between Gregorian an Ars vetus early ''deboire'', sorry I will says it in french because I might get lost in translation let's clarified...

Cher ami(e)s ils ya une zone tampon en plein centre ouu avant Les Ars Vetus qui n'est pas tout a faits des chants Gregorian et ppeenche plus vers le tout debut des Arts vetus hors ont ne sais quedale sur les compositeur du 11(FIN)12(DEBUT) siecle disont cette époque, certains manuscript de chanson seculaire doivent exister ou mais mélanger unpeu aux Gregorian sans en etre biensur en outre cela me semble mysterieux, les historienns ont t'il perdu des documents.

In English I want to know the foggy era(1050--1150) between  Gregorien and ars vetus, mysterious and enigmatic composer I am nerding out on 12th century and also end of 11 century. So what historian think of this era, oddity music that just sound  let's says bizarre for it's era an highly innovative, or foreign Europa perfume music.

I thank you all and want to apologize again and again and again to people may have had offended or disapproved or whatever I hope you understand, I am human if I falter If I was mean or your perceived me as a bad guy, a nasty person, a loose canon, am working on it since  sometime rarely post but when posting something interesting, I hope to God it get publish. So in the end I wish an awesome new year eve to everyone, even my worst enemy If I have any or my worst hater, so all have been said goodbye take care.   ;)

Mandryka

Aren't elaborate tropes the "zone tampon" you're looking for? Listen for example to the performances from The Winchester Troper on the Schola Gregoriana of Cambridge CD. I think these composers are all anonymous.

Carlo Gesualdo

Quote from: Mandryka on December 30, 2020, 07:30:02 PM
Aren't elaborate tropes the "zone tampon" you're looking for? Listen for example to the performances from The Winchester Troper on the Schola Gregoriana of Cambridge CD. I think these composers are all anonymous.
Hello dear Mandryka, yes this is something worth checking out, thanks a lot friend

Carlo Gesualdo

Here what I had to offer to this post, how about we speak Mare Balticum serie vol 1-3.

What your favorite music of ancient lore Denmark (only have this in download) flac

The second is very interesting since I have it in CD medieval Finland and Sweden vol.2

Vol.3 is about a composer name Wizlav von Rugen, his style remind me of a continuation of Von Reutal, thee logical step.

Mandryka

Quote from: deprofundis on January 03, 2021, 08:58:51 PM

Vol.3 is about a composer name Wizlav von Rugen, his style remind me of a continuation of Von Reutal, thee logical step.

Yes, a good thought, maybe that's what attracted Marc Lewon -- given that he has made such an excellent Neidhart CD. I must say that I think he is in very fine voice on that Wizlav von Rugen recording.

Carlo Gesualdo

Ah...blast just ffound a CD I had by Manfred Cordes and Is wonderful Weser-Renaissance ensemble, when purchasing this at firstt, was skeptical, no because it was composer of poland but because they were nobody to me did not knew them...did not pay much attention tto this CPO release until now, the name of album is :Viirgo Prudentissima- adooration oof the virgin, Marry at the Polish Court, it feature the works of: Marcin Mielczewski, Adam Jarzebski, Mikolaj Zielensky ffor a total of almost 70 minutes counting.

Great Job CPO all musician  are born in mid 17th century. this release a triump.

Carlo Gesualdo

Entering the bold & colorful world of SOLAGE, here the place to start, Ensemble Gothic Voice, name of the album: The Unknow Lovers songs by Solage and Machaut.

This feature most Solage song's if your starving for more Solage I would warmly subject Solage acoustic guitar rendition and semi acoustic, profige Noel Aktchoté done an album pretty, magical, it capture de sspirit of Solage music, very space in way or transcandent!

Another name Batiste Romain and his ensemble le mirroir de la musique was to me logical step after Solage, both are innovative, both share the same kind of chromatism of ancient lore, Lymburgia's music was insightful.
Music of a curious perfume, never seen afterrr Solage and Lymburgia iiss reminescent of Solage, like if he heard his music or music of his kinds.

Ars Subtilior was medieval music third era the most flamboyant extremelly rich in sounds...

Mandryka

For a more sensual approach to Solage than Gothic Voices, try Tetraktys.

Carlo Gesualdo

Quote from: Mandryka on January 12, 2021, 01:02:09 AM
For a more sensual approach to Solage than Gothic Voices, try Tetraktys.

Dear Mandryka I am aware of ensemble Tetraktys , they made incredible records , performance, my eloges goes to them and there skill there Mattheo de Perugia was divine a blessing to my ears.

Speaking of similar subject Mandryka you got to hear the following  Record my definitive Peter Abélard album of all time Herald label tell me what you think to you preffered Bayard Disques  for this composer or Herald label  effort fform U.K IS A '' tour de force'', what grab ya mMandryka among Pierre Abélard  Perhaps  Reflexe Dissk German import of Peter Ebelard in vinyl media have this , smokin awesome

Mandryka

OVPP all male, the central early music pieces are  by Compère (officium di cruce) and Willaert (Pater Noster.) All seems jolly good - if it were a concert you wouldn't regret going.

Carlo Gesualdo

Quote from: Mandryka on March 20, 2021, 01:07:06 AM

OVPP all male, the central early music pieces are  by Compère (officium di cruce) and Willaert (Pater Noster.) All seems jolly good - if it were a concert you wouldn't regret going.

Thanks for sharing Mandryka sound amazing, I trust BIS for quality offering, have a nice day buddy.