The Early Music Club (EMC)

Started by zamyrabyrd, October 06, 2007, 10:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: Trazom H Cab on August 07, 2021, 09:53:24 AM

I own a few pieces of medieval/renaissance sheet music.  This is one of them.  These aren't facsimiles although I do have facsimile pieces as well.

If you want to find out what they are I'd contact Dominique Gatté at this website

https://gregorian-chant.ning.com/
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Carlo Gesualdo

release 1960 quite great

with madrigalist unknow to me, sweet.

Mandryka

Quote from: deprofundis on August 12, 2021, 06:24:21 AM

[asin]Luca Marenzio ensemble Italian Madrigals LP[  /asin] whit madrigalist unknow to me, sweet.

https://www.youtube.com/v/P6TG_AY9_es&list=PLq7nv1joJPpVHNgUMYBfj4QQuBGIymDbc&ab_channel=EnsembleLucaMarenzio%2CFrancoMariaSaraceni-Topic

It is very good -- all on spotify -- even Que's heart will melt.

Mandryka

[asin]Adam DE la Halle , zig zag label 2007 CD

Thank you for mentioning this interesting looking CD. I shall listen to it tonight.

Carlo Gesualdo

I would like to point out I received
Spanish Renaissance music and it's mondo excellentissimo, super F good, true  & genuine, very good LP DECCA gold serie

8)

Carlo Gesualdo

What about music of Huguenots protestant French, we spoken of Claude Goudimal, whom is fairly said an awesome composer, CLaude LE Jeune, and Pascal L'escotart, Ludus Modalis did gem whit these  three composer.

I really like these record , Ludus Modalis is splendid ensemble, also for Guillaume Costeley , on of the best composer of his time.

Mandryka

The instrumental contribution in this is very good, like what Thomas Binkley used to do, but better! The CD revealed to me the variety of music attributed to De La Halle, from jaunty to languid, to cool and voluptuous. It is an outstanding album, and I look forward to exploring the other things that Les Jardins de Courtoisie have done.

Carlo Gesualdo

Quote from: Mandryka on August 15, 2021, 12:24:24 AM
The instrumental contribution in this is very good, like what Thomas Binkley used to do, but better! The CD revealed to me the variety of music attributed to De La Halle, from jaunty to languid, to cool and voluptuous. It is an outstanding album, and I look forward to exploring the other things that Les Jardins de Courtoisie have done.

Well said sir, it's indeed an outstanding album, very top notch, may I dare say classy

milk

This may be of interest. I don't know what a Clavisimbalum is so don't ask me :)

prémont

Quote from: milk on August 15, 2021, 09:12:29 AM

This may be of interest. I don't know what a Clavisimbalum is so don't ask me :)

Yes, of great interest in a rather sparse recorded repertoire. The pieces for clavisimbalum lend the CD some character of sameness (probably the posibilities of variation are small in this ancestor of the harpsichord), but fortunately she plays some pieces for flute in between for variety.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Que

New issue:

Looks interesting.

Carlo Gesualdo

Quote from: Que on August 17, 2021, 12:32:25 PM
New issue:

Looks interesting.
indeed, very appealing album, got to know this gentleman trought Singer Pur ensemble RennaissanceEin Rhein   8)

Carlo Gesualdo

Dear poster of GmG, what new under the sun, well I purchased by mystake an album an old one. West Germany Hungaroton stereo 1980 CD

Orlande de Lassus: Lagrime di San Pietro, Chamber Choir of the Liszt Frerenc Academy of Music  conducted by Istvan Parkai.

Suprising it's very good for an old CD, Paul Van Nevel would agree?

I had the huelgas ensemble of Lagrime Di San Pietro= les larmes de Saint Pierre,=Saint peter Tears and Bo Holten  version too.

:P

Que

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on June 10, 2021, 09:25:00 AM
Yes, that caught my eye as well.  :) 

At 55 minutes not very generous playing time though...   ::)

Was that really all the music this kind of creepy looking king of Scots listened to?  8)

55 minutes of quality time.

Carlo Gesualdo

Adémar de Chabannes was one of the first composer we know of I would like to thank sir Frederick Renz whom  was the direction for a fantastic CD album called: Troped Apostolic(plainchant) Mass for Saint Martial 1029 By Adémar DE Chabannes and his ensembl New York Ensemble for early music, they carved a gem, whit this rare album, I would recommend to everyone, that want to  listen to Gregorian music whit  a very bright shinning  halo of light, a star in the sky, a lighthouse in the azur sky, why did I called it Vox serenitatem, because his music is the voice of serenity, pure and simple, his music carry the listener trought divine radiant contemplation & introspection, good music for prayers, his music is extremely relaxing, like floating on a cloud. It's sad there is only one album  of this  awesome composer, I imagine , they should be one more whit Bowery Psalterium, like the super album by ensemble Cosmedin album called Anima Mea, perhaps , I say perhaps some ''manicotage'' would be appropriated, since we don't know if this composer was against usage of sacred instrument?

Adémar de Chabannes manuscript drawing of St. Cybard in Adémar's hand.
Adémar de Chabannes (sometimes Adhémar de Chabannes) (c. 989–1034[1]) was an eleventh-century French monk, historian, musical composer, and successful literary forger.

Life
Adémar was born at Chabannes, a village in today's Haute-Vienne département of France. Educated at the Abbey Saint-Martial de Limoges, he passed his life as a monk, both there and at the monastery of Saint-Cybard at Angoulême. Adémar died around 1034, most probably at Jerusalem, where he had gone on a pilgrimage.[2]

Writings

The intonation formulas for the 8 tones according to the Aquitanian tonary, which has been partly notated by Adémar (F-Pn lat. 909, fol. 151r-154r)
When Adémar joined the Abbey Saint Martial of Limoges, he was educated by his uncle Roger de Chabannes, cantor of the Abbey between 1010 until his death in 1025.[3] Adémar learned calligraphy, to read, to compose and to notate liturgical chant, to compile and to revise liturgical books, and to compose and to write liturgical poetry, homilies, chronicles and hagiography.[4] His life was mainly spent in writing and transcribing chant books and chronicles, and his principal work is a history entitled Chronicon Aquitanicum et Francicum or Historia Francorum. This is in three books and deals with Frankish history from the reign of Pharamond, king of the Franks, to 1028. The first two books are scarcely more than a copy of earlier histories of Frankish kings, such as the Liber Historiae Francorum, the Continuation of Fredegar and the Annales regni Francorum. The third book, which deals with the period from 814 to 1028, is of considerable historical importance.[5] It relies partly on the Chronicon Aquitanicum, to which Adémar himself added a final notice for the year 1028.

Forgery
He embraced the developing tale that Saint Martial, the third century bishop who Christianized the Limoges district, had actually lived centuries earlier, and was in fact one of the original apostles. And he supplemented the less than scanty documentation for the alleged 'apostolicity' of Martial, first with a forged Life of Martial, as if composed by Martial's successor, Bishop Aurelian. To effect this claim, he composed an "Apostolic Mass" that still exists in Adémar's own hand (F-Pn lat. 1121, ff. 28v-32v). The local bishop and abbot seem to have cooperated in the project and the mass was first sung on Sunday, August 3, 1029.[6]

Unfortunately for Adémar, the liturgy was disrupted by a travelling monk, Benedict of Chiusa, who denounced the improved Vita of Martial as a provincial forgery and the new liturgy as offensive to God. The word spread, and the promising young monk was disgraced. Adémar's reaction was to build forgery upon forgery, inventing a Council of 1031 that confirmed the 'apostolic' status of Martial, even a forged papal letter. The reality of this pathological tissue of forgeries was only unravelled in the 1920s, by a historian, Louis Saltet. Mainstream Catholic historians ignored Saltet's revelations until the 1990s.[citation needed]

In the long run, Adémar was successful. By the late 11th century, Martial was indeed venerated in Aquitaine as an apostle, though his legend was doubted elsewhere. In a very direct way, Adémar's Mass shows the power of liturgy to effect worship.

Works and legacy
Adémar composed his musical Mass and office according to the local school of his uncle Roger who worked as a cantor between 1010 until his death in 1025 at St. Martial Abbey using those modal patterns, as they have been documented in the tonaries of the new troper-prosers (F-Pn lat. 1121, 909), chant books to which Adémar had partly contributed as a notator. Concerning the Apostolic feast of the patron he composed as well the hymns as the music which had become the metier of a cantor at Saint Martial. For this liturgical occasion which he had to create, he contributed like other cantors with own compositions, especially in the tropes (extended musical items added to existing liturgical texts).

According to James Grier, Professor of Music History in the Don Wright Faculty of Music at the University of Western Ontario, Adémar was the first person to write music using the musical notation still in use today. He placed the musical notes above the text, higher or lower according to the pitch. Professor Grier states that "Placement on the vertical axis remains the standard convention for indicating pitch in notation in Western culture and there is far greater weight on pitch than on many other elements such as dynamics and timbre". Therefore, in discovering this document written around 1000 years in the past, Professor Grier turns Adémar in one of the first—if not the first—to write music using "modern" notation.

Mandryka

This record is a great favourite of mine and I recommend it enthusiastically to anyone who enjoys Abelard, for example, or the St Gall music. The music is melodic, emotionally rich and moving. New York Ensemble for Early Music is a wonderful ensemble -- they can make a 12 minute gloria, a responsary of two soloists, riveting.

Carlo Gesualdo

Quote from: Mandryka on August 28, 2021, 07:33:19 AM
This record is a great favourite of mine and I recommend it enthusiastically to anyone who enjoys Abelard, for example, or the St Gall music. The music is melodic, emotionally rich and moving. New York Ensemble for Early Music is a wonderful ensemble -- they can make a 12 minute gloria, a responsary of two soloists, riveting.

Bonjour cher Mandryka
merci d'avoir partagé sur ce post.

Indeed this album fantastic folks, buy it before they get out of print  :)

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mandryka