The Early Music Club (EMC)

Started by zamyrabyrd, October 06, 2007, 10:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

premont

Quote from: deprofundis on September 16, 2021, 05:36:12 AM
Hello folks

I received two interresting LP Archive Production

The Early Renaissance serie B: From Oswald Wolkenstein up to The Locheimer Liederbuch.

And

The High Renaissance (16th Century) series B: At the imperial court of Maximilian I

Love this LP a lot I wonder if some people heard them so far here on GmG.

As to specific information you are often very minimalistic, but I suppose, that the Lochamer Liederbuch CD is the one by the Uhlsamer Collegium and the Imperial court CD is the one by Harnoncourt. I know both of these long-time Archiv classics well. The Uhlsamer Collegium CD is IMO most relevatory while the Harnoncourt is a bit lala. This was also Harnoncourt's only recording for Archiv.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

SonicMan46

Philips, Peter (c.1560-1628) - Keyboard Works & Motets w/ the performers below; he is also well represented in the Fitzwilliam Virginal Book - seems to have been a prolific composer not well represented by available recordings looking at Amazon; a check of BRO shows a few that I might just pick up?  Dave :)

QuotePeter Philips (c.1560–1628) was an eminent English composer, organist, and Catholic priest exiled to Flanders. He was one of the greatest keyboard virtuosos of his time, and transcribed or arranged several Italian motets and madrigals by such composers as Lassus, Palestrina, and Giulio Caccini for his instruments. Some of his keyboard works are found in the Fitzwilliam Virginal Book. Philips also wrote many sacred choral works. (Source)

Mandryka

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 18, 2021, 11:35:14 AM
Philips, Peter (c.1560-1628) - Keyboard Works & Motets w/ the performers below; he is also well represented in the Fitzwilliam Virginal Book - seems to have been a prolific composer not well represented by available recordings looking at Amazon; a check of BRO shows a few that I might just pick up?  Dave :)

If you've got spotify have a listen to Elizabeth Farr on Naxos playing the Zentis 1658. Siegbert Rampe, Emer Buckley and Colin Booth also consistently rewarding, Anneke Uittenbosch is for me a bit patchy, though the high points are very high. If you are prepared to buy it, I think that the two Rampe volumes are particularly worthwhile for the selection of instruments, with MDG sound.

I'm not crazy about the harpsichord player but other people are, so this may float your boat

Peter Philips is a very good composer of keyboard music I think, lyrical.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mandryka on September 19, 2021, 02:29:46 AM
If you've got spotify have a listen to Elizabeth Farr on Naxos playing the Zentis 1658. Siegbert Rampe, Emer Buckley and Colin Booth also consistently rewarding, Anneke Uittenbosch is for me a bit patchy, though the high points are very high. If you are prepared to buy it, I think that the two Rampe volumes are particularly worthwhile for the selection of instruments, with MDG sound.

I'm not crazy about the harpsichord player but other people are, so this may float your boat

Peter Philips is a very good composer of keyboard music I think, lyrical.

Hi Mandryka - probably considered one of the best keyboardist of his time - I made a BRO order yesterday which included 3 Philips discs, one w/ Rampe (V. 2 - did not have V. 1; not even on Presto as a DL) and 2 of sacred works; also have Elizabeth Farr as a 'used CD' in my Amazon cart and will likely order - have not checked the 'duplications' w/ Rampe, V.2 nor w/ my Paul Nicholson recording; hope not a lot!  Dave :)

SonicMan46

Tomkins, Thomas (1572-1656) - just have the first 3 CDs shown below; as stated in the quote below, he was an excellent keyboard composer and player - I just have the single disc w/ Carole Cerasi, but there are 4 volumes (last pic) on MDG that appear to be unavailable - any comments on this performer?  He also wrote a LOT of other music as outlined.  He had a terrible time during the English Civil War but lived a long life - thoughts and comments appreciated.  Dave :)

QuoteThomas Tomkins was a Welsh-born composer of the late Tudor and early Stuart period. In addition to being one of the prominent members of the English Madrigal School, he was a skilled composer of keyboard and consort music, and the last member of the English virginalist school. Tomkins wrote and published madrigals; 76 pieces of keyboard (organ, virginal, harpsichord) music, consort music, anthems, and liturgical music. Stylistically he was extremely conservative: he seems to have completely ignored the rising Baroque practice around him, with its Italian-inspired idioms, and he also avoided writing in most of the popular forms of the time, such as the lute song, or ayre. His polyphonic language was frankly that of the Renaissance. Some of his madrigals are extremely expressive, with text-painting and chromaticism worthy of Italian madrigalists. He was also a prolific composer of both full and verse anthems, writing more than almost any other English composer of the 17th century. (Source)

Mandryka

There's a fair bit of discussion between me and bioluminescentsqud about the Klapprott, which I like very much, it is a frequent source of pleasure, but he initially thought was dull, and eventually I think he had an epiphany and came round to my point of view. The set uses harpsichord and organ.  Klapprott has an amazingly good anthology CD called All Lust und Freud, he accompanied Bob Van Asperen in Art Of Fugue, he is one of the organists in the late complete Bach with Kooimann - he is a well respected active academic musician.

You may want to look out for Fretwork's recording called Above the Stars, and an organ recording with Hadrien Jourdan. There are a lot of vocal collections which I haven't explored.  Note that Bertrand Cuillier recorded a CD called Mr Tomkins and his lessons of worth, the title refers to a contemporary anthology by various composers (including Tomkins)

Mandryka

SonicMan46

Tallis, Thomas (c. 1505-1585) - Complete Works in the Brilliant box below - on the first 3 discs; there is a CD-ROM that has a 75 page PDF file (on my computer) describing each disc w/ words/translations of the vocal works.  Disc 9 is described as 'Instrumental Music & Songs' - but not really a 'keyboard compilation' - much of his solo KB works, whether for organ or other instruments of the 16th century seems to be lost and possibly undiscovered?  Not owned by me is the Taylor recording of Tallis' 'Complete KB Works' - would enjoy comments on this disc or possibly other options to supplement my box?  Dave :)

QuoteThomas Tallis was an English Renaissance composer who occupies a primary place in anthologies of English choral music. He is considered one of England's greatest composers, and he is honoured for his original voice in English musicianship. Tallis served at court as a composer and performer for Henry VIII, Edward VI, Mary I, and Elizabeth I. He was first designated as an organist at the chapel after 1570. He avoided the religious controversies that raged around him throughout his service to successive monarchs, though he remained an "unreformed Roman Catholic". Tallis was capable of switching the style of his compositions to suit each monarch's different demands. He stood out among other important composers of the time. The author and composer Ernest Walker wrote that "he had more versatility of style" than Tye and White, and "his general handling of his material was more consistently easy and certain. Tallis taught the composer William Byrd. (Source - edited)

Mandryka

Carlo Gesualdo

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 20, 2021, 08:08:50 AM
Tallis, Thomas (c. 1505-1585) - Complete Works in the Brilliant box below - on the first 3 discs; there is a CD-ROM that has a 75 page PDF file (on my computer) describing each disc w/ words/translations of the vocal works.  Disc 9 is described as 'Instrumental Music & Songs' - but not really a 'keyboard compilation' - much of his solo KB works, whether for organ or other instruments of the 16th century seems to be lost and possibly undiscovered?  Not owned by me is the Taylor recording of Tallis' 'Complete KB Works' - would enjoy comments on this disc or possibly other options to supplement my box?  Dave :)

Sir +1
I seriously agree Alistair Dixon, know how to put out great Tallis, I have this one too in download and a CD of this huge awesome box-set, master work!!

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mandryka on September 20, 2021, 12:29:50 PM
This

Thanks - own plenty of CDs by Fretwork but not the one shown - $30+ on Amazon USA, cheaper but not available as a physical disc on PrestoMusic, MP3 DL there the usual $10 or so.  Dave :)

Mandryka

Quote from: deprofundis on September 20, 2021, 04:57:57 PM
Sir +1
I seriously agree Alistair Dixon, know how to put out great Tallis, I have this one too in download and a CD of this huge awesome box-set, master work!!

Yes there are some interesting things in the instrumental music in the Dixon box, a lovely performance of the Felix Namque ii on lute, for example. It may well be the thing by Tallis I like the most ever. Charivari Agreeable are sweet too, and Laurence Cummings is able to play the notes in the right order.

Mandryka

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 21, 2021, 09:39:16 AM
Thanks - own plenty of CDs by Fretwork but not the one shown - $30+ on Amazon USA, cheaper but not available as a physical disc on PrestoMusic, MP3 DL there the usual $10 or so.  Dave :)

It was their first recording and there's a sense of freshness about it. Some rare music, and most of it quite early.

SonicMan46

Tye, Christopher (c.1505-c.1573) - short synopsis below w/ link; a respected English Renaissance composer and music teacher to Edward VI - apparently prolific but little was published during his life and much of his output likely lost.  I have the first two CDs shown below - the consort music w/ Phantasm was a Spotify listen this morning, and enjoyed!  More is available on Amazon USA than I expected, but any comments, recommendations, etc. would be appreciated.  Dave :)

QuoteChristopher Tye(c.1505 – before 1573) was an English Renaissance composer and organist. Probably born in Cambridgeshire, he trained at the University of Cambridge and became the master of the choir at Ely Cathedral. He is noted as the music teacher of Edward VI of England and was held in high esteem for his choral music, as well as chamber works such as his 24 polyphonic In nomines. It is likely that only a small percentage of his compositional output survives, often only as fragments; his Acts of the Apostles was the only work to be published in his lifetime. (Source)

Carlo Gesualdo

I really like Jachet DE Berchem= Jacques DE Berchem on Accent label, and all he done O Jesus Christie and a superb Alleluia, unfortunately, he a small town boy of the composer, no one care or is aware of, my advice would be grab, stream , download the CD of accent, it's very sweet , I really like the man work.

Darn how come musicologist ensemble don't care about this composer, look I know he was not prolific but I like his work so much I want more please, ensemble of renowned please, put out more Berchem or I am gonna seriously get mad, like Howard Beale (The movie of 1976 ''The network'') loll  :laugh: I'm serious now please?

In my book he a small player in Franco-Flemish matrix but his work his quite strong and spiritual, pretty and awesome, anyone agree whit me?

Anyone like Jacob Van Berchem here ???
Mandryka do you know obscure release, anyone here know stuff I don't know... 

Mandryka

Phantasm not for me - contrasts too underlined at the expense of poise; the balance favours the treble rather than a more equally balanced polyphonic texture.

I think you should explore Hilliard Ensemble's recording with Tye's Missa Sine Nomine on ECM and the Rose Consort's recording called Four Gentlemen of the Chapel Royal.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mandryka on September 22, 2021, 07:51:12 PM
Phantasm not for me - contrasts too underlined at the expense of poise; the balance favours the treble rather than a more equally balanced polyphonic texture.

I think you should explore Hilliard Ensemble's recording with Tye's Missa Sine Nomine on ECM and the Rose Consort's recording called Four Gentlemen of the Chapel Royal.

Neither of the suggestions above on Spotify - I'm finding that much of this older 'early music' is OOP, unavailable, overpriced, or only obtainable via DLs, which I'm not doing much anymore - but did find a couple of Tye recordings on Spotify below - really loved the 'recorder consort' program but the CD is $30+ on Amazon USA, just not worth the price for me (Presto has a $10 MP3 DL & Qobuz a $10 CDA DL, either I would burn to a CD-R and label?).  Dave :)

SonicMan46

Phillipe de Vitry (1291-1361) - 14th Century Motets w/ the Orland Consort, last entry in my 'early music' composer sub-collection (the compilation section up next and much smaller in number) - this is my only recording of this 'Ars Nova' notable, and a MP3 DL burned CD-R, so sounds fine on my den speakers; not much else comes up on Amazon and not sure how much of his music is extant - not much listed in the link below and many are questioned as being dubious attributions?  Dave :)

QuotePhilippe de Vitry (1291 – 1361) was a French composer, music theorist and poet. He was an accomplished, innovative, and influential composer, and may also have been the author of the Ars Nova treatise. He was widely acknowledged as the greatest musician of his day, with Petrarch writing a glowing tribute, calling him: "... the keenest and most ardent seeker of truth, so great a philosopher of our age." Though de Vitry likely wrote secular music, only his sacred works survive. (Source)

Mandryka

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 23, 2021, 07:56:55 AM
Neither of the suggestions above on Spotify - I'm finding that much of this older 'early music' is OOP, unavailable, overpriced, or only obtainable via DLs, which I'm not doing much anymore - but did find a couple of Tye recordings on Spotify below - really loved the 'recorder consort' program but the CD is $30+ on Amazon USA, just not worth the price for me (Presto has a $10 MP3 DL & Qobuz a $10 CDA DL, either I would burn to a CD-R and label?).  Dave :)

I know both of them, I think they're both OK, not objectionable in any way. Have you heard Savall -- his approach is unique in this music.

The truth is that in my heart of hearts I'm not totally convinced that anyone has managed to find a good way of making sense of Tye's music. The Rose Consort is good, but it's only a few pieces. Hilliard is good, but it's a very early mass, not representative of his later work.

Mandryka

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 23, 2021, 08:13:26 AM
Phillipe de Vitry (1291-1361) - 14th Century Motets w/ the Orland Consort, last entry in my 'early music' composer sub-collection (the compilation section up next and much smaller in number) - this is my only recording of this 'Ars Nova' notable, and a MP3 DL burned CD-R, so sounds fine on my den speakers; not much else comes up on Amazon and not sure how much of his music is extant - not much listed in the link below and many are questioned as being dubious attributions?  Dave :)

It's excellent but you need to have Sequentia too, which is also excellent and is, of course, slightly different. Sorry, but that's the way it is.

http://www.sequentia.org/recordings/recording08.html