The Early Music Club (EMC)

Started by zamyrabyrd, October 06, 2007, 10:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 09, 2021, 08:18:37 AM
Well, I just finished listening to the recordings below on Spotify and enjoyed both - my Hogwood CD is just 52 mins in length and has dated sound - found a 'used' copy of Toll on Amazon USA and made a purchase - will replace the Hogwood (just loosing 3-4 pieces and picking up 5).  Thanks again for the suggestions.  Dave :)

You're probably not looking for Gibbons any more, but in case you are, see what you think of this. His frank and lyrical style in this recording - he's not the most nuanced keyboard player - puts me in mind of Tilney.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

premont

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 09, 2021, 08:18:37 AM
Well, I just finished listening to the recordings below on Spotify and enjoyed both - my Hogwood CD is just 52 mins in length and has dated sound - found a 'used' copy of Toll on Amazon USA and made a purchase - will replace the Hogwood (just loosing 3-4 pieces and picking up 5).  Thanks again for the suggestions.  Dave :)

I also had much pleasure from the Gibbons-CDs by James Johnstone:

https://www.amazon.de/Orlando-Gibbons-Music-Harpsichord-Virginals/dp/B01G7OFWYG/ref=sr_1_20?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&crid=1IXOEO466DWW2&dchild=1&keywords=orlando+gibbons&qid=1635802473&s=music&sprefix=orlando+gibbons%2Caps%2C168&sr=1-20

and Laurent Stewart (a CD with works by Gibbons and Byrd):

https://www.amazon.de/Cembalowerke-Laurent-Stewart-Cembalo/dp/B000024047/ref=sr_1_112?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&crid=1IXOEO466DWW2&dchild=1&keywords=orlando+gibbons&qid=1635802265&s=music&sprefix=orlando+gibbons%2Caps%2C168&sr=1-112
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Carlo Gesualdo

I just bought a mysterious LP'S set of The netherlands perhaps a set, since shipping was insane for USA, darn but here the vinyl in question not on discogs nor amazon this is a rare

Carlo Gesualdo  on a mysterious setting of Poland not sure of the year it were release?

Perhaps someone know here, and older person from Poland or Slavic country, or whatever this is exiting, don't know what I am getting into but  seem rather old recordings, I'm nostalgic perhaps the 60'' early.

North Star

According to Biblioteka Narodowego Instytutu Fryderyka Chopina w Warszawie, it was released in 1975.

http://biblioteka.nifc.pl/cgi-bin/koha/opac-detail.pl?biblionumber=2720
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Carlo Gesualdo

Quote from: North Star on November 05, 2021, 04:57:16 AM
According to Biblioteka Narodowego Instytutu Fryderyka Chopina w Warszawie, it was released in 1975.

http://biblioteka.nifc.pl/cgi-bin/koha/opac-detail.pl?biblionumber=2720

Thank you North Star  8)

Carlo Gesualdo

My turn to pull the string of knowledge into this world, a key composer in the ars subtilior is also the not has notorious Bortet or sometime called Borlet, maybe these are two separated composer, whit acronyms. Also Trébor his music was smokin in the most advance middle age period thee dawn of Renaissance.

He on ensemble Tetrakys, ensemble crawford young Ferrara 4 CD  bunch of long song's of him, his music quite , interesting and appealing.

Mandryka

Quote from: deprofundis on November 08, 2021, 06:31:55 PM
My turn to pull the string of knowledge into this world, a key composer in the ars subtilior is also the not has notorious Bortet or sometime called Borlet, maybe these are two separated composer, whit acronyms. Also Trébor his music was smokin in the most advance middle age period thee dawn of Renaissance.

He on ensemble Tetrakys, ensemble crawford young Ferrara 4 CD  bunch of long song's of him, his music quite , interesting and appealing.

According to wiki Trebor is verlan for Robert.

Que

Crossposting from the WAYLT thread:

A significant release since I haven't heard more by German born Johannes Cleeff aka Johannes de Cleve than the motet that is included in volume I of the Leiden Choirbooks, and another motet and a tenor Lied on the recording Renaissance am Rhein by Singer Pur.

Johannes de Cleve was a composer active at the court of Ferdinand I and Charles II. He was presumably born in the Duchy of Cleves, and recruited into the court as a choirboy in the same way as Lassus and many others. He was originally a singer in Ferdinand's chapel in Vienna, but when Charles II organized a new chapel in Graz in 1564, he appointed de Cleve as the first Kapellmeister in Graz.

So, what to make of it?
Johannes de Cleve was not the brightest star in the Franco-Flemish firmament. A small master with a rather conservative style, dense with lots of counterpoint. I think the relative lack of clarity mentioned in some of the reviews is mainly on the composer and not on the performances by Cinquecento. For me the performances by Cinquecento elevate the music to a level that makes it worthwhile. Perhaps a little less polish and blending would have been even better. But overall, as a Franco-Flemish addict, I'm happy to have more by this composer. Nonetheless: not a top priority in Franco-Flemish repertoire or Cinquecento recordings, generally speaking.

https://earlymusicreview.com/johannes-de-cleve-missa-rex-babylonis/
https://www.gramophone.co.uk/review/cleve-missa-rex-babylonis-cinquecento
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2020/Jul/Cleve_missa_CDA68241.htm
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2020/Aug/Cleve-missa-CDA68241.htm

Que

Cossposting from the WAYLT tgread:

Cinquecento's 1st Regnart recording was nice, but this is a IMO a significant step up. Cinquecento's strong points have always been their strong ensemble interplay and vocal blending. Here they achieve the sobriety and clarity suited for this music. And the amazing quality of the music makes it worth our while! Wonderfully done, one of their strongest recordings to date IMO. Strongly recommended.

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2021/Oct/Regnart-masses-CDA68369.htm

https://earlymusicreview.com/regnart-missa-christ-ist-erstanden/

https://www.gramophone.co.uk/review/regnart-missa-christ-ist-erstanden-and-other-works

Que

It seems that the ensemble the sound and the fury is still very much alive!

November release, complete with cover in the usual style:

https://frabernardo.com/portfolio-item/ockeghem-2-the-sound-and-the-fury/#tab-id-1

Needless to say that I will ignore the lack of stylish artwork, and will check this out to check for the occasional TSATF gemm....

EDIT:

My mistake to be mislead by Fra Bernardo.... It appears to be a reissue of the recording, previously issued by ORF. 
Also with a ridiculous cover, so not much improvement there.... ;)

Carlo Gesualdo

Why musicologist fon't like him, I mean he a great theorician, by the way I am still alive, I was just saying hello there folks, and I love my NON-SUCH LP of Johannes Tinctoris a lot.

Paul Mc cartney said about beatles no  Lead belly no Beatles, well I would go just as far has saying no Tinctoris no Ockegem, he learn from Tinctoris improve from him?

Carlo Gesualdo

Quote from: Que on November 20, 2021, 12:06:21 AM
It seems that the ensemble the sound and the fury is still very much alive!

November release, complete with cover in the usual style:

https://frabernardo.com/portfolio-item/ockeghem-2-the-sound-and-the-fury/#tab-id-1

Needless to say that I will ignore the lack of stylish artwork, and will check this out to check for the occasional TSATF gemm....

EDIT:

My mistake to be mislead by Fra Bernardo.... It appears to be a reissue of the recording, previously issued by ORF. 
Also with a ridiculous cover, so not much improvement there.... ;)

QUE hello nice sir kind soul wonderfull humans, I like to hear this The sound and the fury doeing Ockeghem woaw how can I go wrong whit this , this most be very mighty record, I'm sold out to Flemish, I'm an asset of Flander Belgium and The Netherlands, ask  the Dutch, thee Flemish only the best the smart the coolest folks , they would says yes deprofundis a beautiful mind, he like us, Dutch are honnest Flemish doeing awesome  renaissance music that paralel the genius of German Baroque in skill in polyphony, whit all due respect whit Germans, of course, Psst Flandria greatess folk, listen I know all the Jonannes  the great one of renaisance and pssit Walloons avec ton francais c'est bien sont jolie vos femmes en plus, spoken in frensch I don't undermine you're skill in renaissance, vive les peuple belgo , les Flemish , les Allemands Belge,  I am you're kind in exile you're speculative whiteout power sociological historic knowledge kind strategist in new world Amerika not a token boy, but I stay humble, Love my Beneluxian Citizens, of smart breed super mensa  yet fun and nice, I'm not on drug see, what I say beleive, we should have in amerika New Flandria , So my neighborhood become La petite Flandre, Flemish vassal of franco-flemish worshiper of skill in classical music, the most eminent  musicologist, tog gunners, I won't to form a mensa made of quebecer (Franco) AND Flemish built a good friendship between us, see  ressucitated classical music talent in montreal rosemont old rosemont in church,  Only Franco Flemish music I choose I am king and Dj,how about it, concert become spiritual gathering, chruch become full because amateur super ensemble star to grow in northen amerika quebec montreal Rosemont vieux Rosemont, district.

I like the sound of it the small Flandria or neo Flandria in amerika yeah and deprofundis has the humble king, some manner polite man, and I wont people to go to church because music is exclusively franco-Flemish of renaissanse the Great Josquin and Isaac, and some northen franken specimen I like Jachet De Mantoue or good once again northern Franken but this time the goodness of Goudimel, LeJeune , Lestocart. Masse become ancient mass of class common is there more classy and sexy to the hear has Frabco Flemish  prodige such has Crequillion, Clemens Or Ghizeghem, De Sayve hey! admit!!! I love you folks  ;)

Que

Crossposting from the WAYLT thread:

An ensemble new to me: Franco-Flemish, Belgian based, five singers.  This is their 2nd recording.

The composer is new to me as well, apart from a snippet or two. Some info:

Andreas Pevernage (1542/3–1591) is best remembered today as the choirmaster of Antwerp Cathedral and as the composer of several picture motets that are now classified as masterpieces of Flemish culture. Whilst Pevernage spent his entire professional career in Flanders, which may well have contributed to his music being less well known today, he was nonetheless considered as the equal of Orlandus Lassus, Clemens non Papa and Giaches de Wert during his lifetime: the quality of his music is in no wise inferior to the works of his more famous contemporaries. Pevernage adopted the innovations of the Italian madrigal and also breathed new life into the chansons of the Low Countries. This selection of works, mostly for five parts, is an invitation to discover his stylistic and creative diversity.

I liked the sound and approach of the ensemble, although technically they are OK but not impressive.
The music has the novelty factor, hence the Diapson d'Or "découverte". But perhaps in his time he was seen as an equal to the greatest, but unfortunately he isn't. It's nice, but for Late Renaissance this doesn't have the level of sophistication of Lassus or De Wert.

Perhaps I'll give this another go on Spotify some time, but for now it does not go onto the shopping list.

Cato

Quote from: deprofundis on November 21, 2021, 10:15:03 PM
Why musicologist fon't like him, I mean he a great theorician, by the way I am still alive, I was just saying hello there folks, and I love my NON-SUCH LP of Johannes Tinctoris a lot.

Paul Mc cartney said about beatles no  Lead belly no Beatles, well I would go just as far has saying no Tinctoris no Ockegem, he learn from Tinctoris improve from him?

Here is the NONESUCH recording: great company!

https://www.youtube.com/v/yZk6IhwhW9A
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

vers la flamme

Stupid question for you erudite folk: do you consider Schütz to be a Renaissance or a Baroque composer? Why?

The new erato

Baroque I think, becaus of less reliance on strict poyphony and more on the use of a firm bass.

My lack of theory in these matters is shown in my answer, but is is a good question. Is Beethoven a classicist or a romantic? It depends....and it is tempting to answer neither.

Carlo Gesualdo

Quote from: vers la flamme on November 24, 2021, 07:59:58 PM
Stupid question for you erudite folk: do you consider Schütz to be a Renaissance or a Baroque composer? Why?

Dear vers la flammes, I can answer you're question, Schutz is a composer of renaissance firmaly, but is music so evovle he is quasi Baroque.

vers la flamme

Quote from: The new erato on November 24, 2021, 11:40:07 PM
Baroque I think, becaus of less reliance on strict poyphony and more on the use of a firm bass.

My lack of theory in these matters is shown in my answer, but is is a good question. Is Beethoven a classicist or a romantic? It depends....and it is tempting to answer neither.

I'm inclined to agree, with what little Schütz I've heard, anyway. If Monteverdi is a Baroque composer despite some harmonic flavors that resonate more with those of the Renaissance (yes I'm aware that the term "harmony" does not really apply vis à vis Renaissance music), then so is Schütz.

Mandryka

I know nothing about Lassus, but it may be that some of his music is more renaissance style than baroque, some the other way round. I'd argue that that's the way it is with Trebaci and Monteverdi.

Carlo Gesualdo

Okay you sin and never pay attention to might of Jacob Obrecht did you actuall yah done this, repent whit the folowing CD whit a fantastic ensemble and sounds of Capella de le Torre ensemble , a humble  but very great label fur musik der rennaissance das itch Alte Musik for one solid composer, any aware people in musiclogist all agree whit me the rendition of works are sublime ans surreal, real darn good stuff I say.

;)