The Early Music Club (EMC)

Started by zamyrabyrd, October 06, 2007, 10:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: deprofundis on May 15, 2022, 10:06:44 AM
My wish to day is to talk about the theme in renaissance of Spain & the New World, music I am revisting whit few release very  great, will talk about the one of course, my comment and why is Spanish New World so darn fascinating.

Ok what about a very good entry in the subject SPAIN and the New  Worldthis double album is captivating, 2 hours 10+ minutes, nearly bought this one, seen it on the market and darn it was expensive so had to download it and the download was not a give away either at almost 30$ + another album I also download from Presto Music amother very good title: Los Ministries in the  New World.

I had the excellent Michael Cohen directed Nueva Espana and Spain in the New World my favorite so far and first entries in subject on Ricercar I presume judging by sleeve.

What is so appealing about music of New World it's groovy, heck it's Spanish and instrumentation is sunny like castagnetas and so on.

Any other worth to mention release, that should be point out has colorful & sunny or warm if you preffer, musically speaking.

So what is your view on this subject  in the depth, any album I am missing out on, if I like this kind of perticular theme music.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Music-Conquest-Thomas-Crecquillon/dp/B000026CRT/ref=tmm_acd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Antigua-Tecla-Nuevo-Mundo-Videla/dp/B01KAPBEWW/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1211FS2Z9AF5R&keywords=Mario+Videla&qid=1652784559&s=music&sprefix=mario+videla+%2Cpopular%2C44&sr=1-2-catcorr

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zipoli-Sonate-dintavolatura-cimbalo-Domenico/dp/B000024MRT/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1NO1DQIV29493&keywords=zipoli+vartolo&qid=1652784459&s=music&sprefix=zipoli+vartolo%2Cpopular%2C49&sr=1-1
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

This was potentially an exciting release, because the Choralis Constantinus is one of those legendary anthologies which has been little recorded. However, I think it is disappointing. The singing is a bit generic, there's no sense of individual personalities in the voices, they don't sound inspired. To compound things the sound quality is no more than OK.

One problem is the size of the outfit - here's a pic of Ensemble Cantissimo.

Carlo Gesualdo

Quote from: Mandryka on May 25, 2022, 12:55:10 PM

This was potentially an exciting release, because the Choralis Constantinus is one of those legendary anthologies which has been little recorded. However, I think it is disappointing. The singing is a bit generic, there's no sense of individual personalities in the voices, they don't sound inspired. To compound things the sound quality is no more than OK.

One problem is the size of the outfit - here's a pic of Ensemble Cantissimo.

Dear Monsieur, I had same problem whit generic or overdone by Dorothee Mields on vocal  soprano duty, by Basevi Codex, this uspet me the voice is sometime ackward but since Im fair play, The program of the CD  Basevi Codex Music as the Court of Margaret of Austria. This messire you should avoid .

But if you want to hear a solid release try the  new fresh  taste of Melancolia Ensemble, Musica Temprana. Adrian Rodriguez Van Der Spoel, you yes you watching while get this actual composer called Adrian Rodriguez van der Spoel, whit a list of anonymous yet fascinating repertory of  fairly obscur composer to my knowledge, only knowing one  called Pedro De Escobar ( my favorite Dealer) of polyphony of this foggy spanish era 15th century, what about the other , well wait up Im keeping them ostage for later one  ;)

Yes so spill it out Deprofundis: Johannes Urrede (one of the law strong then physic if you like the Johannes of renaissance there is a lot to explore , I win win name. = john = Jean. Garci Sanchez de Badajoz, Juan Ponce, even a mexica anonyms this is nice hey and El canto De la Sibille ''versus Sybile Prophete anonymous 15 century mundo bene, Listen Mandryka this album is for you!

Tha about it  and lastly what do you guys  in EMC like or not the Gesualdo Six Ensemble, I real like there releases of Tallis Jeremiah Lament and Gesualdo Tenebrae Responsoria, very good , and folks stop saying studd like english  or brittish  ensemble are too square in rendition or performance, as predictable and square, I find this ensemble marvelous , splendid, genius.

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on June 12, 2022, 07:45:04 AM
Interesting, I'll definitely give them [Dionysos Now! Willaert] a listen!  :)

Luckily the recordings are available in physical form... on vinyl...  :P

I'm listening to Missa Mittit ad Virginum now. What I'm getting is that this music must sound astonishing, fabulous, in a cathedral. Dionysos Now! aren't beautiful like Cinquecento, but they are very intense, involved, clearly excited to be creating the music. Altogether, a thrilling performance.

Mandryka

Carlo Gesualdo

Monsieur Mandryka, sir you know my reputation here is all I have my impression of a great record, not to be miss out on if you like early vocal music like Chants called MEDIEVAL BYZANTINE CHANT- listen to this album by Capella Romana, the same ensemble that did The Fall of Constantinople. Very relaxing moody not drab at all, the voice sound inspired by Ottoman ., this music for the Feast of January 1th &6th

aligreto

Collegium Vocale Koln: Madrigals - Monteverdi, Download, Gibbons, Gesualdo & others.

The rather dismissive "others" includes music by such composers as Josquin, De La Rue, Jannequin, Lassus, Morley, Arcadelt and Willaert! This quality vocal presentation is very clear and well balanced.

aligreto

Music in the Age of Leonardo Da Vinci [Ensemble Claude-Gervaise]

This music features a number of different composers as well as the ubiquitous Anonymous. The music includes vocal and purely instrumental elements. I find the main vocalist, Cécile Gendron, to be quite pleasant to listen to. All of the musicians play very well both individually and collectively. However, what I particularly like about this album is the textures and sonorities of the instruments featured.

premont

Quote from: aligreto on July 11, 2022, 04:35:21 AM
Music in the Age of Leonardo Da Vinci [Ensemble Claude-Gervaise]

This music features a number of different composers as well as the ubiquitous Anonymous. The music includes vocal and purely instrumental elements. I find the main vocalist, Cécile Gendron, to be quite pleasant to listen to. All of the musicians play very well both individually and collectively. However, what I particularly like about this album is the textures and sonorities of the instruments featured.

Here is a little more information about the content and musicians:

https://www.discogs.com/master/1174324-Ensemble-Claude-Gervaise-Music-In-The-Age-Of-Leonardo-Da-Vinci-Musique-Au-Temps-De-L%C3%A9onard-De-Vinci
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

LKB

Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

coffee

The Leuven Chansonnier is very interesting. Thanks for sharing that.
Liberty for the wolf is death for the lamb.

Mandryka

Quote from: coffee on July 14, 2022, 11:39:35 AM
The Leuven Chansonnier is very interesting. Thanks for sharing that.

I thought the second Leuven Chansonnier CD that Sollazzo ensemble made was a bit disappointing, the music didn't seem so interesting. I'd be interested to hear other people's reactions.

coffee

Quote from: Mandryka on July 14, 2022, 07:03:56 PM
I thought the second Leuven Chansonnier CD that Sollazzo ensemble made was a bit disappointing, the music didn't seem so interesting. I'd be interested to hear other people's reactions.

I don't dislike very much music, and I usually assume that almost all the people involved in making a recording have better knowledge about what they're doing than I do, so I can't help you with this.

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on July 14, 2022, 07:03:56 PM

Recalling it now I had much the same reaction as you, and this may be the reason why I haven't listened to it more than once.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

coffee

I happened to pick up Chants de la liturgie slavonne by the Choeur des Moines de Chevetogne (I think that's something like Chants of the Slavic Liturgy by the Choir of the Monks of Chevetogne Abbey, in Belgium) but I haven't heard it yet.

Anyone heard this?

Harry

Quote from: coffee on July 25, 2022, 08:06:02 PM
I happened to pick up Chants de la liturgie slavonne by the Choeur des Moines de Chevetogne (I think that's something like Chants of the Slavic Liturgy by the Choir of the Monks of Chevetogne Abbey, in Belgium) but I haven't heard it yet.

Anyone heard this?

Yes, as a matter of fact, I have almost all their recordings. If your into this kind of music  it's worth your while.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Que

Quote from: coffee on July 25, 2022, 08:06:02 PM

Anyone heard this?

I know Harry is the connaisseur here! :)
Slavic chant used to be quite popular, but I hardly ever see it on these pages anymore.

milk

I keep forgetting where early organ music goes. Anyway, is Bovet the real deal?

premont

Quote from: milk on August 12, 2022, 02:35:02 AM
I keep forgetting where early organ music goes. Anyway, is Bovet the real deal?

if you are interested in the organ and the oldest surviving keyboard music (Codex Robertsbridge) this CD fulfills the wish rather well. I have heard a few of Bovet's organ recordings and also heard him live at a recital and never found him disappointing.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8065533--guy-bovet-a-lorgue-de-la-basilique-de-valere-1390-the-worlds-oldest-playable-organ
γνῶθι σεαυτόν