The Early Music Club (EMC)

Started by zamyrabyrd, October 06, 2007, 10:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato

Quote from: SonicMan on April 13, 2009, 03:36:58 PM
Sara - hey, I have that disc, also - need to give it a spin, though!  Dave  :D

I have it as well but it seems to have got AWOL in the collection somewhere, when that happens only time will tell how and where it resurfaces. Probably misfiled.

Lethevich

*sigh* My copy also appears to have gone walkabout too, although this is what you get when your filing system comprises of ever-shifting heaps.

A particular appeal of that disc as I recall is how clearly the lines come through. Compared to an ensemble such as the Hilliards, the acoustic hampers the music much less - in the Veni Sancte Spiritus motet it almost sounded like the two were singing different things.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

The new erato

I found a disc of Robert Fayrfax masses which I had missed for 6 months inside a Norah Jones album recently. How is THAT for misfiling?

Coopmv

Quote from: erato on April 14, 2009, 03:01:16 AM
I found a disc of Robert Fayrfax masses which I had missed for 6 months inside a Norah Jones album recently. How is THAT for misfiling?

How do you like the Fayrfax masses?  I bought the following works by Fayrfax a few weeks ago from MDT, all on the Gaudeamus label ...

Missa O quam glorifica, Ave Deo patris filia
Missa Tecum principium, Maria plena virtute
Missa Albanus, O Maria Deo grata, Eterne laudis lilium
Missa O bone Ihesu, Salve regina, Magnificat O bone Ihesu
Missa Regali ex progenie, Lauda vivi Alpha et O

The new erato

I bought the cheap 3 CD set but haven't listened to them more than once so I really don't have an opinion yet.

Que

I've been through this whole set, time for some conclusions. :) See for previous comments by several of us HERE.

A fine set and beautiful music. My first encounter with British Renaissance and Tallis' music is artfully crafted, and the effect is ethereal, introvert, lush and pleasing. As mentioned before, by erato I believe, what it does not have is grit, and I would add: edge and strong "earthy" emotions. Musically I found the later choral works all the more interesting, say the last 2-3 discs of them. Spem in Alium is a true masterpiece. I personally much liked to hear the instrumental works, notably the harpsichord and organ works. All music here is idiomatically performed with dedication and performances leave little to be desired.

So.  :) Do you need a complete Tallis set?  ::) From a musical point of view: No. Though it's all excellent music I suppose a good 2-3 CD collection of the later choral works would do, including the Spem in Alium naturally. But at this price this quality set won't hurt either, even if you would listen to the "extras" not that often.

Q

SonicMan46

Quote from: Que on April 22, 2009, 11:25:22 PM

I've been through this whole set, time for some conclusions. :) See for previous comments by several of us HERE.

A fine set and beautiful music.................

Q - thanks for the comments on the Tallis box - this set received a high recommendation in Fanfare at the end of last year, so has been on my 'potential to buy' list for a while; now w/ the further support of you et al, might just make a purchase, esp. @ the Brilliant price!

Just checked my Thomas Tallis collection; only 3 discs, and one w/ just 43 mins!  Hmm -  ;D

Coopmv

Quote from: SonicMan on April 23, 2009, 06:36:36 AM
Q - thanks for the comments on the Tallis box - this set received a high recommendation in Fanfare at the end of last year, so has been on my 'potential to buy' list for a while; now w/ the further support of you et al, might just make a purchase, esp. @ the Brilliant price!

Just checked my Thomas Tallis collection; only 3 discs, and one w/ just 43 mins!  Hmm -  ;D

I have 16 CD's by Tallis.  I bought over 20 CD's of works between Byrd, Ockeghem, Palestrina and Fayrfax over the past two months to significantly boost my collection of early music.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Coopmv on April 23, 2009, 04:42:36 PM
I have 16 CD's by Tallis.  I bought over 20 CD's of works between Byrd, Ockeghem, Palestrina and Fayrfax over the past two months to significantly boost my collection of early music.

Stuart - just curious - if Brilliant is claiming that 10 CDs represents Tallis' Complete Recordings, then how can you have '16 CDs by Tallis'?  I'm assuming that you have a number of discs w/ a variety of composers represented?  Dave  :D

Coopmv

Quote from: SonicMan on April 23, 2009, 05:20:06 PM
Stuart - just curious - if Brilliant is claiming that 10 CDs represents Tallis' Complete Recordings, then how can you have '16 CDs by Tallis'?  I'm assuming that you have a number of discs w/ a variety of composers represented?  Dave  :D

It is simple, here are all my Tallis' recordings.  15 CD's and a few on LP ...

Spem in alium                       Clerkes of Oxenford
Magnificat and Nunc dimittis          Higginbottom
Messe Puer natus est          Clerkes of Oxenford
Lamentations of Jeremiah          ARS NOVA
Live in Oxford                       The Tallis Scholars/Phillips
Complete Works                       Gesamtwerk - L'Oeuvre Integrale

Coopmv

Can someone who is familiar with either of these recordings provides some insight about the recordings?

Archaic Torso of Apollo

And any opinions on this release?:

formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Coopmv

Quote from: Spitvalve on June 28, 2009, 11:39:17 PM

We are getting silent treatment for our inquiries ...   ???

canninator

Quote from: Coopmv on June 27, 2009, 09:56:45 AM
Can someone who is familiar with either of these recordings provides some insight about the recordings?

Sinners and Saints, long time stalwart of the Devonshire traditional heavy metal scene, deliver the goods on their ninth album "The Ultimate Medieval and Renaissance Music Collection". The recent firing of lead guitarist, ex-Toxic Love shredder Blaze Bradley, has seen the loss of the nu-metal sound that Sinners and Saints lamentably touted on their eighth album "Distorted Love Machine". In its place now are the merry stylings of Auld England that apparently Sinners and Saints were looking for all along. Says lead singer, Trey Violet, "We've always loved history and stuff and so now we've finally been able to combine our twin loves of England's rich musical heritage and kick-ass solos. Plus you've gotta see the tour because we're gonna have a Stonehenge". This reviewer says let's hope this is a sound that's here to stay because it had me whipping my neck and mutating the hexachord all through the night.

Coopmv

Quote from: Il Furioso on June 30, 2009, 06:14:23 AM
Sinners and Saints, long time stalwart of the Devonshire traditional heavy metal scene, deliver the goods on their ninth album "The Ultimate Medieval and Renaissance Music Collection". The recent firing of lead guitarist, ex-Toxic Love shredder Blaze Bradley, has seen the loss of the nu-metal sound that Sinners and Saints lamentably touted on their eighth album "Distorted Love Machine". In its place now are the merry stylings of Auld England that apparently Sinners and Saints were looking for all along. Says lead singer, Trey Violet, "We've always loved history and stuff and so now we've finally been able to combine our twin loves of England's rich musical heritage and kick-ass solos. Plus you've gotta see the tour because we're gonna have a Stonehenge". This reviewer says let's hope this is a sound that's here to stay because it had me whipping my neck and mutating the hexachord all through the night.

???

DavidW

The new erato

Quote from: Il Furioso on June 30, 2009, 06:14:23 AM
Very fine post. Well suitable to the cover images as well.

Que

Quote from: Spitvalve on June 28, 2009, 11:39:17 PM

Haven't heard it (I admit steering away from Britsh Ensembles in the Franco-Flemish Renaissance repertoire), but still - some observations.

Is this a single disc? Because the term "the essential Desprez" is a contradictio in terminis - in my experience just about anything by Desprez is essential in the context of Renaisance music.
Also note this 6CD-set by Sei Voci as an option - great performances, great bargain. Earlier brief comment made  HERE.

Q

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Que on June 30, 2009, 10:44:08 PM
(I admit steering away from Britsh Ensembles in the Franco-Flemish Renaissance repertoire)

Why?

QuoteIs this a single disc? Because the term "the essential Desprez" is a contradictio in terminis - in my experience just about anything by Desprez is essential in the context of Renaisance music.

I think it's just one disc, but all I care about is whether the music is good or not. Buying a whole load of Josquin CDs is not on my horizon just now.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Coopmv

Quote from: Spitvalve on June 30, 2009, 11:44:39 PM
Why?

I think it's just one disc, but all I care about is whether the music is good or not. Buying a whole load of Josquin CDs is not on my horizon just now.

I still prefer Byrd and Ockeghem.  I loaded up on those CD's a few months ago when MDT was running sales and the Pound was weak ...