The Early Music Club (EMC)

Started by zamyrabyrd, October 06, 2007, 10:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Taking the opportunity to bump this thread with a recommendation of this magnificent recording:

This is my 2nd recording of Machaut's famous masterpiece - deservedly a "must-have" for anyone interested in Medieval Music. My 1st acquaintance with this work was through the (controversial) interpretation by the Ensemble Organum under Michel Pérès. Read earlier comments HERE and HERE. This recording is in comparison sung on smaller scale and without the "byzantine" tonal micro-intervals, making the resulting sound more transparent and ethereal in character. I have to emphasize however, that despite the ethereal blend of the sound of these fist class singers the music isn't smoothed out and all dissonant chords and other characteristics that give this music its expressiveness are showcased. Another winner from this super ensemble. Most strongly recommended!  :o :)

An enthusiastic review by David Vernier on ClassicsToday HERE
A slightly less enthusiastic review (of the earlier incarnation of this recording on Harmonic Records) on MusicWeb HERE. The reviewer takes issue with Andreas Scholl's contribution, in this instance, I do not agree. 8)
A five-star review on Goldbergweb HERE.

But whatever you do: DO get a recording of this marvelous music! :)

Q

Coopmv

Quote from: Que on October 26, 2009, 01:55:08 AM
Taking the opportunity to bump this thread with a recommendation of this magnificent recording:

This is my 2nd recording of Machaut's famous masterpiece - deservedly a "must-have" for anyone interested in Medieval Music. My 1st acquaintance with this work was through the (controversial) interpretation by the Ensemble Organum under Michel Pérès. Read earlier comments HERE and HERE. This recording is in comparison sung on smaller scale and without the "byzantine" tonal micro-intervals, making the resulting sound more transparent and ethereal in character. I have to emphasize however, that despite the ethereal blend of the sound of these fist class singers the music isn't smoothed out and all dissonant chords and other characteristics that give this music its expressiveness are showcased. Another winner from this super ensemble. Most strongly recommended!  :o :)

An enthusiastic review by David Vernier on ClassicsToday HERE
A slightly less enthusiastic review (of the earlier incarnation of this recording on Harmonic Records) on MusicWeb HERE. The reviewer takes issue with Andreas Scholl's contribution, in this instance, I do not agree. 8)
A five-star review on Goldbergweb HERE.

But whatever you do: DO get a recording of this marvelous music! :)

Q

Q,  You always come up with these labels that I have never heard of.  In a little over a month, I went from having no Glossa CD's to 2 dozens of (mostly) early music CD's.     ;D

Franco

A fantastic work, I have the Taverner Consort (with Andrew Parrott) and the Wiener Ensemble doing it.

Que

Quote from: Coopmv on October 26, 2009, 05:12:15 PM
Q,  You always come up with these labels that I have never heard of.  In a little over a month, I went from having no Glossa CD's to 2 dozens of (mostly) early music CD's.     ;D

Have a look - lots of Early Music goodies.  :)

click on the picture

Q

Coopmv

Quote from: Que on October 26, 2009, 10:28:14 PM
Have a look - lots of Early Music goodies.  :)

click on the picture

Q

When I get the chance, I will check out the Cantus catalog for sure.  My next targets are some of the EMI box sets, which I have been putting off but MDT is having great sales.  I have never given Amazon the kind of business I have been giving MDT ...    ;D

The new erato

Featuring their famous and now deleted recording of the so-called "Earthquake" mass by Antoine Brumel, this 15 CDs boxset includes some of the most prestigious recordings available on the Sony Classical VIVARTE label and sheds light on this long-forgotten music that too often seems to lie in dark corners of European archives and libraries.

Paul van Nevel, choirmaster, musicologist, and cultural historian founded the Huelgas Ensemble in the early 1970's at the Schola Cantorum Basiliensis. The Ensemble has emerged as one of Europe's main vocal ensembles dedicated to the performance of music from the Middle Ages and the Renaissance. Van Nevel has won a number of prestigious awards for his recordings with the Huelgas Ensemble. Their recording of the music of Renaissance composer Mattheus Pipelare, Pipelare: Missa "L'homme armé" , won the 1998 Cannes Classical Award for Best Choral Music, in addition to the Diapason d'or in 1996. Previous albums, including their critically acclaimed Utopia Triumphans, have accumulated similar accolades. Van Nevel has also been awarded the "Prix In Honorem" from the Académie Charles Cros in Paris.

Tracks:
CD 1 Codex Las Huelgas - Music from 13th Century Spain
CD 2 Febus Avant! ,Music at the Court of Gaston Febus (1331-1391)
CD 3 Music from the Court of King Janus at Nicosia (1374-1432)
CD 4 Utopia Triumphans - Tallis, Striggio and other renaissance choral works
CD 5 Alexander Agricola - A Secret Labyrinth
CD 6 Matthaeus - Missa "L'homme armé", Chansons, Motets
CD 7 Antoine Brumel - Missa "Et ecce terrae motus", Sequentia "Dies irae"
CD 8 Mateo Flecha el Viejo (1481-1553) - Las Ensaladas
CD 9 Costanzo Festa (c.1490-1545) - Magnificat, Mass parts, Motets, Madrigals
CD 10 Nicolas Gombert (c.1500-c.1557) - Music from the Court of Charles V
CD 11 Pierre de Manchicourt (c.1510-1564) - Missa "Veni Sancte Spiritus", Motets, Chansons
CD 12 Orlando di Lasso (1532-1594) - Lagrime di San Pietro
CD 13 Jacobus Gallus (1550-1591) - Opus musicum, Missa super "Sancta Maria"
CD 14 Cancoes, Vilancicos - e Motetes Portugueses , Séculos XVI-XVII
CD 15 Joao Lourenco Rebelo (1610-1661) Lamentations for Maundy Thursday, Vesper Psalms

Coopmv

Is Gimell the top label for early music?  Any thoughts?

The new erato

No. It's one of the top labels for a particular kind of early music (mid-to-late renaissance polyphonic church music from northern Europe) performed according to the British style ideal.

Que

Quote from: Novi on November 17, 2009, 04:08:38 PM

I'm looking for Gesualdo recommendations. I only have his Tenebrae Responsoria (Hilliard Ensemble) and want to hear some of the madrigals. Any suggestions for whichever book? There doesn't seem to be that much out there. ???

I think you'll be satisfied with either of the recordings by La Venexiana (Glossa):

Q

Coopmv

Quote from: Que on November 17, 2009, 10:43:55 PM
I think you'll be satisfied with either of the recordings by La Venexiana (Glossa):

Q

Q was exactly right.  I bought these 2 Glossa CD's about a month ago.  Gimell also has some nice recordings ...

Sean

Just been listening to a mass by him- he's slighly more known for madrigals and his polyphony is a bit predictable.

Sean

Similar odd tonal insight to Fayrfax, though textures less rich or secure, and I'm not at all sure how he does it- I thought the tonal modes weren't in use till late 16th c?

Sean

Also tried some of his polyphony, from Isaac's early 16th period, but without anything like the gravitas.

Sean

Slightly disappointing, or at least not up to Morley or Wilbye's level of sensitivity; vigorous for the period though.

Sean

They're in the same line of exquisite music as by D'India and Luigi Rossi, even if Wert was Flemish to begin with; the Caccini songs (& 'madrigals') are as superb as they're said to be.

Sean

Also tried his large scale Christmas vespers- elaborate instrumental contribution though didn't emerge as entirely convincing; some similarities with Janequin perhaps.

Coopmv

Quote from: Sean on November 19, 2009, 11:45:46 AM
Similar odd tonal insight to Fayrfax, though textures less rich or secure, and I'm not at all sure how he does it- I thought the tonal modes weren't in use till late 16th c?

I bought all 5 volumes of FAYRFAX works by Cardinall`s Musick with Andrew Carwood on ASV Gaudeamus early this year, very inspirational music IMO ...

Sean

Quote from: Coopmv on November 20, 2009, 05:55:12 PM
I bought all 5 volumes of FAYRFAX works by Cardinall`s Musick with Andrew Carwood on ASV Gaudeamus early this year, very inspirational music IMO ...

Absolutely; Fayrfax is one of the most interesting figures in the entire renaissance and 100 years ahead of his time- the Missa Albanus made a huge impression on me (and likely would on anyone). Ludford is his admirable sidekick.

Coopmv

Quote from: Sean on November 21, 2009, 10:36:40 AM
Absolutely; Fayrfax is one of the most interesting figures in the entire renaissance and 100 years ahead of his time- the Missa Albanus made a huge impression on me (and likely would on anyone). Ludford is his admirable sidekick.

I do not have any standalone recordings of Ludford's works.  This will be my next exploration ...

Sean

Quote from: Coopmv on November 21, 2009, 10:42:01 AM
I do not have any standalone recordings of Ludford's works.  This will be my next exploration ...

The same group has done a similar short survey, as you probably know.