The Early Music Club (EMC)

Started by zamyrabyrd, October 06, 2007, 10:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coopmv

Quote from: Sean on November 21, 2009, 10:56:07 AM
The same group has done a similar short survey, as you probably know.

Indeed.  As I already have a pretty comprehensive collection of baroque works, it is only natural to explore the early music since I cannot stand "modern" classical music ...

Que

Taking the opportunity to bump this thread with some comments on Franco-Flemisch early Renaissance composer Johannes Ockeghem's Requiem in the performance by Marcel Pérès and the Ensemble Organum.

Although for this budget issue the notes on composer & work have been retained, there is nothing anymore about the performance...
Those familiar with the ensemble and its conductor might know what to expect: solemn, earthy, expressive and inventive, and above all: quite intense. Unlike Britsh ensembles, the singing is focused on using chest-tones. To present Ockeghem's composition in the proper lithurgical context a Sanctus and Communia by Antonius Divitis are added, together with alternating Plain-chant Some parts (Introit, Kyrie, Graduale) are performed at lower pitch, which might raise eyebrows. But it seems to work well. This is a great disc, and in any case interesting and different - especially for those used to British style performances.

Nice discography of Johannes Ockeghem HERE.  Samples of this recording HERE.

Would welcome any additional Ockeghem recommedations! :)

Q

Coopmv

Quote from: Que on February 13, 2010, 12:17:47 AM

Taking the opportunity to bump this thread with some comments on Franco-Flemisch early Renaissance composer Johannes Ockeghem's Requiem in the performance by Marcel Pérès and the Ensemble Organum.

Although for this budget issue the notes on composer & work have been retained, there is nothing anymore about the performance...
Those familiar with the ensemble and its conductor might know what to expect: solemn, earthy, expressive and inventive, and above all: quite intense. Unlike Britsh ensembles, the singing is focused on using chest-tones. To present Ockeghem's composition in the proper lithurgical context a Sanctus and Communia by Antonius Divitis are added, together with alternating Plain-chant Some parts (Introit, Kyrie, Graduale) are performed at lower pitch, which might raise eyebrows. But it seems to work well. This is a great disc, and in any case interesting and different - especially for those used to British style performances.

Nice discography of Johannes Ockeghem HERE.  Samples of this recording HERE.

Would welcome any additional Ockeghem recommedations! :)

Q

Q,  Here is a nice one I have by the famed Tallis Scholars ...

I also have another 6 volumes by The Clerks' Group/Wickham on the English? label Gaudeamus ...

Que

Quote from: Coopmv on February 13, 2010, 04:58:47 AM
Q,  Here is a nice one I have by the famed Tallis Scholars ...

I also have another 6 volumes by The Clerks' Group/Wickham on the English? label Gaudeamus ...

Thanks! :) But I've decided some time ago that I do not prefer the Franco-Flemish repertoire performed in British style, with its smooth phrasing, ethereal blending of sound and continuously singing on the top of the voices. Don't get me wrong: it is a rich and wonderful tradition that fits Tallis et al like a glove!  :) But for the Franco-Flemish I've taken a fancy for ensembles like the Flemish Huelgas Ensemble, or French ensembles like A Sei Voci, Ensemble Gilles Binchois, the Ensemble Organum and the Ensemble Musica Nova, that I recently discovered in Machaut's motets (Zig-Zag, should post on that soon..)

So on Ockeghem I've been considering this - anyone knows it? :)

More info on the recording HERE.

Q

Coopmv

Quote from: Que on February 14, 2010, 12:29:32 AM
Thanks! :) But I've decided some time ago that I do not prefer the Franco-Flemish repertoire performed in British style, with its smooth phrasing, ethereal blending of sound and continuously singing on the top of the voices. Don't get me wrong: it is a rich and wonderful tradition that fits Tallis et al like a glove!  :) But for the Franco-Flemish I've taken a fancy for ensembles like the Flemish Huelgas Ensemble, or French ensembles like A Sei Voci, Ensemble Gilles Binchois, the Ensemble Organum and the Ensemble Musica Nova, that I recently discovered in Machaut's motets (Zig-Zag, should post on that soon..)

So on Ockeghem I've been considering this - anyone knows it? :)

More info on the recording HERE.

Q

I have seen this CD around but know nothing about the ensemble.  I respect your opinion, which I also share when it comes to Bach choral works performed by English ensembles and have scoured the web for Okeghem's recordings but really have not come up with anything meaningful except the set by The Clerks' Group/Wickham.  Please post your findings if you run across something worth taking a serious look ...

The new erato

Manos

Quote from: Que on February 13, 2010, 12:17:47 AM

The original notes don't contain much information, either. The recording was made at l'Abbaye de Fontevraud in November 1992.  If you like, I can scan the contents page with personnel listings.

This is an enjoyable recording.

sonusantiqva

Navigating this beautiful forum I found a corner devoted to early music, thankfully.

I present an interesting novelty of medieval music. This is an interesting record-book, which also counts with the collaboration of the recent Nobel laureate Mario Vargas Llosa: Tirant lo Blanch-Capella de Ministrers-Carles Magraner

Saludos.

sonusantiqva

While I have your favorite version of the Machaut Messe nostre dame,
I present the last recording appeared on the market:

INFO in OUTHERE

Que

Quote from: Drasko on December 17, 2010, 02:36:33 AM

Hi! :) Delighted to see you here more often again BTW.

Please tell how that recording on Stradivarius does in comparison to A Sei Voci? :)

Q

Drasko

Quote from: Que on December 17, 2010, 02:39:54 AM

Please tell how that recording on Stradivarius does in comparison to A Sei Voci? :)

I like De Labyrintho very much. It's quite different sound from A Sei Voci, much sparser (no instrumental accompaniment, no children), less atmospheric, with sharper delineation of voices, closer to Hilliards in that regard but thankfully more full bloodied (listen how the rhythm change on Cum Sancto Spiritu kicks) and emotional than usual british style (hugely moving Qui tollis, most beautiful I heard). I also like their clarity of pronunciation, if somewhat italianate (like in in excelsis). To keep it short I've uploaded Gloria from the mass from both De Labyrintho and A Sei Voci for comparison.

Josquin - Missa Hercules Dux Ferrariae - Gloria - A Sei Voci 

Josquin - Missa Hercules Dux Ferrariae - Gloria - De Labyrintho

I think it's definitely worth having both.

chasmaniac

This is stunningly good. I've heard a deal of early music that was edified, noble, lovely to sound, but had no idea it could have this much life in it.
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

FideLeo

A much more recent example of inspired Machaut performance.  Marc Mauillon's articulation is fluid.

[asin]B000GLKRSI[/asin]

Ensemble PAN's handful of Machaut recordings, on the other hand, have long been celebrated.

[asin]B000000R3S[/asin]

http://www.youtube.com/v/H3sT8Tla02o
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

val

Until now, I did enjoy very much the recording of the Studio der frühe Musik directed by Thomas Binkley or the songs recorded by Munrow with the Early Music Consort. I will try the version of the Gothic Voices.

chasmaniac

I've placed an order with BRO for a bunch of secular music from roughly this era, including Machaut. Hoping for more treasures. It's curious that so many recordings in this area are thematically programmed, rather than presenting one type of composition by one composer. The completist in me bridles at this, but taste-testing has its appeal.
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Que

Quote from: Drasko on March 22, 2011, 02:23:55 PM

Drasko, how is that one? :)

An unknown ensemble to me - I had to google it. (Info at ORF)

Q

Drasko

Quote from: Que on March 22, 2011, 10:21:59 PM
Drasko, how is that one? :)

An unknown ensemble to me - I had to google it. (Info at ORF)

Q

It's my first encounter with both The Sound and the Fury ensemble and Gombert. The ensemble is simply fantastic, one of the finest early groups I've heard this far (check the clips at orf site). ORF recording is also first rate, would love to hear their Obrecht and de la Rue discs, but they are bit on the expensive side.

Gombert I'm finding difficult to get into. His counterpoint is very thick and the drive is relentless. I'll probably need some time to get to grips with his style.

Drasko

Good idea, cutting this from listening thread. To make it more useful here's sample from above mentioned disc:

Nicolas Gombert - Ave Maria - motet for five voices - The Sound and the Fury (flac)

http://www.mediafire.com/?5bkwl38xd1hl7fk

p.s. Que, we had similar short exchange quite a while ago on De Labyrintho and A Sei Voci Josquin discs. Could you cut & paste that too? I posted some samples there, shame to go to waste buried in listening thread.

The new erato

Quote from: Drasko on March 24, 2011, 05:07:00 AM
Good idea, cutting this from listening thread.
Yes, and I think the cover is very beatiful and most appropriate. Makes me wonder about what kind of reflexes makes people think this cover is disgusting. Impure in thought etc....(maybe)

chasmaniac

Vitry, Machaut, Landini and those subtilior cats... who else counts, on stylistic grounds, as an ars nova composer? Will someone name names for me? Thanks.