The Early Music Club (EMC)

Started by zamyrabyrd, October 06, 2007, 10:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Quote from: chasmaniac on May 12, 2012, 02:40:47 AM
Prophetiae Sibyllarum: I have the Cantus Colln. It is very precise and quick (I'm given to understand), and the recording relatively dry. Other folks seem to find them cold, but I think this a typically fine effort from a wonderful group.The music itself is quite notey, more thrilling than atmospheric. Good stuff.

Instinctively I also eyed the Cantus Cölln recording. Then I read on Amzon that Bruno Giordano, whose opinion I value, changed his allegiances from that recording to the newer one by the ensemble Daedalus under Roberto Festa (Alpha). So I'm seriously considering that one - the fact that the Cantus Cölln is OOP also weighs in to it. :)

Q

chasmaniac

Quote from: Que on May 12, 2012, 03:31:56 AM
Instinctively I also eyed the Cantus Cölln recording. Then I read on Amzon that Bruno Giordano, whose opinion I value, changed his allegiances from that recording to the newer one by the ensemble Daedalus under Roberto Festa (Alpha). So I'm seriously considering that one - the fact that the Cantus Cölln is OOP also weighs in to it. :)

Q

It is included in the super bargain box - someting to consider.

[asin]B0054MEISO[/asin]
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

The new erato

Quote from: chasmaniac on May 12, 2012, 03:40:44 AM

[asin]B0054MEISO[/asin]
Good thing I didn't order it then, as I have this box, and didn't know. Strange how Lassus isn't mentioned on the front, despite having a complete disc to himself!

Que

Quote from: chasmaniac on May 12, 2012, 03:40:44 AM

Absolutely, thanks! :)

Q

chasmaniac

Quote from: Que on May 12, 2012, 04:08:03 AM
Absolutely, thanks! :)
Q

Quote from: The new erato on May 12, 2012, 03:58:41 AM
Good thing I didn't order it then, as I have this box, and didn't know. Strange how Lassus isn't mentioned on the front, despite having a complete disc to himself!

Happy to be of service!
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Drasko

Brand new from Hilliards, Gesualdo 5th book of Madrigals. I managed to get my grubby paws on few tracks from that and thought why not put up not-so-blind comparison for the hordes of madrigal lovers of this forum (all three of you). So here are the same two madrigals (in flac) by Hilliards, La Venexiana and Concerto Italiano. Feel free to share your thoughts with the rest of us, or not.

Gioite voi col canto
The Hilliard Ensemble
La Venexiana
Concerto Italiano

S'io non miro non moro
The Hilliard Ensemble
La Venexiana
Concerto Italiano

Enjoy.

chasmaniac

Over in the Haus, Gurn has asked after custom sets that people have devised for themselves. Here's perhaps my all-time favourite, of late medieval material.

1. Salve flos Tusce gentis
(Guillaume Dufay, Ensemble Musica Nova)
2. Inclita stella maris
(Guillaume Dufay, Ensemble Musica Nova)
3. Quel fronte signorille in paradiso
(Guillaume Dufay, Gothic Voices)
4. Le ray au soleyl
(Johannes Ciconia, Ensemble P.A.N.)
5. Se congié prens
(Josquin Desprez, Ensemble Gilles Binchois)
6. Cueurs desolez
(Josquin Desprez, Ensemble Gilles Binchois)
7. Tres morillas m'enamoran en Jaén
(anonymous, Ensemble Accentus)
8. Ther is no rose of swych virtu
(anonymous, Gothic Voices)
9. Gloria
(Pycard, Gothic Voices)
10. The Agincourt Carol
(anonymous, Gothic Voices)
11. Dame, a vous sans retollir
(Guillaume de Machaut, Ensemble P.A.N.)
12. Nove cantum melodie
(Gilles Binchois, The Binchois Consort)
13. De Fortune me doi plaindre
(Guillaume de Machaut, Ensemble Musica Nova)
14. Son cuer men vois
(Guillaume de Machaut, Ensemble Musica Nova)
15. Helas! je voy mon cuer
(Solage, Gothic Voices)

The new erato

How I would love to get references to what albums these tracks were originally on!

chasmaniac

Quote from: The new erato on May 12, 2012, 04:59:00 AM
How I would love to get references to what albums these tracks were originally on!

I'll get back to you on that. No time just now.

The new erato

Quote from: chasmaniac on May 12, 2012, 05:03:24 AM
I'll get back to you on that. No time just now.
Nice and helpful if you could do it, but don't feel obliged!

Coopmv

Quote from: Que on May 10, 2012, 09:45:48 PM

I'm just getting into it, but it's absolutely gorgeous! :) Lassus is IMO definitely one of the big ones in Early music.

I'm very happy with this recording - the combination Lassus & Herreweghe has worked for me splendedly so far! Do you have the same? :)

Q

I only have 6 individual recordings dedicated entirely to his works and expect to add a few new titles to my collection this year.  He is just one of the many early music composers in my ever growing early music collection ... 

chasmaniac

Quote from: The new erato on May 12, 2012, 04:59:00 AM

1-2. Flos Florum: Motets, Hymnes, Antiennes, Ensemble Musica Nova, Zig Zag 50301
3. A Song for Francesca: Music in Italy, 1330-1430, Gothic Voices, Hyperion 21286
4. Homage to Johannes Ciconia, Ensemble P.A.N., New Albion 48
5-6. Chansons de la Renaissance (2), Ensemble Gilles Binchois, Virgin Veritas 07623
7. Cancionero Musical de Palacio: Music at the Spanish Court, 1505-1520, Ensemble Accentus, Naxos 8553536
8-10. The Service of Venus and Mars: Music for the Knights of the Garter, Gothic Voices, Hyperion 21238
11. Remède de Fortune, Ensemble P.A.N., New Albion 068
12. Mass for St. Anthony Abbot et al., The Binchois Consort, Helios 67474
13-14. Ballades, Ensemble Musica Nova, Aeon 0982
15. The Unknown Lover: Songs by Solage and Machaut, Gothic Voices, Avie 2089

Que

jlaurson

Finally got to tell Paul McNulty in person, how much I adore his instruments.
K.Bezuidenhout then proceeded to play the heck out of one of them.

Notes from the 2012 Dresden Music Festival ( 1 )

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2012/05/notes-from-2012-dresden-music-festival.html

The new erato

Quote from: chasmaniac on May 12, 2012, 10:04:32 AM
1-2. Flos Florum: Motets, Hymnes, Antiennes, Ensemble Musica Nova, Zig Zag 50301
3. A Song for Francesca: Music in Italy, 1330-1430, Gothic Voices, Hyperion 21286
4. Homage to Johannes Ciconia, Ensemble P.A.N., New Albion 48
5-6. Chansons de la Renaissance (2), Ensemble Gilles Binchois, Virgin Veritas 07623
7. Cancionero Musical de Palacio: Music at the Spanish Court, 1505-1520, Ensemble Accentus, Naxos 8553536
8-10. The Service of Venus and Mars: Music for the Knights of the Garter, Gothic Voices, Hyperion 21238
11. Remède de Fortune, Ensemble P.A.N., New Albion 068
12. Mass for St. Anthony Abbot et al., The Binchois Consort, Helios 67474
13-14. Ballades, Ensemble Musica Nova, Aeon 0982
15. The Unknown Lover: Songs by Solage and Machaut, Gothic Voices, Avie 2089
Yes great; Thank you!

kishnevi

US release date May 29

19 CDs--in essence, it's the complete (I think) box of the Capella Augustana recordings

ATM, Arkivmusic is offering a somewhat lower price than Amazon.

Coopmv

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on May 25, 2012, 04:09:01 PM
US release date May 29

19 CDs--in essence, it's the complete (I think) box of the Capella Augustana recordings

ATM, Arkivmusic is offering a somewhat lower price than Amazon.

Amazon rarely has the best price for anything unless it offers some teaser price for some new release when 9 out of 10 buyers will get an order cancellation after weeks of waiting ...    ::)

Drasko

Promising new release:

Hyperion website offers Kyrie as free download, nice touch for sampling purposes.
http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDA67959&vw=dc

Also, few The Clerk's Group Ockeghem disc are coming back in print. Any opinions on these?

Missa Caput et al                         Missa Cuiusvis Toni, Missa Quinti Toni, Celeste Beneficium

DaveF

Quote from: Drasko on July 15, 2012, 02:21:27 AM

Also, few The Clerk's Group Ockeghem disc are coming back in print. Any opinions on these?

Missa Caput et al                         Missa Cuiusvis Toni, Missa Quinti Toni, Celeste Beneficium

That's good news - thanks for the alert.  And at mid-price, too.  The three I have (the three currently still in the catalogue) are wonderful, especially the Requiem and Missa Au travail suis.  I hope this means that the other missing ones are also scheduled for re-release.

DF
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Coopmv

Quote from: Drasko on July 15, 2012, 02:21:27 AM
Promising new release:

Hyperion website offers Kyrie as free download, nice touch for sampling purposes.
http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDA67959&vw=dc

They are all excellent.  IIRC, I only have one "volume" I do not have ...