The Early Music Club (EMC)

Started by zamyrabyrd, October 06, 2007, 10:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coopmv

BTW, did the label Gaudeamus go out of business?  It and Gimell are the top labels in early music ...

Coopmv

Looking forward to the following CD, just ordered yesterday.  This will be my second CD on works by Weelkes ...

petrarch

On the topic of Ockeghem, there is also this coming soon, from the great Diabolus in Musica/Antoine Guerber, on occasion of their 20-year celebration. I have all of their releases from 2002 onwards, and each one of them is special; can't wait to get this one.

[asin]B0086WQO9A[/asin]

Here's a 7-min video about the occasion:

http://vimeo.com/38214031
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Coopmv

Quote from: petrarch on August 27, 2012, 02:19:19 PM
On the topic of Ockeghem, there is also this coming soon, from the great Diabolus in Musica/Antoine Guerber, on occasion of their 20-year celebration. I have all of their releases from 2002 onwards, and each one of them is special; can't wait to get this one.

[asin]B0086WQO9A[/asin]

Here's a 7-min video about the occasion:

http://vimeo.com/38214031

Have to check this one out ...

petrarch

Just got half a dozen CDs on Arcana by La Reverdie. Enjoying every single one of them thoroughly!
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

prémont

Quote from: petrarch on October 01, 2012, 01:54:43 PM
Just got half a dozen CDs on Arcana by La Reverdie. Enjoying every single one of them thoroughly!

Just get the rest of their recordings, outstanding stuff.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

StLukesguildOhio

I fleshed out my Heinrich Schütz collection recently:

Modern art is what happens when painters stop looking at girls and persuade themselves that they have a better idea.
-John Ciardi

Nothing is more useful to man than those arts which have no utility.
-Ovid

Que

Started the day with:

[asin]B0037SQ2LI[/asin]

Quote from: Octave on December 30, 2012, 01:11:47 AM
I am interested in that Vaet series, Que.  My only points of reference for him are a couple recordings by Cinquencento, on Hyperion:

only part of the first of which is Vaet's music.

I was hypnotized by MISSA EGO FLOS CAMPI in particular, but I haven't moved any further.

I think exploring Jacobus Vaet further would be very worthwhile. Found him a real find - an original style with sobriety and complex density at the same time. Despite the fact that he often used material of other composers as a base - more a sign of unselfish admiration - very much his own man. I find him more engaging than Gombert, for instance. And he has some of the sweetness of Lassus but remains closer to the roots of the Franco-Flemish School IMO.

I don't own the Cinquecento disc, but they sound upon sampling extremely accomplished, mandatory.
None of the discs by the Dufay Ensemble duplicates the Missa Ego Flos Campi, so that is fortunate. I've found their performances very satisfactory, maybe a bit less polish/brilliance than Cinquecento but nicely balanced performances of great integrity.

Anyway, I'm sure the online samples that plenty availble will tell you more than I can! :)

Q

Bogey

How about this from Agricola?   Anyone here have it?

Not many cds that feature ONLY him, but right now I am playing this and am absolutely mesmerized:

I also have this one from the Secret Labyrinth box set from Sony, but that is about it.

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Pulling this one out of the box set for a first listen.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Que

Quote from: Que on December 30, 2012, 11:57:12 PM

[asin]B0037SQ2L8[/asin][asin]B0037SQ2LI[/asin][asin]B003P6H338[/asin]

I think exploring Jacobus Vaet further would be very worthwhile. Found him a real find - an original style with sobriety and complex density at the same time. Despite the fact that he often used material of other composers as a base - more a sign of unselfish admiration - very much his own man. I find him more engaging than Gombert, for instance. And he has some of the sweetness of Lassus but remains closer to the roots of the Franco-Flemish School IMO.

I don't own the Cinquecento disc, but they sound upon sampling extremely accomplished, mandatory.
None of the discs by the Dufay Ensemble duplicates the Missa Ego Flos Campi, so that is fortunate. I've found their performances very satisfactory, maybe a bit less polish/brilliance than Cinquecento but nicely balanced performances of great integrity.

Anyway, I'm sure the online samples that plenty availble will tell you more than I can! :)

Q

I found some on line review of these Vaet discs at Classicalnet: Volume 1    Volume 2    Volume 3

Some excerpts:

QuoteThe singing is of very high quality: unassuming, gentle, fluid and circumspect, without being either cautious or introspective as such. It's a style of singing that breathes respect and admiration for the gentle and delicate lines of melody which Vaet spins.

On the other hand, this is not whispered or in any way "under-performed" music. The Ensemble's articulation is clear and expressive. Each syllable is audible and comprehensible, wherever the polyphonic line so intends.

In the Dufay Ensemble's conception this emphasis on sonic impact is not a priority. Rather, the delicacy and pointedness of the texts. Every word is clear in the half dozen pieces which they perform here – even though the Te Deum and Magnificat are typically large scale, demonstrative, works. As you finish listening to this CD with its resonant acoustic, you will be left with a great sense of satisfaction. The Dufay Ensemble has emphasized expressivity and resolution over effect; and done Vaet a great service as a result.

[...] it's harder than ever to understand why Vaet should have been eclipsed when Lassus and Palestrina shone.

There's no comparable selection available. If there were, it would be hard to imagine its making the simple yet memorable impact that does the justifiably acclaimed Dufay Ensemble.

Q

Que

Quote from: Bogey on January 05, 2013, 07:29:43 AM

Pulling this one out of the box set for a first listen.

Bill, that is one of the best disc in the set - your admiration for Agricola is entirely justified! :) I was very impressed myself.

Q

KeithW

Quote from: Bogey on January 04, 2013, 02:39:49 PM

Not many cds that feature ONLY him, but right now I am playing this and am absolutely mesmerized:

That is a fantastic disc - one of my best buys last year.

Coopmv

Quote from: Que on December 30, 2012, 11:57:12 PM
Started the day with:

[asin]B0037SQ2LI[/asin]

Q

Dufay Ensemble is a new name to me ...

bumtz

Quote from: KeithW on January 06, 2013, 11:03:22 AM
That is a fantastic disc - one of my best buys last year.

I like the Ferrara Ensemble CD on Deutsche Grammophon even more. It should be available for small amount of € at European amazons.

[asin]B002HQWQOS[/asin]

bumtz

Huelgas Ensemble recording of Richafort's Requiem reissued on Harmonia Mundi and available cheap at UK amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A2CL6SQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i04   

Que

Quote from: bumtz on February 02, 2013, 04:34:03 AM
Huelgas Ensemble recording of Richafort's Requiem reissued on Harmonia Mundi and available cheap at UK amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A2CL6SQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i04

I noticed! It now has to compete with Cinquecento's new recording:

[asin]B00A2CL6SQ[/asin][asin]B008B3P4FO[/asin]

Anyway, the music itself is selfrecommending! :)

Q

Octave

I am interested in getting another recording of Lassus' LAGRIME DI SAN PIETRO (the only one I have is the one included in the Huelgas/Nevel SECRET LABYRINTH box, a gift that keeps giving).  Any recommendations for recordings would be appreciated, though I think I am most interested in the Herreweghe and unfortunately it seems to be OOP.  I see two HM editions, 1994 and 2001:

[asin]B00000079B[/asin]
[asin]B00005NCMK[/asin]

Was this recording also issued in some other edition that might not be showing in my searches?  I am not even sure it's the best recording to search for, but samples sounded great.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Que

Quote from: Octave on February 05, 2013, 05:44:07 AM
I am interested in getting another recording of Lassus' LAGRIME DI SAN PIETRO (the only one I have is the one included in the Huelgas/Nevel SECRET LABYRINTH box, a gift that keeps giving).  Any recommendations for recordings would be appreciated, though I think I am most interested in the Herreweghe and unfortunately it seems to be OOP.  I see two HM editions, 1994 and 2001:

I have the Herreweghe (as well as the Van Nevel) and it is superb! :) I'm sorry to say, considering the availability...

Anyway, that Diapason d'Or was well deserved

What might help is this other ASIN, with more affordable copies available:

[asin]B000025YT9[/asin]

Also, I noticed that HM has started a reissue of Early Music, though who knows when this recording might be up?

Q

Octave

I never thanked Que for his Lassus assistance above; cheers for that, Que!

I am interested in purchasing some stuff from the Cantus label.  Apparently they were out of production for a while but are back in business, though I have had a hard time finding a few titles at Amazon, so it might be necessary for me to buy directly from them.  If this ends up being the case, I might as well minimize my number of order with them.  Does anyone know of some essential or truly excellent Cantus titles that they highly recommended?  I am interested in the Handel DUETTI ITALIANI (La Venexiana et al) and the Machaut box set by Vellard et al (which can be had cheaper from Brilliant Classics, but apparently the Cantus package is much nicer and seems to include a ~290-page book (maybe all of this is included on the CDR of the Brilliant package anyway?).
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.