The Early Music Club (EMC)

Started by zamyrabyrd, October 06, 2007, 10:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Quote from: Octave on February 21, 2013, 03:50:32 AM
I never thanked Que for his Lassus assistance above; cheers for that, Que!

I am interested in purchasing some stuff from the Cantus label.  Apparently they were out of production for a while but are back in business, though I have had a hard time finding a few titles at Amazon, so it might be necessary for me to buy directly from them.  If this ends up being the case, I might as well minimize my number of order with them.  Does anyone know of some essential or truly excellent Cantus titles that they highly recommended?  I am interested in the Handel DUETTI ITALIANI (La Venexiana et al) and the Machaut box set by Vellard et al (which can be had cheaper from Brilliant Classics, but apparently the Cantus package is much nicer and seems to include a ~290-page book (maybe all of this is included on the CDR of the Brilliant package anyway?).

Don't have the Händel, but it looks enticing. Concerning the Mauchat/Velard items - I did get the Cantus box set and it is just a cardboard slipcase around all three individual issues, each with eleborate booklet. Very nice indeed and the recordings are strongly recommended. The Brilliant issue has a CDR with documentation, but that's all I know about it.

If you would decide to go down the original issues road, I would urge you not to make the same mistake as I did - well, I was half way - and consider this haul:

As you can see (click to enlarge) it contains all the three Machaut items + a 2CD with music from the Notre Dame School (Perotin et all), which I later found to be indispensable + a disc with Gregorian chants, which is not so much my thing, but I found this disc superb - if you ever get just one, this might be it + a disc with various repertoire called "Les Escoliers de Paris".

This can all be had for €40 + p&p straight from Cantus which seems like very attractive price to me, considering that most is not to be found anywhere else anyway... The box with just the Machaut items is €20.

Over to you...

Happy hunting! :D

Q

Mandryka

I wonder if anyone out there can help me. I'm listening a bit now to Machaut's Lay  de la fonteinne, but the only text I have is in 14th century french, which i can't read. Can anyone locate a text inmodern French or English for me?  My initial attempts with google have come up with nothing.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on February 24, 2013, 04:56:27 AM
I wonder if anyone out there can help me. I'm listening a bit now to Machaut's Lay  de la fonteinne, but the only text I have is in 14th century french, which i can't read. Can anyone locate a text inmodern French or Enblish for me?  My initial attempts with google have come up with nothing.

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/al.asp?al=CDA66358

Q

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on February 24, 2013, 05:12:21 AM

Q

Wonderful! Thanks.

I need to remember that Hyperion site -- it helped me out before with Couperin's Lecons.

Coopmv

Quote from: sanantonio on February 05, 2013, 06:57:23 AM
A Spotify member, Jesse Brinkerhof, has created a playlist of music from Medieval and Renaissance periods.  The list has nearly 9,000 tracks.  I am listening right now to:

Requiems by Lassos and Ockeghem performed by the Laudantes Consort, led by Guy Janssens, from the excellent series History of Requiem

[asin]B000OCZ7NE[/asin]

This is Vol. 1, there are four altogether.

Q,  Can you help sort things out?  Does the above CD include some excerpts from the one I have as shown below?

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on February 24, 2013, 05:12:21 AM

Q

Ahhhhh . . . It's about the trinity!!! I had no idea it was religious. I thought it was entirely secular.

Now I know why you have three voices singing sometimes on my record -- the one by Studio der frühen Musik.

Que

Quote from: Que on February 02, 2013, 03:39:32 PM
I noticed! It now has to compete with Cinquecento's new recording:

[asin]B00A2CL6SQ[/asin][asin]B008B3P4FO[/asin]

Anyway, the music itself is selfrecommending! :)

Q

I guess when it rains, it pours!  :o

[asin]B00BEF13HY[/asin]

And this recent interesting Ockeghem recording by Musica Nova completely flew under my radar - anyone heard it yet?  :)

[asin]B0093N4DXU[/asin]

Q

Mandryka

I have access to three recordings of Lassus's Penetential Psalms: Herreweghe, Henry's 8 and The Hillards. Of these I tend to play the Hilliards the least, really because I really love unacompanied singing.

My question is this, what are the issues, vis à vis authenticity surrounding these recordings? They all feel quite different from each other. Oh, if anyone has a strong bond or the opposite w.r.t one of them, that would be fun to hear about too.

HIPster

Really enjoying this (new to me) recording:

[asin]B000025ZXO[/asin]

I am now up to 10 CD's which would be considered Early Music in my collection and this one is in heavy rotation. . .

This is one of my favorite threads on GMG.  Thank you to all who have posted recommendations and thoughts here.
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

HIPster

Now listening to this very fine CD!

[asin]B002C0SM7O[/asin]

Is this group still active?  I have 3 of their discs and they are fantastic.
Wise words from Que:

petrarch

Quote from: HIPster on April 20, 2013, 12:19:12 PM
Is this group still active?  I have 3 of their discs and they are fantastic.

Indeed, they are generally exceedingly good.

They are still active. Can't wait to get their latest:

[asin]B00B9GZHSE[/asin]
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

HIPster

Quote from: petrarch on April 20, 2013, 12:49:13 PM
Indeed, they are generally exceedingly good.

They are still active. Can't wait to get their latest:

[asin]B00B9GZHSE[/asin]

Excellent!  Thank you, Petrarch!

Thanks are also in order to you for your mention of this group earlier in the thread. . .

I'm also interested in their Dark-Light disc and have it wishlisted on amazon.

Cheers!
Wise words from Que:

petrarch

Quote from: HIPster on April 20, 2013, 01:01:52 PM
I'm also interested in their Dark-Light disc and have it wishlisted on amazon.

If I had to choose 3 of their releases, that one would be on that list, along with Sponsa Regis and Historia Sancta Eadmundi.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Octave

Re: La Reverdie:
Quote from: petrarch on April 20, 2013, 01:45:42 PM
If I had to choose 3 of their releases, that one [NOX-LUX] would be on that list, along with Sponsa Regis and Historia Sancta Eadmundi.

Damn, it looks like I missed SPONSA REGIS.   >:(  [EDIT: ah, maybe not...]  I really dug their Dufay ITALIE disc; I can't believe I haven't checked any other items from their discography.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

chasmaniac

Not much action here in the last year. Anything new in the ars nova/subtilior area? That's the sweetest spot for me.
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Que

I has been a bit quiet here at the Early Music Club... :)

[asin]B000852G1I[/asin]

In my search for discs by Van Nevel and his Huelgas Ensemble I stumbled upon this disc by  Alfonso Ferrabosco the Elder (Il Padre). An Italian composer who spent most of his productive life in England. Now, there is a lot "cloak & dagger" stuff surrounding his life... 8) See the the link to Wiki.

Musically Ferrabosco was important in bringing to Britain the Italian Madrigal tradition, that was then still in its early stages with roots in the tradition that the Franco-Flemish composers brought to Italy. He seems to have been a major influence on William Byrd. What I hear is what I described: highly accomplished polyphonic music in the early Italian Madrigal tradition, similar to the music on the disc by Cipriano de Rore that I bought before, also by Van Nevel. I previously discussed that disc HERE. If you're into that kind of repertoire, this Ferrabosco disc is heartily recommended! :)

Review at Musicweb and Review at Classicstoday

The disc above led me to order this viol music disc from jpc:

(Picture linked to samples, Amazon US.

This disc contains actually music by father and son, the latter being a viol player at the English court.

Review at Musicweb

Highly technical accomplished viol consort music that sounds very much in the English tradition, both by father and son. Tranquil and introspective in mood with lots of elaborate counterpoint, though not innovation or ground breaking likes Lawes or Jenkins. I like the performance by the Rose Consort of Viols - very idiomatic, more mellow in approach than their colleagues from Fretwork and Phantasm. A nice disc that would get a deserved place in any viol music collection IMO. :)

BTW: Jordi Savall did a disc with viol music just by Alfonso Ferrabosco The Younger.

Q

EDIT: fixed the linked to the Musicweb review of the 1st disc! :)

Octave

Thanks very much for the Ferrabosco input, Que.  Those will be at the top of my to-buy queue.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Que

Quote from: Octave on June 23, 2013, 07:09:39 PM
Thanks very much for the Ferrabosco input, Que.  Those will be at the top of my to-buy queue.

Just I forget: the 1st disc by the Huelgas Ensemble would be my 1st priority, the 2nd, viol music disc, is in the "nice to have" category. :)

Q

Mandryka

Anyone read this? Care to comment on how accessible it is to someone with little formal training in musical analysis?

chasmaniac

It's been mentioned before, but the requiem on this disc is stunning.

[asin]B00A2CL6SQ[/asin]
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217