The Early Music Club (EMC)

Started by zamyrabyrd, October 06, 2007, 10:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mookalafalas

;D ;D
  thank you gentlemen! My shop has a lot of those HM boxes, at very reasonable prices, but I still have about 150 discs to listen to from other recent early music boxes (including some Schutz, actually).  Somebody here at GMG forced me into a "cease and desist new purchases" pact.  The sadistic s o b....
It's all good...

kishnevi

Quote from: Baklavaboy on February 23, 2014, 07:44:47 PM
;D ;D
  thank you gentlemen! My shop has a lot of those HM boxes, at very reasonable prices, but I still have about 150 discs to listen to from other recent early music boxes (including some Schutz, actually).  Somebody here at GMG forced me into a "cease and desist new purchases" pact.  The sadistic s o b....

It's only for two weeks.   You can use the time to plan out a really really big order.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on February 23, 2014, 07:49:46 PM
It's only for two weeks.   You can use the time to plan out a really really big order.

:laugh:

Actually, the postman brought me the EMI Eminence and Erato boxes this morning...and Amazon UK just sent a notice that the new Colin Davis box has shipped, and last night I started burning some of the 7K discs I have on my Hard drive to CD, so I am probably OK for new purchases...except for HM early music boxes ::)
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on February 23, 2014, 08:07:04 PM
so I am probably OK for new purchases...except for HM early music boxes ::)

Oh but those are the best ones!

>:D >:D :laugh: :laugh: :P >:D

HIPster

Quote from: Baklavaboy on February 23, 2014, 07:10:06 PM
You're everywhere, Ken :)
Josquin I've played and liked, but Schutz is just a name...

This 2 CD set has been in very heavy rotation since I purchased it in late 2013:
[asin]B00067R3ZW[/asin]

There are also earlier editions available, so poke around for the best price. . .

Dig these pretty great reviews, including one by Amazon early music maven 'Giordano Bruno'~

[asin]B000004433[/asin]
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Mookalafalas

Quote from: HIPster on February 24, 2014, 07:17:08 AM
This 2 CD set has been in very heavy rotation since I purchased it in late 2013
There are also earlier editions available, so poke around for the best price. . .

Dig these pretty great reviews, including one by Amazon early music maven 'Giordano Bruno'~

thanks for the heads up! I am on a spending freeze until the middle of next month, but will have an eye out for these.  I might poke around on the net and see if I can have a digital copy delivered to my door ;)
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: HIPster on February 24, 2014, 07:17:08 AM
This 2 CD set has been in very heavy rotation since I purchased it in late 2013:
[asin]B00067R3ZW[/asin]

[asin]B000004433[/asin]
I second the praise for the set.
Lots of good stuff in the boxes too. The brilliant box is a little uneven, but it's bigger!

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on February 24, 2014, 06:49:58 PM
I second the praise for the set.
Lots of good stuff in the boxes too. The brilliant box is a little uneven, but it's bigger!

Some guy over at Amazon named Ken Braithwaite only gave the Brilliant 3 stars, but gave the HM 5.  Something about the guys name makes me suspect he might be a little shady >:D, so not sure whether to believe him or not.
   I knew I had some Schutze somewhere and finally found I have two discs of the Psalms in the Vivarte box.  So far I have been crazy about everything I've played from that box, so have high hopes.  Playing Charpentier right now...
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on February 24, 2014, 07:06:30 PM
  Some guy over at Amazon named Ken Braithwaite only gave the Brilliant 3 stars, but gave the HM 5.  Something about the guys name makes me suspect he might be a little shady >:D, so not sure whether to believe him or not.
   I knew I had some Schutze somewhere and finally found I have two discs of the Psalms in the Vivarte box.  So far I have been crazy about everything I've played from that box, so have high hopes.  Playing Charpentier right now...
I don't know, I find his reviews pretty good. But he always reviews stuff I already have.

:-\

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on February 24, 2014, 07:23:24 PM
I don't know, I find his reviews pretty good. But he always reviews stuff I already have.

:-\
:laugh: :laugh:

I've heard a lot of enthusiasm directed towards Herreweghe.  Is he pretty well thought of over here?
  I actually have a fair amount of older stuff from Deller.  What I've heard sounds good to me, but I have no real standard of reference.  Is he generally considered solid, or dated?
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on February 24, 2014, 10:11:24 PM

I've heard a lot of enthusiasm directed towards Herreweghe.  Is he pretty well thought of over here?
  I actually have a fair amount of older stuff from Deller.  What I've heard sounds good to me, but I have no real standard of reference.  Is he generally considered solid, or dated?
Herreweghe is indeed highly thought of, at least by me and that Braithwaite fellow.
(Alfred) Deller is somewhat dated, and there are now a lot of counter tenors with much better voices. But he was a superb musician, which still comes through, and a great pioneer. In the HM 50 box is a splendid King Arthur by the Deller Consort. I also love hsi folk song recording there but some will find it a tough slog.

HIPster

Quote from: Baklavaboy on February 24, 2014, 10:11:24 PM

Yes, he is highly regarded from my perspective.

This recording is absolutely wonderful:
[asin]B001BLP64C[/asin]

This one too:
[asin]B000025YT9[/asin]
Wise words from Que:

Mookalafalas

Thanks again for the useful comments and suggestions.  I just had a chance to hear a Herreweghe Bruckner 5th, and it really whets my appetite for his work in early music--he (and the orchestra) have a really lovely touch with great texture and detail.
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Baklavaboy on February 23, 2014, 08:07:04 PM
:laugh:

Actually, the postman brought me the EMI Eminence and Erato boxes this morning...and Amazon UK just sent a notice that the new Colin Davis box has shipped, and last night I started burning some of the 7K discs I have on my Hard drive to CD, so I am probably OK for new purchases...except for HM early music boxes ::)

This sounds like a very familiar scenario.... Last time I went to the post office the staff members looked at me inquisitively and said "Oh, you are the one that is getting all those boxes!! Huh! Are you running a business? *sigh*" .  It made me crack up!     :laugh:
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on March 01, 2014, 02:12:39 PM
This sounds like a very familiar scenario.... Last time I went to the post office the staff members looked at me inquisitively and said "Oh, you are the one that is getting all those boxes!! Huh! Are you running a business? *sigh*" .  It made me crack up!     :laugh:

It's a glorious time to be a classical music fan!

BTW, I just got to this baby in my Archiv box:
[asin]B000935TV8[/asin]

Wow. I haven't heard anything like this before.  It doesn't sound like early music or baroque, exactly.  It reminds me of Shakespeare's English, constantly fresh and surprising, but not breaking any rules because it comes before the rules have hardened into place...
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on March 01, 2014, 04:49:46 PM
   It's a glorious time to be a classical music fan!

[asin]B000935TV8[/asin]

Wow. I haven't heard anything like this before.  It doesn't sound like early music or baroque, exactly.  It reminds me of Shakespeare's English, constantly fresh and surprising, but not breaking any rules because it comes before the rules have hardened into place...

Pssssst, fellow EMers, we have a live one.

I think you'll like the Lumieres box. You delve much into the DHM 50 ?
You will eventually want the Music in Versailles box ...

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on March 01, 2014, 05:30:52 PM
I think you'll like the Lumieres box. You delve much into the DHM 50 ?
You will eventually want the Music in Versailles box ...

I got the Lumiere's box last week and like it a lot. Have the DHM 50, 30, Centuries, and sacred.  Working on all and sundry, but only so many hours per day.
  Never heard of the Versailles box.  Will research ASAP :)
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on March 01, 2014, 05:45:16 PM
  I got the Lumiere's box last week and like it a lot. Have the DHM 50, 30, Centuries, and sacred.  Working on all and sundry, but only so many hours per day.
  Never heard of the Versailles box.  Will research ASAP :)

Down boy

[asin]B001HBX90O[/asin]

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on March 01, 2014, 05:59:51 PM
Down boy

[asin]B001HBX90O[/asin]

No troubles. I have a Russian friend helping me acquire a loaner copy even as we speak.
It's all good...

HIPster

Quote from: Baklavaboy on March 01, 2014, 04:49:46 PM

[asin]B000935TV8[/asin]

Nice!  I am a big fan of this one too.  8)

Many forum members seem to be fans as well (but not all ;D). . .

Thread duty:
[asin]B000001OA0[/asin]
Wise words from Que: