The Early Music Club (EMC)

Started by zamyrabyrd, October 06, 2007, 10:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mookalafalas

Quote from: HIPster on March 01, 2014, 06:50:56 PM
Nice!  I am a big fan of this one too.  8)

Many forum members seem to be fans as well (but not all ;D). . .

Thanks again! I don't need a crystal ball to see that one is not going to be to everyone's liking!

And on that note, I can share this ::)
As I type (3/2/2014) this is the number 2 viral video on Youtube. Two guys playing Cellos...
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/ViralVideoChart/~3/JxOKBNR1ZMY/youtube
It's all good...

San Antone

Cristobal de Morales - Officum Defunctorum & Missa Pro Defunctis

https://www.youtube.com/v/v2PZFB-27hM

Jordi Savall, et al.

Que

Thanks for that antidote!  :)

[asin]B000KEGIHK[/asin]

Alonso Lobo was actually close colleague of Victoria. This recording is my first acquintance with his music. I like it very much. If it is true that Victoria valued Lobo as an equal, that is wel deserved. The musical feel is however quite different. Lobo is incoporating more Italian influences and the result is a more, airy, transparent contrapunctual style. I do not quite get the Amazon review (though the reviewer in question knows his Early Music well). The voices DO blend well together, but not into a smooth ethereal sound British choir style. I haven't heard the Tallis in Lobo, but I bet that is what they offer. Music Ficta's sound is intimate, personal and sober. I guess it depends what you are looking for.  :)

My only quible is that this disc is with 56 minutes rather short measured...... But definitely recommended if you are into Spanish Renaissance - or rather: not to be missed.

Q

Moonfish

Quote from: Que on March 08, 2014, 01:51:53 AM
Thanks for that antidote!  :)

[asin]B000KEGIHK[/asin]

Alonso Lobo was actually close colleague of Victoria. This recording is my first acquintance with his music. I like it very much. If it is true that Victoria valued Lobo as an equal, that is wel deserved. The musical feel is however quite different. Lobo is incoporating more Italian influences and the result is a more, airy, transparent contrapunctual style. I do not quite get the Amazon review (though the reviewer in question knows his Early Music well). The voices DO blend well together, but not into a smooth ethereal sound British choir style. I haven't heard the Tallis in Lobo, but I bet that is what they offer. Music Ficta's sound is intimate, personal and sober. I guess it depends what you are looking for.  :)

My only quible is that this disc is with 56 minutes rather short measured...... But definitely recommended if you are into Spanish Renaissance - or rather: not to be missed.

Q

The samples are beautiful! The Spanish Renaissance has so many neglected gems yet to be discovered. Thanks for recommending it!!! It is genre of music that I keep returning to as the vocal harmonies certainly are mesmerizing.
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

HIPster

Arcana has recently released a Mala Punica 3-CD boxed set:
[asin]B00H9KERSA[/asin]

From amazon:

The critically-acclaimed ensemble Mala Punica came into the limelight in the mid-1990's with a trilogy of illustrious, multi-award-winning discs on Arcana, which revolutionized the world of medieval music and performance practice: Ars subtilis Ytaliaca (A21), D'Amor ragionando (A22) and En attendant (A23). For the first time, all these milestone recordings are united in one set.

Any thoughts?  Thanks.   :)
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

petrarch

Quote from: HIPster on April 24, 2014, 05:22:38 PM
[asin]B00H9KERSA[/asin]

Excellent performances and recording quality. I already had the D'amor ragionando CD, but the chance to get all three of their releases on Arcana was too good to pass.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Que

The critically-acclaimed ensemble Mala Punica came into the limelight in the mid-1990's with a trilogy of illustrious, multi-award-winning discs on Arcana, which revolutionized the world of medieval music and performance practice: Ars subtilis Ytaliaca (A21), D'Amor ragionando (A22) and En attendant (A23). For the first time, all these milestone recordings are united in one set.

Very happy that you posted this - thanks! :)

Comments on these recordings in the past always have been very favourable - I've put it on the wish list right away.... 8)

Q

Mandryka

[asin]B00H9KERSA[/asin]

From amazon:

These are on spotify and they sound very dramatic and atmospheric, I'm looking forward to getting to know them. Thanks for posting.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Moonfish

I could not find any entry for this collection at GMG (but it has to be here somewhere...).

Any thoughts on this collection of polyphony from Ricercar?

Content:
http://www.outhere-music.com/fr/albums/the-flemish-polyphony-colour-book-of-200-pages-8-cd-s-in-a-magnificent-box-ric-102/livret

[asin] B005IIA9GY[/asin]

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

I am also pondering Ciconia's Opera Omnia.  Wonderful samples on Spotify. I am mesmerized.......
Any thoughts on these recordings?

[asin] B0053SQSNM[/asin]
Anna Lappé

The new erato

Quote from: Moonfish on May 07, 2014, 11:18:36 PM
I am also pondering Ciconia's Opera Omnia.  Wonderful samples on Spotify. I am mesmerized.......
Any thoughts on these recordings?

[asin] B0053SQSNM[/asin]
They are state of the art.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: The new erato on May 08, 2014, 12:15:37 AM

I don't really feel you mean it that way, but that sounds more like a thumbs down than thumbs up:
"So, how is this album?"
"Well, the recording quality is very good...." :-\
It's all good...

The new erato

Quote from: Baklavaboy on May 08, 2014, 01:12:04 AM
  I don't really feel you mean it that way, but that sounds more like a thumbs down than thumbs up:
"So, how is this album?"
They are state of the art in every way. They have collected dozens of prices and recommendations too.

North Star

Quote from: Baklavaboy on May 08, 2014, 01:12:04 AM
"So, how is this album?"
Diabolus in Musica is one of the best early music groups out there.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

petrarch

Quote from: North Star on May 08, 2014, 03:43:55 AM
Diabolus in Musica is one of the best early music groups out there.

+1. That Ciconia box is excellent.

Ricercar and the other Outhere labels (Alpha, Ramée, ZZT, Arcana, Aeon, ...) consistently have excellent releases, with outstanding performers and pristine recording quality.
//p
The music collection.
A view of the whole

petrarch

Quote from: Moonfish on May 07, 2014, 11:08:56 PM
I could not find any entry for this collection at GMG (but it has to be here somewhere...).

Any thoughts on this collection of polyphony from Ricercar?

Content:
http://www.outhere-music.com/fr/albums/the-flemish-polyphony-colour-book-of-200-pages-8-cd-s-in-a-magnificent-box-ric-102/livret

[asin] B005IIA9GY[/asin]

It's a very worthwhile box with plenty of material to dig through (both in music and in text). Recommended if you enjoy or would like to explore the music of the period. I also have (and recommend) the other 4 boxes they have released in a similar format.
//p
The music collection.
A view of the whole

Moonfish

Quote from: petrarch on May 08, 2014, 05:22:09 PM
It's a very worthwhile box with plenty of material to dig through (both in music and in text). Recommended if you enjoy or would like to explore the music of the period. I also have (and recommend) the other 4 boxes they have released in a similar format.

Ahhh, I was looking at those.  It seems like one is surrounded by musical temptations here at GMG. I presume they won't go OOP in the near future? Do you have the set that examines ancient instruments as well? If so, would you recommend it?

Is the Flemish polyphony set structured as an "educational" anthology, i.e. bits and pieces with unifying themes elucidated by the accompanying book?   
Anna Lappé

North Star

Quote from: Moonfish on May 08, 2014, 06:48:05 PM
Ahhh, I was looking at those.  It seems like one is surrounded by musical temptations here at GMG. I presume they won't go OOP in the near future? Do you have the set that examines ancient instruments as well? If so, would you recommend it?

Is the Flemish polyphony set structured as an "educational" anthology, i.e. bits and pieces with unifying themes elucidated by the accompanying book?   
The first customer review has a complete tracklist for the entire thing. No bits in these sets.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

premont

[asin]B00H9KERSA[/asin]

The Ars Subtilior is a distinctive style, which may demand some acclimatization, but which in the end may be very addictive.

When these CDs were released, some reviewers called the realisations a bit too inventive, and maybe a few of the works are made too long, but the sounding result is IMO splendid, and the musicians and singers are first class. I have lived happily with these CDs for almost 15 years.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: The new erato on May 08, 2014, 12:15:37 AM

It is difficult to talk about "state of the art", when we know so little about the performance practice of these pieces.

But I agree that the CD by Diabolus in Musica is a fine contribution to the relative sparse Ciconia discography. I am more reserved as to the CD by La Morra, i do not think they always find the right pure and intimate mood for these pieces, but I may be biased by other Ciconia recordings, by Studio der Frühe Musik and Paul van Nevel e.g.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν