The Early Music Club (EMC)

Started by zamyrabyrd, October 06, 2007, 10:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Brian

This is unusual: a CD funded by Kickstarter!

$16,500 raised on Kickstarter led to this recording of Spanish Renaissance and Baroque dances. Composers include Santiago Murcia, Gaspar Sanz, Jacob van Eyck, and Jose Marin, but also huge amounts of improvisation by the ensemble, including a concluding group improv based on an original theme, and a whole new song credited to the percussionist.

Justin Godoy, recorder
Joseph Gasho, harpsichord and organ
William Simms, theorbo and baroque guitar
Andrew Arceci, viola da gamba, bass, and colascione
Glen Velez, percussion

Three tracks in, this is an absolute peach. Total treat. Good job, Kickstarter!!

CD on CDBaby

DaveF

Quote from: clavichorder on October 12, 2014, 09:19:33 AM

And this is my preferred performance/recording of Gibbons viol consort music:

Definitely, even though it probably also belongs in the "Worst CD Cover" thread.  Wendy Gillespie has every reason to look worried.  But those 6-part fantasias... and the second 5-part In Nomine... Couldn't get better than that.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Mookalafalas

Postman brought this today. I got it second hand from Japan for a really good price (although more than the ultra-bargains some of you apparently got).  I'm so glad I managed to wrangle a copy (seems to be harder and harder to track down).  Anticipating a lot of profound musical enjoyment. 

[asin]B00205RKMO[/asin]
It's all good...

DaveF

[asin]B00NTDIA0C[/asin]

Vol.3 of Pieter-Jan Belder's Fitzwilliam Book is just out from Brilliant which, if it's as good as the first two, will be worth having.  Track listings are hard to find and even then (such as on Brilliant's own site) not quite right - the first track on Disc 1 is not the Pavana Pagget but another one (no.85 in the FVB); the third on Disc 2 is correctly listed as the Pagget one.  So not the same piece twice.  But basically it's mostly Peter Phillips with a bit of Sweelinck.

Florestan

I don´t know if it´s been discussed before, but the complete set of Cantigas de Santa Maria by the Musica Antigua ensemble conducted by Eduardo Paniagua is mind-blowing. A must for every Early Music afficionado.

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Que

Quote from: Florestan on December 09, 2014, 12:44:03 PM
I don´t know if it´s been discussed before, but the complete set of Cantigas de Santa Maria by the Musica Antigua ensemble conducted by Eduardo Paniagua is mind-blowing. A must for every Early Music afficionado.

I can't recall that it has been mentioned before.Is this it?

[asin]B0000029OR[/asin]

Q

torut

Earliest known piece of polyphonic music discovered

The inscription is believed to date back to the start of the 10th century and is the setting of a short chant dedicated to Boniface, patron Saint of Germany.
https://www.youtube.com/v/F5vqAU_EqG4

Isn't this Organum from Musica enchiriadis (late 9th century) the earliest notation of polyphony?

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musica_enchiriadis

torut

Quote from: HIPster on April 24, 2014, 05:22:38 PM
Arcana has recently released a Mala Punica 3-CD boxed set:
[asin]B00H9KERSA[/asin]
Thanks everyone who recommended this set. It is extremely beautiful. I will check out other recordings mentioned here.

Florestan

Quote from: Que on December 09, 2014, 02:09:33 PM
I can't recall that it has been mentioned before.Is this it?

[asin]B0000029OR[/asin]

Q

Sorry for the belated reply, I've been rather busy in other threads.  :D

That's only a small part of it. You can find an incomplete discography here: http://www.ctv.es/USERS/pneuma/cantigae.htm.

For complete discography, with complete previews of each cd, see here: https://www.youtube.com/user/emallohuergo/search?query=cantigas.

Hope it helps.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Que

Quote from: Florestan on December 22, 2014, 04:36:20 AM
Sorry for the belated reply, I've been rather busy in other threads.  :D

That's only a small part of it. You can find an incomplete discography here: http://www.ctv.es/USERS/pneuma/cantigae.htm.

For complete discography, with complete previews of each cd, see here: https://www.youtube.com/user/emallohuergo/search?query=cantigas.

Hope it helps.

Thanks!  :)

Q

Bogey

Quote from: Mookalafalas on November 04, 2014, 02:36:42 AM
Postman brought this today. I got it second hand from Japan for a really good price (although more than the ultra-bargains some of you apparently got).  I'm so glad I managed to wrangle a copy (seems to be harder and harder to track down).  Anticipating a lot of profound musical enjoyment. 

[asin]B00205RKMO[/asin]

Great pick up.  I will have to dust mine off this week.  I have not listened to it in some time.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Mandryka

Extremely intesting book review about the reception history of medieval music here

http://academiccommons.columbia.edu/catalog/ac%3A179363

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

petrarch

Quote from: Mandryka on December 29, 2014, 08:38:12 AM
Extremely intesting book review about the reception history of medieval music here

http://academiccommons.columbia.edu/catalog/ac%3A179363

Yes, very interesting indeed! Thanks for sharing.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Artem

I have listened to this CD already twice and I rather like it. I like how compact Gombert's compositions are. Everybody says that they're very dense and tight and I think it is a fitting description. I'm not hearing too much variety in his compositions yet, but there some stand out pieces, like the Media vita in motte sumus motet, which opens this album.

[asin]B000CCBC2G[/asin]

San Antone

I'm assuming this box has been mentioned, but if not - it is a good one.  I was reminded of it by a post of a different recording of the Ockeghem Requiem in the New Purchases Thread -

[asin]B008BT104M[/asin]

Has all my favorites.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: sanantonio on February 24, 2015, 10:36:36 AM
Has all my favorites.

I can't agree with this statement, but I do heartily endorse your opinion of the overall worth of the box.  Although the quality of each disc is high, I feel there is a sort of homogeneity of performance style that leads me to play this in limited doses.  I like to play it before I go to sleep, and upon awaking, but my wife isn't a fan, unfortunately, and those are the times when we listen together :-[  I think I will rip this to my hard-drive, and make a big mixed playlist with this, early harpsichord music, and Jordi Savall stuff.  I feel like a chef who has just had a brilliant insight into the ingredients to the perfect dish ;D
It's all good...

DaveF

I'm assuming this box has been mentioned, but if not - it is a good one.  I was reminded of it by a post of a different recording of the Ockeghem Requiem in the New Purchases Thread -

[asin]B008BT104M[/asin]

Has all my favorites.

And, oh dear, it can be got for about £15 or $20.  Thanks, I think.

Picked up this today in a charity shop for £1:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gregorian-Chants-Magnificat/dp/B000025YAK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424986969&sr=8-1

which at first sight looks like one of those ghastly "Gregorian Moods" discs complete with disco beat, but is in fact by the group Magnificat (Edward Wickham et al) and contains over 2 hours of superb chant singing, including the Missa pro defunctis, a Mass ordinary and lots of antiphons.

Que

[asin]B008BT104M[/asin]

Has all my favorites.

It's great deal. But stylistically outdated IMO. For me personally the British choral style and Franco-Flemish composers simply does not compute... ::)
These days there are plenty of preferable alternatives by other ensembles. :)

Q

San Antone

Quote from: Que on February 26, 2015, 11:09:40 PM
It's great deal. But stylistically outdated IMO. For me personally the British choral style and Franco-Flemish composers simply does not compute... ::)

Q

Interesting.  I haven't kept up with the newer recordings, but some of the ones recommended here I've been sampling.  All very nice.   I used to listen to early music much more than in the last decade or more, but I find myself drifting back. 

:)

The new erato

Quote from: Que on February 26, 2015, 11:09:40 PM
. For me personally the British choral style and Franco-Flemish composers simply does not compute... ::)

Q
I totally agree. They sound to cold and clinical (to generalize absurdly).