The Early Music Club (EMC)

Started by zamyrabyrd, October 06, 2007, 10:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HIPster

This recording by Doulce Memoire is outstanding.

Been getting a lot of plays here as of late~
[asin]B00CD5J31W[/asin]
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

San Antone

Quote from: aligreto on March 03, 2015, 01:57:33 PM
I am relatively new to this board and I am delighted to have discovered this thread. I like Early Music but I really do not know a lot about it relative to other eras. I therefore look forward to spending some time reading this thread in order to enlighten myself and further educate myself in the beauties of this sound world.

There are members who contribute to this thread who are more knowledgeable than I, but the most representative and reasonably priced introduction to early music I can think of is this box from Naxos:

[asin]B00HFDKT24[/asin]

While it mainly has movements from larger works it will expose you to a large selection composers and ensembles so that through it you can find ones you may wish to study in more depth.  Generally good performances.

Que

I wish the Huelgas Ensemble's Labyrinth box set was still available, that would have been my primary recommendation... ::)

Q

Moonfish

Quote from: Que on March 03, 2015, 03:05:50 PM
I am jealous!  ??? :) That has on my shopping list forever.... ::)
Just in case you don't already have, it a recommendation of a set with two of their other reocrdings:

[asin]B0019GKI9W[/asin]

Q

That looks really interesting Q! Thanks for posting it!! [the one click purchase button is an evil invention!]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

San Antone

Quote from: Que on March 03, 2015, 09:38:31 PM
I wish the Huelgas Ensemble's Labyrinth box set was still available, that would have been my primary recommendation... ::)

Q

You're right; I have this but don't think of it; for some reason thinking their recordings only as the individuals.  I did not know it was hard to find.

San Antone

Al-Hadiqat Al-Adai'a (El Jardí Perdut): Música I Poesia Andalusí a la València dels S. XII-XIII)

[asin]B004RCM4GU[/asin]

Music from Andalusian Spain sung in Arabic. (posted for the description not the download, which won't work anyway)

San Antone

Nice recording by the group Discantus, featuring Brigitte Lesne : Binchois, Argument of Beauty

[asin]B003ZWPAZA[/asin]

San Antone

Guillaume De Machaut : Sacred & Secular Music, by Ensemble Gilles Binchois - excellent boxset very reasonably priced.

[asin]B004QRUJJ0[/asin]

North Star

Quote from: sanantonio on March 04, 2015, 07:17:03 AMGuillaume De Machaut : Sacred & Secular Music, by Ensemble Gilles Binchois - excellent boxset very reasonably priced.
I'll second that recommendation.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

aligreto

Quote from: sanantonio on March 03, 2015, 06:01:09 PM
There are members who contribute to this thread who are more knowledgeable than I, but the most representative and reasonably priced introduction to early music I can think of is this box from Naxos:

[asin]B00HFDKT24[/asin]

While it mainly has movements from larger works it will expose you to a large selection composers and ensembles so that through it you can find ones you may wish to study in more depth.  Generally good performances.

Thank you for your help and recommendation; I will investigate that box set on the Naxos website.

aligreto

Quote from: Que on March 03, 2015, 09:38:31 PM

Q

I have just checked this one out on Amazon UK and it is availabel new; the price ranges from £279.99 to £349.99  :o
Some of you guys are sitting on a nice one there  ;)

aligreto

Quote from: sanantonio on March 04, 2015, 07:17:03 AM
Guillaume De Machaut : Sacred & Secular Music, by Ensemble Gilles Binchois - excellent boxset very reasonably priced.

[asin]B004QRUJJ0[/asin]

That one looks interesting.

Moonfish

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

When L'oiseau Lyre/Decca released their Baroque compilation last year I remember reading that they were planning to make two additional sets: one focused on Early Music and one on the Renaissance. Does anybody know anything about the progress of these projects?

[asin] B00IRQS24A[/asin]
Anna Lappé

San Antone

Quote from: Moonfish on March 04, 2015, 08:51:15 AM
When L'oiseau Lyre/Decca released their Baroque compilation last year I remember reading that they were planning to make two additional sets: one focused on Early Music and one on the Renaissance. Does anybody know anything about the progress of these projects?

[asin] B00IRQS24A[/asin]

I would love to find it but I can't.  However, I forgot about this one, which I bought a long time ago (must have been in the '70s) and still enjoy:

The Art of Courtly Love
David Munrow | The Early Music Consort of London

[asin]B000002SSB[/asin]

aligreto

Quote from: sanantonio on March 04, 2015, 11:31:36 AM

The Art of Courtly Love
David Munrow | The Early Music Consort of London

[asin]B000002SSB[/asin]

I had great admiration for Munrow and have a few of his recordings; I may have that one on vinyl but not too sure.

aligreto

Do try these two works [Musical Entertainments] for a bit of musical fun, in particular the Festino nella sera del giovedi grasso avanti cena...

San Antone

Wert : Five Part Madrigals

[asin]B00015WMIW[/asin]

Excellent recording.

Giaches de Wert (also Jacques/Jaches de Wert, Giaches de Vuert; 1535 – 6 May 1596) was a Franco-Flemish composer of the late Renaissance, active in Italy. Intimately connected with the progressive musical center of Ferrara, he was one of the leaders in developing the style of the late Renaissance madrigal. He was one of the most influential of late sixteenth-century madrigal composers, particularly on Claudio Monteverdi, and his later music was formative on the development of music of the early Baroque era.

San Antone

Masters from Flanders: Polyphony from the 15th & 16th century a ten volume series featuring Capella Sancti Michaelis and Currende Consort (Erik van Nevel).  It appears to be available only in digital formatting, and on most streaming services (I found all ten volumes on Spotify).

Seems to be a very good survey of this period.

Moonfish

Quote from: sanantonio on March 09, 2015, 11:47:10 AM
Masters from Flanders: Polyphony from the 15th & 16th century a ten volume series featuring Capella Sancti Michaelis and Currende Consort (Erik van Nevel).  It appears to be available only in digital formatting, and on most streaming services (I found all ten volumes on Spotify).

Seems to be a very good survey of this period.

It seems like used copies exist in the MP. 

Contents:
CD I: Adriaan Willaert and Italy
Cypriano De Rore
Giaches De Wert
Giovanni De Macque

CD 2: Philippe Rogier And Spain
Georges De La Hèle
Gerard Van Turnhout
Pierre De Manchicourt
Mateo Romero

CD 3: Orlandus Lassus
Ivo De Vento
Johannes De Fossa
Balduin Hoyoul

CD 4: 16th Century Songs and Dances from Flanders
Tielman Susato
Anonymous
Jheronimus Venders
Pierre de la Rue
Clemens Non Papa
Pierre Phalèse
Nicolas Liégois
Heinrich Isaac
Cornelis Boscoop
Ludovicus Episcopius

CD 5: Philippus De Monte and the Habsburgers
Jacobus Vaet
Alexander Utendal
Jacob Regnart
Arnold Von Bruck
Carolus Luython
Lambert De Sayve

CD 6: Nicolaas Gombert and the Court of Charles V
Clemens Non Papa
Thomas Crequillon

CD 7: Isaac, Obrecht, de la Rue

CD 8: Josquin des Prez

CD 9: Johannes Ockeghem and France
Loyset Compère
Antonius Divitis
Johannes Prioris
Antoine De Févin

CD 10: Guillaume Dufay and Burgundy
Antoine Busnois
Gilles Binchois
Alexander Agricola
Anna Lappé