The Early Music Club (EMC)

Started by zamyrabyrd, October 06, 2007, 10:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

HIPster

Quote from: sanantonio on March 09, 2015, 11:47:10 AM
Masters from Flanders: Polyphony from the 15th & 16th century a ten volume series featuring Capella Sancti Michaelis and Currende Consort (Erik van Nevel).  It appears to be available only in digital formatting, and on most streaming services (I found all ten volumes on Spotify).

Seems to be a very good survey of this period.
Looks amazing.  Thanks for posting it sanantonio.  Shout-out to Moonfish too, for listing the contents.   ;)

I'm now playing a new purchase:

Vox Cosmica
Hirundo Maris
[asin]B00O4DRAPW[/asin]

Stunningly beautiful recording of music composed by Hildegard of Bingen.  The group also performs several instrumental 'meditations' inspired by Hildegard's spiritual visions.  Powerful music!  A riveting performance - sounds like a true musical offering.

I'd say urgently recommended for those with an interest in  the music of Hildegard.   :)
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

San Antone

Quote from: HIPster on March 09, 2015, 04:52:18 PM
I'm now playing a new purchase:

Vox Cosmica
Hirundo Maris
[asin]B00O4DRAPW[/asin]

Stunningly beautiful recording of music composed by Hildegard of Bingen.  The group also performs several instrumental 'meditations' inspired by Hildegard's spiritual visions.  Powerful music!  A riveting performance - sounds like a true musical offering.

I'd say urgently recommended for those with an interest in  the music of Hildegard.   :)

Looks really interesting.

San Antone

Phenomenal box set

Dowland - The Collected Works
The Consort of Musicke, Rooley

[asin]B000004CYV[/asin]

The new erato

Quote from: sanantonio on March 09, 2015, 05:56:04 PM
Phenomenal box set

Dowland - The Collected Works
The Consort of Musicke, Rooley

[asin]B000004CYV[/asin]
which will probably be included in a coming Renaissance box set from L'Oiseau-Lyre.....

San Antone

Quote from: The new erato on March 09, 2015, 10:14:18 PM
which will probably be included in a coming Renaissance box set from L'Oiseau-Lyre.....

Which is a set of interest to me.  Any idea when it will be available?

I've found the Kassiopeia Quintet's complete Gesualdo madrigals recordings on Spotify:

[asin]B000244PZU[/asin]

Anyone else familiar with them? 

San Antone

How does this Huelgas recording ...

[asin]B00A2CL6SQ[/asin]

... compare with this one by Cinquecento?

[asin]B008B3P4FO[/asin]

Mandryka

Quote from: sanantonio on March 01, 2015, 11:56:08 AM
I like this a lot - curious about other views

[asin]B000000R38[/asin]

Yes I think it's tremendous. I started a thread on amazon about Ars Subtilior which you might find interesting, I tried here but there were no contributions

http://www.amazon.com/forum/classical%20music/ref=cm_cd_search_res_ti?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2O5YQ79OVJBUQ&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx3HCWWJYD19UN2#Mx17QK1DW0H29TO
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

San Antone

Quote from: Mandryka on March 10, 2015, 11:59:53 AM
Yes I think it's tremendous. I started a thread on amazon about Ars Subtilior which you might find interesting, I tried here but there were no contributions

http://www.amazon.com/forum/classical%20music/ref=cm_cd_search_res_ti?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2O5YQ79OVJBUQ&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx3HCWWJYD19UN2#Mx17QK1DW0H29TO

Interesting thread, thanks for linking it.  I found several of the suggested recordings on Spotify.  BTW, is your avatar Oswald van Wolkenstein?

Mandryka

Quote from: sanantonio on March 10, 2015, 12:13:54 PM
Interesting thread, thanks for linking it.  I found several of the suggested recordings on Spotify.  BTW, is your avatar Oswald van Wolkenstein?

Yes. The big one which isn't on spotify is  'Saracen & the Dove' It's growing on me, you should try to hear it I think. Same for Tetraktis.

Yes I am Oswald van Wolkenstein. I like his wink more than his music.

San Antone

Quote from: Mandryka on March 10, 2015, 12:30:13 PM
Yes. The big one which isn't on spotify is  'Saracen & the Dove' It's growing on me, you should try to hear it I think. Same for Tetraktis.

Yes I am Oswald van Wolkenstein. I like his wink more than his music.

Saracen & the Dove is on Spotify.

I agree regarding Oswald.

SonicMan46

Quote from: sanantonio on March 10, 2015, 11:30:12 AM

Andrea Mantegna - one of my favorite artists from the period - The Lamentation over the Dead Christ (tempera on canvas) done in 1490 - such realism & perspective; located at the Pinacoteca di Brera, Milan (Source) - wife and I were on a trip to northern Italy in April 1996, mainly Milan & Bologna - saw the painting then.  Dave :)

San Antone

It is tragic that the Project Ars Nova ensemble is no longer together or recording.  I consider their recordings to be some of the best for this period.  I've been listening to this one:

[asin]B000000R2J[/asin]

I am struck at how contemporary it sounds; almost jazz like in places.  This is incredibly vibrant music and music-making.

Very highly recommended!

Drasko

Quote from: sanantonio on March 10, 2015, 06:33:40 AM
I've found the Kassiopeia Quintet's complete Gesualdo madrigals recordings on Spotify:

[asin]B000244PZU[/asin]

Anyone else familiar with them?

I remember asking the same question few years ago, and someone replying that they are ok but bland compared to Concerto Italiano and La Venexiana.

Mandryka

Quote from: sanantonio on March 10, 2015, 12:34:34 PM
Saracen & the Dove is on Spotify.

I agree regarding Oswald.

I listened to Saracen and Dove again. It's some of the strangest, most difficult, music I know. The Orlando Consort remind me of Ensemble Organum in their Chantilly Codex CD, in that they underplay the sensuality, and highlight the avant garde aspect.

Que

Quote from: Drasko on March 10, 2015, 04:58:15 PM
I remember asking the same question few years ago, and someone replying that they are ok but bland compared to Concerto Italiano and La Venexiana.

We indeed discussed this before, the performances seem to have had very little exposure.

I'll try to look it up. It's a Dutch ensemble BTW.

Q

Que

Quote from: sanantonio on March 10, 2015, 11:30:12 AM
How does this Huelgas recording ...

[asin]B00A2CL6SQ[/asin]

... compare with this one by Cinquecento?

[asin]B008B3P4FO[/asin]

Most of us seem to have one or the other, and both parties seem to be very happy... 8) Though I believe the few that have both prefer the Cinquecento. I touched on the topic briefly before, mentioning some reviews:
http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,21492.msg738941/topicseen.html#msg738941

It seems these are both excellent yet distinctly different performances?  :)

Q

San Antone

Quote from: Que on March 10, 2015, 11:07:18 PM
Most of us seem to have one or the other, and both parties seem to be very happy... 8) Though I believe the few that have both prefer the Cinquecento. I touched on the topic briefly before, mentioning some reviews:
http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,21492.msg738941/topicseen.html#msg738941

It seems these are both excellent yet distinctly different performances?  :)

Q

Thanks.  The Huelgas is on Spotify, nothing by Cinquecento is, so I am probably going to purchase that or another of their recordings just to hear them.   I like what I've read.

San Antone

Quote from: Mandryka on March 10, 2015, 10:39:54 PM
I listened to Saracen and Dove again. It's some of the strangest, most difficult, music I know. The Orlando Consort remind me of Ensemble Organum in their Chantilly Codex CD, in that they underplay the sensuality, and highlight the avant garde aspect.

I went back to Reese and read about the trecento, or Italian Ars Nova, a somewhat related style, e.g. Ciconia is included in the discussion.  There are several recordings of interest on Spotify featuring the composers from Italy from 1325-1425, which is how Reese dates this period.  The music primarily comes from the Squarcialupi Codex and Rossi Codex.

Stylems, Music from the Italian Trecento (Spotify link)

[asin]B001D0RS74[/asin]

Mandryka

Quote from: sanantonio on March 11, 2015, 01:54:08 AM
I went back to Reese and read about the trecento, or Italian Ars Nova, a somewhat related style, e.g. Ciconia is included in the discussion.  There are several recordings of interest on Spotify featuring the composers from Italy from 1325-1425, which is how Reese dates this period.  The music primarily comes from the Squarcialupi Codex and Rossi Codex.

Stylems, Music from the Italian Trecento (Spotify link)

[asin]B001D0RS74[/asin]

I'm convinced that appreciating Ars Subtilior can demmand a new order of listening skills, and this is why Orlando Consort and others can be so disorienting. Others force the music into a more conventional pattern of harmony, rhythm, voicing, tones, etc. I do feel that the austere approach is rewarding, but requires more effort than the relaxing, easy listening style of ensembles like Tetrakis, or Hesperion 20. IMO the Codex Chantilly is Brian Ferneyhough avant la lettre.

San Antone

Quote from: Mandryka on March 11, 2015, 08:20:47 AM
I'm convinced that appreciating Ars Subtilior can demmand a new order of listening skills, and this is why Orlando Consort and others can be so disorienting. Others force the music into a more conventional pattern of harmony, rhythm, voicing, tones, etc. I do feel that the austere approach is rewarding, but requires more effort than the relaxing, easy listening style of ensembles like Tetrakis, or Hesperion 20. IMO the Codex Chantilly is Brian Ferneyhough avant la lettre.

Richard Taruskin has a lengthier section regarding this style in his book on this period and points out that the term "Ars Subtilior" is of rather recent vintage, ~ 1960s.  The main stylistic trait appears to have been rhythmic (even polymetric) experimentation by composers such as Philippus de Caserta.

Two collections (that may not be new to you) which contain some of this music are

[asin]B00SBVHEY0[/asin]   
Or on Spotify

[asin]B00H9KERSA[/asin]   
Or on Spotify