The Early Music Club (EMC)

Started by zamyrabyrd, October 06, 2007, 10:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: sanantonio on April 02, 2015, 04:45:58 AM
I just prefer the sound men singing this repertory.

I see. I suppose you're not into opera either.   :)
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Karl Henning

Quote from: sanantonio on April 02, 2015, 04:40:27 AM
My preference is not based on historical reasons, but because of the sound of women's voices.  And for mixed groups, if the balance is top heavy it is not to my taste.

Boy trebles have less "heft" in the balance, so that is another advantage.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

San Antone

Quote from: Florestan on April 02, 2015, 04:47:19 AM
I see. I suppose you're not into opera either.   :)

Not a problem (depending on the work), nor is lieder, or female soloists.   Pie Jesu from the Durufle Requiem is beautiful, especially sung by Janet Baker.  The preference I am speaking of is limited to very early up to Medieval music.  Monteverdi madrigals are already too late to figure in.  Anonymous 4 has made a specialty of early chant, which is exactly the music I prefer to hear sung by men.

aligreto

Palestrina: Lesson 1 for Maundy Thursday from this CD....

San Antone

Plorer, Gemir, Crier: Homage to the Golden Voice of Johannes Ockeghem
Antoine Guerber (Conductor), Diabolus in Musica

Very fine.

Wakefield

Quote from: sanantonio on April 02, 2015, 04:50:08 AM
The preference I am speaking of is limited to very early up to Medieval music.  Monteverdi madrigals are already too late to figure in.

Even so, in regards to Monteverdi, IIRC, you're one of the very few people here that have expressed a very good opinion of Delitiae Musicae which I certainly share.  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

EigenUser

A while ago I read that the fourth movement of Messiaen's Et Exspecto Resurrectionem Mortuorum was based off of a Gregorian Easter chant. Would anyone happen to know what exactly this chant is? I'd like to hear it in its original setting. Here is the fourth movement of the Messiaen, in case it helps (which it probably won't because I'm sure it has been mangled beyond recognition :laugh:).
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

San Antone

Quote from: Gordo on April 03, 2015, 06:40:46 PM
Even so, in regards to Monteverdi, IIRC, you're one of the very few people here that have expressed a very good opinion of Delitiae Musicae which I certainly share.  :)

Is it the Naxos series for Monteverdi and Gesualdo that you are thinking of?  I do consider them very worthwhile recordings.

The new erato

Quote from: Gordo on April 03, 2015, 06:40:46 PM
Well, I like them too, and said so some years ago.

San Antone

Just discovered a series of recordings covering the music of the trouveres and troubadours. I am listening to vol. 6, but will certainly check out vols 1-5

Troubadours Art Ensemble 
Zuchetto, Gerard - Conductor

Wakefield

Quote from: The new erato on April 06, 2015, 12:19:56 AM
Well, I like them too, and said so some years ago.

Of course! You're among the very few.  :D
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Wakefield

Quote from: sanantonio on April 05, 2015, 05:08:52 PM
Is it the Naxos series for Monteverdi and Gesualdo that you are thinking of?  I do consider them very worthwhile recordings.

Yes, but just Monteverdi, I bought the complete collection. On the other hand, I never liked Gesualdo. It's probably too much experimental for my usual tastes.  ;D
-- Voltaire

San Antone

Quote from: Gordo on April 06, 2015, 09:59:28 AM
Yes, but just Monteverdi, I bought the complete collection. On the other hand, I never liked Gesualdo. It's probably too much experimental for my usual tastes.  ;D

Ah, the Prince of Venosa and Count of Conza is too much for you!   :o

Mandryka

Quote from: sanantonio on March 31, 2015, 11:32:59 AM
Two fantastic recordings by Pierre Hamon, Marc Mauillon, and others performing music of Guillaume de Machaut.

Remede de Fortune Import

[asin]B0027YUKKC[/asin]

Mon chant vous envoy

[asin]B00D8DVFF0[/asin]

On Mon Chant Vous Envoy, the team formed in 2005 by Pierre Hamon around the exceptional baritone Marc Mauillon continues to explore the work of the great French musician-poet of the 14th century, Guillaume de Machaut. The album's collection of songs, virelais, ballads and roundels of Guillaume de Machaut exemplify the composer's understanding of the poetic art of courtly love, whose melodies are part of our memory and our psyche. Mauillon is an exceptional talent even in the current environment of medieval music and these melodies 700 years on still maintain an impact. Marc Mauillon is accompanied by his sister Angelique Mauillon on harp, violinist VivaBiancaLuna Biffi, and group leader Pierre Hamon on flute.

One outstanding Marc Mauillon disc is called L'amoureus tourment. I play it a lot.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

EigenUser

Quote from: EigenUser on April 05, 2015, 03:40:09 PM
A while ago I read that the fourth movement of Messiaen's Et Exspecto Resurrectionem Mortuorum was based off of a Gregorian Easter chant. Would anyone happen to know what exactly this chant is? I'd like to hear it in its original setting. Here is the fourth movement of the Messiaen, in case it helps (which it probably won't because I'm sure it has been mangled beyond recognition :laugh:).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NbjEA7WCYs
Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

DaveF

Quote from: Gordo on April 06, 2015, 09:54:35 AM
Of course! You're among the very few [to express a liking for Delitiæ Musicæ].  :D

Me too - my favourite group for the Monteverdi madrigals.  An 8th book from them would be good - although it's been a long time since they recorded Book 7.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

San Antone

Quote from: EigenUser on April 07, 2015, 12:13:11 AM
Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

The theme Messiaen uses in the beginning sounds similar to the Introit chant for Easter day.  Here's one recording with the chants for Easter Mass

https://www.youtube.com/v/oPLRZGaqA3A

EigenUser

Quote from: sanantonio on April 07, 2015, 03:54:28 AM
The theme Messiaen uses in the beginning sounds similar to the Introit chant for Easter day.  Here's one recording with the chants for Easter Mass

That is definitely it. It must be. Thanks for the help!

I've had the Messiaen-ized version stuck in my head all day today so far.

Ken B

Quote from: sanantonio on April 07, 2015, 03:54:28 AM

Nice catch!

San Antone

New (to me) discovery.  This recording from 2010 features a group, sounds like OVPP, male (with boy soprano) after reading more from their site they are a mixed group, of Thomas Tallis.

[asin]B002TXIV8Y[/asin]

Worth a listen.