San Antone

I blogged about Early Music today:

Focus : Early Music

Comments always welcome!

:)

bluemooze

San Antone

Artem

Enjoyed that blogpost very much, sanantonio.

San Antone

Artem

By the way, has there ever been a reissue of the Byrd cd mentioned in your post?

San Antone

Quote from: Artem on April 27, 2015, 05:20:56 PM
By the way, has there ever been a reissue of the Byrd cd mentioned in your post?

The one that I link to in the post is this one

[asin]B000026JDO[/asin]

a bit pricey, yes, but I am not sure if there is another one available.

San Antone

I just bought The Orlando Consort's first two releases on Hyperion Records.  Both are of Machaut:

Livre dou Voir Dit ('Book of the True Tale') is Machaut's masterpiece. By its very title, the tale purports to be autobiographical: it relates a supposedly recent episode in the ageing poet-composer's life, his love affair with a lady some forty years his junior.

San Antone

Ensemble Micrologus perform music from the 13th-16th century, mainly from Italy.  Patrizia Bovi, their primary soloist, has a voice with an edge and rough quality which is very pleasing.  They've been around for a long time, since 1984, but not much is said about them on GMG.  Their founding member died in 2006 but they have continued to produce programmatic concerts and recordings  Their most recent CD was released in July 2014 with frottole and villotte about folk themes and figures, later destined to become stock characters of the Commedia dell'Arte, of late 15th – Century.

I've heard these two recordings:

[asin]B00000G3ZS[/asin]

[asin]B0007OY3FC[/asin]

Which I think are very fine.

San Antone

Heinrich Laufenberg: Kingdom of Heaven

[asin]B00NGSCMK4[/asin]

Heinrich Laufenberg (1390-1460) is not well known, and there is a good, albeit unfortunate, reason why.  The building where he kept all of his music, the municipal library of Strasbourg, France, was destroyed during the Franco-Prussian war.  However, scholars had taken notes of his scores, including almost a complete set of his songs.  Although the texts survived, most of the music did not.  This album is an attempt to reconstruct some of these songs.  The ensemble Dragma utilized the scholarly notes from the 19th century and created music in idiomatic fashion.  Interspersed between the reconstructions are instrumental pieces from the period when Laufenberg lived.

Despite the rather speculative nature of the recording, the music is well worth your time.

Artem

I have recently bought that CD after seeing it receive Diapason D'Or award. I also think it is rather nice.

San Antone

Quote from: Artem on May 27, 2015, 06:37:26 PM
I have recently bought that CD after seeing it receive Diapason D'Or award. I also think it is rather nice.

I agree.

aligreto

Guillaume De Machaut according to Munrow....

premont

Quote from: aligreto on May 30, 2015, 03:29:50 AM
Guillaume De Machaut according to Munrow....

What does this release contain?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Jo498

This probably overlaps with or is contained in "The Art of Courtly Love"

[asin]B000002SSB[/asin]
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

aligreto

Quote from: (: premont :) on May 30, 2015, 04:54:14 AM
What does this release contain?

My version above is the original vinyl LP but here is a link with the track listing. It may well indeed be incorporated in the set listed by Jo498.

premont

Quote from: aligreto on May 30, 2015, 05:37:26 AM
My version above is the original vinyl LP but here is a link with the track listing. It may well indeed be incorporated in the set listed by Jo498.

Thanks. As I supposed Jo is right in his post above.

I asked, because I used to own the original LP release (box with 3 LPs - gave them away, when I got the CD release), but the cover picture was different.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

San Antone

Guillaume de Machaut (ca. 1300-1377) is the most well-known composer of the 14th century.  I can make this statement with complete confidence of its veracity.  Machaut had a day job, he worked for John of Luxembourg, King of Bohemia, from 'around twelve years' before 1330 until at least 1333 (and probably until 1346) (Leach, Elizabeth Eva. "Guillaume de Machaut, royal almoner: Honte, paour (B25) and Donnez, signeurs (B26) in context." Early Music 38.1 (2010): 21-42.)

These duties positioned and provided Machaut with the skill set and resources to preserve his music to a degree unavailable for most of his contemporaries.  As a result we have no problem of attribution, and at least two complete books of his works which were if not completely made by Machaut under his close supervision.  The ordering of the works in these volumes is especially important, and something Machaut no doubt controlled.

RTRH

aligreto

Quote from: sanantonio on May 31, 2015, 06:07:53 AM
Guillaume de Machaut (ca. 1300-1377) is the most well-known composer of the 14th century.  I can make this statement with complete confidence of its veracity.  Machaut had a day job, he worked for John of Luxembourg, King of Bohemia, from 'around twelve years' before 1330 until at least 1333 (and probably until 1346) (Leach, Elizabeth Eva. "Guillaume de Machaut, royal almoner: Honte, paour (B25) and Donnez, signeurs (B26) in context." Early Music 38.1 (2010): 21-42.)

These duties positioned and provided Machaut with the skill set and resources to preserve his music to a degree unavailable for most of his contemporaries.  As a result we have no problem of attribution, and at least two complete books of his works which were if not completely made by Machaut under his close supervision.  The ordering of the works in these volumes is especially important, and something Machaut no doubt controlled.

RTRH

Thank you for that and especially for the link, which I will follow up later.