Hovhaness: Mysterious Mountain

Started by Steve, April 18, 2007, 08:30:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

I recently introduced to this wonderful piece on WFMT. They were playing the Fritz Reiner recording, which includes on disk, pieces from Prokofiev and Stravinsky. Any thoughts on this recording?
http://www.amazon.com/Hovhaness-Mysterious-Mountain-Alan/dp/B000003FMX

Perhaps, some other reccomendations?

MishaK

That's pretty much the reference. It was the first time that a major orchestra performed and recorded his work and it was a breakthrough for Hovhaness's career (after Copland and Bernstein were so mean to him and called his music "ghetto music"). Gerard Schwarz with the Seattle SO is another good choice, but Reiner has hardly been bettered.

bhodges

Another vote for the Reiner recording.  (I don't recall hearing the Seattle one.)  A very striking piece, from a very unusual compositional voice. 

--Bruce

PerfectWagnerite

Schwarz must have made more than one recording of this work then. I have this one:

Hardly what I would call a knockout. Maybe I'll seek out the Reiner.

Harry

Well look no further than the more than excellent Naxos recordings and licensed ones. Good value and good recordings.

MishaK

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on April 18, 2007, 08:56:24 AM
Schwarz must have made more than one recording of this work then. I have this one:

I meant this one:

I haven't listened to it in a long time, but it doesn't reach Reiner's level.

karlhenning

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on April 18, 2007, 08:56:24 AM

I like the recording a great deal;  my quarrel is more with the composer, in that all the pieces blur together . . . .

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: karlhenning on April 18, 2007, 09:07:05 AM
I like the recording a great deal;  my quarrel is more with the composer, in that all the pieces blur together . . . .

I think it's hard to put a success all-Hovhaness program together. Many of his music sound so-alike. A great conductor will most likely take great care to differentiate these similar pieces, which Schwarz failed to do.

karlhenning

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on April 18, 2007, 09:13:02 AM
I think it's hard to put a success all-Hovhaness program together. Many of his music sound so-alike.

Yes, which is one reason the I Fiamminghi disc is such a success, I think.  The variety of works and textures helps a lot.

All the pieces on the Schwarz disc are pleasant to listen to, but Hovhaness's Muse seemed to sing to him in much the same tone, whenever it was a matter of an orchestral work inspired by a mountain  8)

MishaK

Quote from: karlhenning on April 18, 2007, 09:07:05 AM

That's true of the majority of his works, but a few have quite a bit of character. Have you heard his Cello Concerto?

karlhenning

Quote from: O Mensch on April 18, 2007, 09:21:50 AM
That's true of the majority of his works, but a few have quite a bit of character. Have you heard his Cello Concerto?

They do indeed, and no, I have not yet heard the Cello Concerto.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: karlhenning on April 18, 2007, 09:19:53 AM

All the pieces on the Schwartz disc are pleasant to listen to, but Hovhaness's Muse seemed to sing to him in much the same tone, whenever it was a matter of an orchestral work inspired by a mountain  8)

Isn't the guy's name Schwarz and not Schwartz. I am not the official spelling police but since you had it in bold...

karlhenning

Thanks, I've corrected it in my post.

Harry

I love what I heard of this composer, and could happily listen all evening without fatigue really, to music of his hand.
Each work has for me a individuality, and is clearly distinguishable from other works composed by him.

MishaK

Quote from: karlhenning on April 18, 2007, 09:22:51 AM
They do indeed, and no, I have not yet heard the Cello Concerto.

You should. There is a very fine and inexpensive recording with Starker with some stuning contributions from the Seattle SO's trombone section.

BorisG

Quote from: Steve on April 18, 2007, 08:30:48 AM
I recently introduced to this wonderful piece on WFMT. They were playing the Fritz Reiner recording, which includes on disk, pieces from Prokofiev and Stravinsky. Any thoughts on this recording?
http://www.amazon.com/Hovhaness-Mysterious-Mountain-Alan/dp/B000003FMX

Perhaps, some other reccomendations?

Mount St. Helens (Symphony No. 50), which I think is one of 20th century's greatest symphonies.

Steve

Quote from: O Mensch on April 18, 2007, 09:21:50 AM

Karl, is your scuffle with the composer due to his undifferetiated works, or the amorphous (melting-pot) nature of this piece? I am interested in tyring the Schwarz. What where you fond of? Sonics, tone, articulation, tempi?

david johnson

reiner/cso for me.  i heard the seattle once and enjoyed it also.

dj

Grazioso

Look no further than

The Hovhaness Collection Vol. 2 on Delos, which includes Mysterious Mountain and the much better Mount St. Helens symphony. Another excellent symphony by this composer is Celestial Gate.
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

karlhenning

Quote from: Steve on April 18, 2007, 06:13:42 PM
Karl, is your scuffle with the composer due to his undifferetiated works, or the amorphous (melting-pot) nature of this piece?

The former;  I do enjoy the character of both pieces . . . if I like Tweedledee, how shall I dspise Tweedledum?  ;)