Hovhaness: Mysterious Mountain

Started by Steve, April 18, 2007, 08:30:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: BorisG on April 18, 2007, 01:20:55 PM
Mount St. Helens (Symphony No. 50), which I think is one of 20th century's greatest symphonies.

Another vote for this. I think it is Hovhannes masterpiece, but I also like Symphony 1 "Exile" No 11 "All Men are brothers" (kind of appropriate at the moment), Odysseus Symphony,  St Vartan Symphony and Meditations on Orpheus. The critics are quite snooty about Hovhannes ("atmosphere not argument, like film music" etc) but I think it deserves more serious consideration.  I suspect that his music will last. the Japanese compose yoshimatsu (many Chandos CDs) is not dissimilar (and also written off by many critics) but it means more to me than music by a lot of more highly rated contemporary composers.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

johnQpublic

I'm going and say it....someone needs to say it!

Hovhaness is the American version of Vivaldi.  >:D

Harry

Quote from: johnQpublic on April 19, 2007, 04:20:50 PM
I'm going and say it....someone needs to say it!

Hovhaness is the American version of Vivaldi.  >:D

There was no need at all my friend to do that, for it is simply not true.
Read the scores, before you write something down like that. :)

karlhenning

Anyway, I think that "atmosphere not argument" is a valid aesthetic to pursue, and in the hands of a master can be great art.  So that phrase of itself does not at all dismiss Hovhaness.

dissily Mordentroge

Quote from: Steve on April 18, 2007, 08:30:48 AM
I recently introduced to this wonderful piece on WFMT. They were playing the Fritz Reiner recording, which includes on disk, pieces from Prokofiev and Stravinsky. Any thoughts on this recording?
http://www.amazon.com/Hovhaness-Mysterious-Mountain-Alan/dp/B000003FMX

Perhaps, some other reccomendations?
Superb performance but inferior recording sonics.