Author Topic: Felix Mendelssohn (1809-1847) - Bicentennial Celebration!  (Read 21696 times)

Online Jo498

• Veteran member
Re: Felix Mendelssohn (1809-1847) - Bicentennial Celebration!
« Reply #120 on: June 28, 2020, 11:46:48 AM »
The Frith disc is quite good (I only have this one from his series), the most famous of the P&F is the e minor and this one has been recorded more frequently than the rest. Besides a few of the better known "Songs without words" that tend to show up as encores or on mixed recitals, the most famous piano piece is probably the "Variations serieuses" op.54. Two mixed anthologies I like are Kirschnereit (Arte Nova) and Knauer (Berlin), both include the variations, the latter also has the nice "Rondo capriccioso" whereas the former as a fantasy/sonata f# minor that seems more interesting than the "real sonatas" (one of which is also included). For Lieder ohne Worte Barenboim seems a classic recording.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 10:27:09 PM by Jo498 »
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Online kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #121 on: June 30, 2020, 02:25:51 PM »
I’m surprised to see only a meager 7 pages for Mendelssohn! I especially hold his chamber music in very high esteem. What a treasure trove of delightful invention! The string quartets (esp. nos. 1-3 and 6), piano trios, Cello Sonata no. 2, String Quintet no. 2, and Octet are all firm favorites of mine, and are tremendously fun to play - I had the pleasure of sight-reading the string quartets often with my college friends before the virus struck. I was listening to the Piano Trio no. 2 the other day and was once again struck by its quality - surely it’s one of his greatest works. The first movement unflaggingly sustains its power and argument over its whole duration, and the finale is truly uplifting with its incorporation of the Doxology. Not to say the middle movements aren’t great, either!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline Dowder

• Currently Listening to:
    All the good stuff
« Reply #122 on: June 30, 2020, 02:35:27 PM »
I certainly appreciate him more now than before. For some reason I only thought of him for the piano and violin concertos. In recent years his other works have grown on me and he seems more nuanced and interesting. My personal favorite is the string symphonies just because they are works that consistently put me in a good mood when hearing them.
”But what is government but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary.”~~James Madison, Federalist 51