Felix Mendelssohn (1809-1847) - Bicentennial Celebration!

Started by Expresso, October 09, 2007, 06:22:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498

The Frith disc is quite good (I only have this one from his series), the most famous of the P&F is the e minor and this one has been recorded more frequently than the rest. Besides a few of the better known "Songs without words" that tend to show up as encores or on mixed recitals, the most famous piano piece is probably the "Variations serieuses" op.54. Two mixed anthologies I like are Kirschnereit (Arte Nova) and Knauer (Berlin), both include the variations, the latter also has the nice "Rondo capriccioso" whereas the former as a fantasy/sonata f# minor that seems more interesting than the "real sonatas" (one of which is also included). For Lieder ohne Worte Barenboim seems a classic recording.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

kyjo

I'm surprised to see only a meager 7 pages for Mendelssohn! I especially hold his chamber music in very high esteem. What a treasure trove of delightful invention! The string quartets (esp. nos. 1-3 and 6), piano trios, Cello Sonata no. 2, String Quintet no. 2, and Octet are all firm favorites of mine, and are tremendously fun to play - I had the pleasure of sight-reading the string quartets often with my college friends before the virus struck. I was listening to the Piano Trio no. 2 the other day and was once again struck by its quality - surely it's one of his greatest works. The first movement unflaggingly sustains its power and argument over its whole duration, and the finale is truly uplifting with its incorporation of the Doxology. Not to say the middle movements aren't great, either!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

aligreto

I have in the past, for some reason unknown to me, paid scant attention to the String Quartets of Mendelssohn. That has changed significantly after hearing this set performed by the Gewandhaus Quartet. Both the music and their performances of it are excellent in every way. This has been a thoroughly enjoyable and enlightening listening experience. The integrity of the cycle of string quartets is totally complete with exceptional performances throughout.

I will now go on to listen to Mendelssohn's String Quintets of which I am equally ignorant. I have only attended to the Octet in the past but at least that is now, or soon will be, rectified.

Florestan

Quote from: aligreto on May 10, 2021, 06:15:39 AM

I have in the past, for some reason unknown to me, paid scant attention to the String Quartets of Mendelssohn. That has changed significantly after hearing this set performed by the Gewandhaus Quartet. Both the music and their performances of it are excellent in every way. This has been a thoroughly enjoyable and enlightening listening experience. The integrity of the cycle of string quartets is totally complete with exceptional performances throughout.

I will now go on to listen to Mendelssohn's String Quintets of which I am equally ignorant. I have only attended to the Octet in the past but at least that is now, or soon will be, rectified.

There's not a single dud in his whole chamber music output. Beside SQs, S5s and Octet, there are the violin sonatas, the cello sonatas, the clarinet sonatas, the piano trios, the piano quartets, the piano sextet and last but not least two absolutely delicious duos for clarinet and basset horn. Felix was a genius, I have no doubts about it.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

aligreto

Quote from: Florestan on May 10, 2021, 08:27:42 AM
There's not a single dud in his whole chamber music output. Beside SQs, S5s and Octet, there are the violin sonatas, the cello sonatas, the clarinet sonatas, the piano trios, the piano quartets, the piano sextet and last but not least two absolutely delicious duos for clarinet and basset horn. Felix was a genius, I have no doubts about it.

So I still have quite a long way to go yet.

Florestan

Quote from: aligreto on May 10, 2021, 08:51:24 AM
So I still have quite a long way to go yet.

Yes, but there's help available. I can let you have all you need, just PM me.  ;)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

aligreto

Quote from: Florestan on May 10, 2021, 08:59:15 AM
Yes, but there's help available. I can let you have all you need, just PM me.  ;)

Thank you, Andrei.

SonicMan46

Quote from: aligreto on May 10, 2021, 06:15:39 AM

Well, time for me to pull out some Felix M.!  Own all the works in the Brilliant box w/ other performers, so starting w/ some of his 'other chamber pieces' (inserted above):

Cello & Piano Works w/ Simca Heled and Simone Dinnerstein & Clarinet, Basset Horn & Piano Works w/ Alan Hacker and friends on period instruments - Dave :)

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Florestan on May 10, 2021, 08:27:42 AM

+1 for all that.  I think I enjoy his chamber music most of all the genres.  But that said I find the Songs Without Words to be disarmingly lovely.  And then the Organ Sonatas are really fine too!  A genius for sure....

Florestan

SonicMan46

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 10, 2021, 12:08:25 PM
+1 for all that.  I think I enjoy his chamber music most of all the genres.  But that said I find the Songs Without Words to be disarmingly lovely.  And then the Organ Sonatas are really fine too!  A genius for sure....

Quote from: Florestan on May 10, 2021, 12:11:02 PM
8)

Songs Without Words w/ Livia Rev - now, I've owned the version below for a dozen years or more and have not explored other performances - so, just curious which are some of your favorite interpretations of these wonderful pieces?  Thanks - Dave :)

Roasted Swan

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 10, 2021, 12:33:09 PM
Songs Without Words w/ Livia Rev - now, I've owned the version below for a dozen years or more and have not explored other performances - so, just curious which are some of your favorite interpretations of these wonderful pieces?  Thanks - Dave :)

I am very limited in my knowledge of many versions.  My introduction was a couple of discs on Naxos played by Peter Nagy.  I'm sure others will have greater insights but I have always enjoyed his unfussy approach allowing the simple beauty of the music to speak without over sentimentalising it.  The Op.30 No.1 that was used to such powerful effect in the film "Sophie's Choice" never fails to move me.....

SonicMan46

Continuing w/ more Mendelssohn Chamber Works w/ the performers shown below - Dave :)

aukhawk

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 09, 2020, 08:25:57 AM
Well, I don't seem to own the Capriccio, Rondo, Serenade, or the 'double' concerti - just curious about others' 'Concerti Collections' - what are your favorites and are the works that I don't have in my collection worth exploring?  Thanks - Dave

After the Octet, my favourite music by Mendelssohn is the Double Piano Concerto.
It's very unusual for me to like 'happy' music but Mendelssohn overcomes my resistance  :)

Mendelssohn, Piano Concertos - Ogdon, Lucas, ASMF cond. Marriner

These days that recording can be found buried in this twofer:

SonicMan46

Some more of Felix's Chamber Music, i.e. the String Quartets w/ the Pacifica Quartet - I've bought and culled/saved these works for a number of decades - my current favorite is the Pacifica Quartet (reviews attached w/ a main article from Fanfare for those interested); the other set that I've kept in my collection is w/ the Emerson Quartet, which includes a fourth disc that adds the Octet with the group overdubbed.  Regardless, there are plenty of options out there for those liking these Mendelssohn chamber works.  Dave :)

Brahmsian

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 11, 2021, 08:09:28 AM
Some more of Felix's Chamber Music, i.e. the String Quartets w/ the Pacifica Quartet - I've bought and culled/saved these works for a number of decades - my current favorite is the Pacifica Quartet (reviews attached w/ a main article from Fanfare for those interested); the other set that I've kept in my collection is w/ the Emerson Quartet, which includes a fourth disc that adds the Octet with the group overdubbed.  Regardless, there are plenty of options out there for those liking these Mendelssohn chamber works.  Dave :)

The Emerson Quartet is the set I own and love. Highly recommend it!  :)

aligreto

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 11, 2021, 08:09:28 AM

I have downloaded your attachment Dave and I will give it a read later. Thank you.

SonicMan46

Mendelssohn, Felix - String Symphonies w/ Lev Markiz & the Nieuw Sinfonietta Amsterdam - astounding works from a boy between 11 and 14 years of age!  Multiple reviews attached - over the years I've owned other performances of these works (shown below) - culled my classical music collection a year ago and kept Markiz and gave away Pople - listening now, well not a bad choice.  Dave :)

Brahmsian

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 12, 2021, 01:39:26 PM
Mendelssohn, Felix - String Symphonies w/ Lev Markiz & the Nieuw Sinfonietta Amsterdam - astounding works from a boy between 11 and 14 years of age!  Multiple reviews attached - over the years I've owned other performances of these works (shown below) - culled my classical music collection a year ago and kept Markiz and gave away Pople - listening now, well not a bad choice.  Dave :)

I have been potentially looking for a recording of the complete set of string symphonies.

Do you have a favourite Dave?

FWIW, I've only ever heard one string symphony so far, last fall, but I know I liked it. It was number 7 or 8, something like that. It was in a minor key.