Felix Mendelssohn (1809-1847) - Bicentennial Celebration!

Started by Expresso, October 09, 2007, 06:22:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: OrchestralNut on May 12, 2021, 01:48:26 PM
I have been potentially looking for a recording of the complete set of string symphonies.

Do you have a favourite Dave?

FWIW, I've only ever heard one string symphony so far, last fall, but I know I liked it. It was number 7 or 8, something like that. It was in a minor key.

Hi Ray - well, as stated I now have just the Markiz performances (the 4-CD set; there is a single SACD that the Amazonians bitched about likely not realizing what they were buying, so beware of that choice if you do not have the equipment - as in my case).  The Markiz reviews attached are superlative - the others I culled out but enjoyed Pople for years - guess those would be my two top choices from the ones that I've heard - but when you realize that these were composed by a young teenager, the works amaze - argumentative but Mendelssohn was certainly the 'equal' (perhaps even better?) that Wolfie at that age (now to step out of the ring -  :laugh:) - Dave  8)

Florestan

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 10, 2021, 12:33:09 PM
Songs Without Words w/ Livia Rev - now, I've owned the version below for a dozen years or more and have not explored other performances - so, just curious which are some of your favorite interpretations of these wonderful pieces?  Thanks - Dave :)

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 10, 2021, 01:13:02 PM
I am very limited in my knowledge of many versions.  My introduction was a couple of discs on Naxos played by Peter Nagy.  I'm sure others will have greater insights but I have always enjoyed his unfussy approach allowing the simple beauty of the music to speak without over sentimentalising it.  The Op.30 No.1 that was used to such powerful effect in the film "Sophie's Choice" never fails to move me.....

You can find a very comprehensive survey here:

https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,23753.0.html

(who else than Todd could have authored it?)
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

aligreto

Another version to consider is the one by Concerto Koln:

This is the only version that I own and I will be revisiting it soon  8)

Florestan

Imo Mendelssohn's best kept secrets are his Lieder. Neverfailing melodic invention, pianistic craftsmanship, disarming simplicity and pure beauty. Hyperion has released them all in a splendid series whose artcovers are Felix's own watercolors. Highly recommended.

Brahmsian

Quote from: aligreto on May 13, 2021, 01:36:07 AM
Another version to consider is the one by Concerto Koln:

This is the only version that I own and I will be revisiting it soon  8)

Thanks Dave and Fergus. There seems to be many iterations of the Concerto Köln sets. I'll be considering that one (Köln combined with the Kurt Masur symphonies box set, or the Lev Markiz set).

I now figured out it was number 7 that I heard before, last fall in a streaming concert. It was highly enjoyable and I found it to be unmistakably Mendelssohn.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: aukhawk on May 11, 2021, 04:08:08 AM
After the Octet, my favourite music by Mendelssohn is the Double Piano Concerto.
It's very unusual for me to like 'happy' music but Mendelssohn overcomes my resistance  :)

Mendelssohn, Piano Concertos - Ogdon, Lucas, ASMF cond. Marriner

These days that recording can be found buried in this twofer:

Just been listening to this via the "double-Decca" set you show.  The Ogden/Lucas performance is a joy but I'd forgotten just how brilliant is Jorge Bolet's Rondo Capriccioso Op.13 that's a filler in this set.  I don't have a lot of Bolet's recordings but goodness me he has the technique to play this kind of piece - a delight from first to last

Brahmsian

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 12, 2021, 02:27:03 PM
Hi Ray - well, as stated I now have just the Markiz performances (the 4-CD set; there is a single SACD that the Amazonians bitched about likely not realizing what they were buying, so beware of that choice if you do not have the equipment - as in my case).  The Markiz reviews attached are superlative - the others I culled out but enjoyed Pople for years - guess those would be my two top choices from the ones that I've heard - but when you realize that these were composed by a young teenager, the works amaze - argumentative but Mendelssohn was certainly the 'equal' (perhaps even better?) that Wolfie at that age (now to step out of the ring -  :laugh:) - Dave  8)

Well, I guess the Markiz is out for me, as I don't have a SACD player.  I guess I know very little of these things (audio wise), but I have many SACD discs (but I guess they are combined types) that play on regular CD players??  For example, the Dacapo Alan Gilbert/NYPO Nielsen symphony set that MI got me as a gift is an SACD, but it plays fine on my "regular" CD player.

I don't know what would be the case with this Markiz set where it would not play on a regular CD, but seeing the comments, I guess I should avoid it.

Brahmsian

I think I am leaning towards this one.  The reviews and price are both "right", it would seem.

SonicMan46

Quote from: OrchestralNut on May 13, 2021, 06:39:39 AM

Well, I guess the Markiz is out for me, as I don't have a SACD player.  I guess I know very little of these things (audio wise), but I have many SACD discs (but I guess they are combined types) that play on regular CD players??  For example, the Dacapo Alan Gilbert/NYPO Nielsen symphony set that MI got me as a gift is an SACD, but it plays fine on my "regular" CD player.

I don't know what would be the case with this Markiz set where it would not play on a regular CD, but seeing the comments, I guess I should avoid it.

Hi Ray - maybe my post was not clear, but I own the 4-disc set below left which plays on a standard CD player but might be pricey now?  BIS also came out w/ a single disc SACD (below right) of all the same works, but single layer, i.e. not a hybrid product, so will play only on a SACD machine but is cheaper.  Interestingly, I had the Concerto Köln box for a decade (and one of my favorite groups) but when I did some culling last year I decided to just keep the Markitz recordings, the performances and those reviews that I left in a previous attachment must have swayed me.  Dave :)

Brahmsian

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 13, 2021, 07:56:29 AM
Hi Ray - maybe my post was not clear, but I own the 4-disc set below left which plays on a standard CD player but might be pricey now?  BIS also came out w/ a single disc SACD (below right) of all the same works, but single layer, i.e. not a hybrid product, so will play only on a SACD machine but is cheaper.  Interestingly, I had the Concerto Köln box for a decade (and one of my favorite groups) but when I did some culling last year I decided to just keep the Markitz recordings, the performances and those reviews that I left in a previous attachment must have swayed me.  Dave :)

No, your post was clear Dave.  :)  Yes, the 4 disc set is quite pricey, compared to the 1 disc SACD, which I could not purchase as it is not a SACD/CD hybrid, as you say.  This is the reason I am now considering the Concerto Koln set (combined with the Kurt Masur recordings of the 5 full mature symphonies)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Florestan on May 13, 2021, 01:33:58 AM
You can find a very comprehensive survey here:

https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,23753.0.html

(who else than Todd could have authored it?)

Thanks Andrei for Todd's link on these works dating back to 2014 (I must have missed it or forgot? Checked Amazon and bought the Livia Rev recording there in 2009) - BUT, I just found the Daniel Gortler CDs as a used purchase on the MP for $8 USD (plus shipping) and placed an order - with Todd's recommendation and review and great comments from ClassicsToday, 9/9 rating attached, I should be pleased - NOW, I just saw that Brautigam has released two discs of these works on fortepiano (his McNulty) - several reviews also in the attachment - would be curious if anyone is familiar w/ these performances?  Just checked Spotify and both albums are available - made a playlist and will listen soon.  Dave :)

Brahmsian

Just relistening to the only string symphony of Mendelssohn's that I have ever listened to (Number 7).  YouTube performance (Tel-Aviv Soloists)/Barak Tal.

Again, I am struck (particularly by the final movement) by just how much this is vintage sounding Mendelssohn.  If you hear it, you know it cannot be anyone other than Mendelssohn who composed it.  :)

I dare challenge anyone to tell me I am wrong.  :)

Florestan

Quote from: OrchestralNut on May 13, 2021, 06:54:40 AM
I think I am leaning towards this one.  The reviews and price are both "right", it would seem.

I have that in the following combination

and I can vouchsafe you can't go wrong with the set you posted. Gewandhaus was Mendelssohn's own orchestra, they have his music in their genes and Masur is a very competent and sympathetic conductor, while Concerto Koeln feels like a fish in the water with the string symphonies. Don't hesitate, it's a no-brainer.

Florestan

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 13, 2021, 08:11:58 AM
I just saw that Brautigam has released two discs of these works on fortepiano (his McNulty) - several reviews also in the attachment - would be curious if anyone is familiar w/ these performances?  J

Well, Dave, I listened to some pieces from books 1-4 just the other night and I must say I found them rather rushed and un-poetic. I was quite tired after two hectic days, though, so I might have not been in the right mood. Will re-listen very soon and post my thoughts in the WAYLT thread.

FWIW, my favorite complete SWW recordings are Rev, Kyriakou and Barenboim (I also have Brautigam, Martin Jones and Frank van de Laar). Recently I got this set

but haven't listened to it yet.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Florestan on May 13, 2021, 11:18:37 AM
I have that in the following combination

and I can vouchsafe you can't go wrong with the set you posted. Gewandhaus was Mendelssohn's own orchestra, they have his music in their genes and Masur is a very competent and sympathetic conductor, while Concerto Koeln feels like a fish in the water with the string symphonies. Don't hesitate, it's a no-brainer.

Thank you, Andrei.  I wasn't looking for another set of the "5 mature symphonies", as I have always been happy with Ashkenazy there, but this combined set is at such a good price, I feel reassured to purchase it indeed.  :)

Florestan

When it comes to the symphonies, there are many options beside Masur which are never less than very good.

First and foremost this, which comes with the great bonus of having also the complete overtures

Then these two classics

The Brilliant Classics big box, namely this

has them with the Netherlands Radio Chamber Orchestra conducted by Frans Brueggen.

And the most recent recording is this

which I got just the other day.

Florestan

Quote from: OrchestralNut on May 13, 2021, 11:39:21 AM
Thank you, Andrei.  I wasn't looking for another set of the "5 mature symphonies", as I have always been happy with Ashkenazy there

Has Ashkenazy recorded the complete Mendelssohn symphonies?  :o

Blimey, I wasn't aware of that! I need that set and I need it now!

Brahmsian

Quote from: Florestan on May 13, 2021, 11:53:49 AM
Has Ashkenazy recorded the complete Mendelssohn symphonies?  :o

Blimey, I wasn't aware of that! I need that set and I need it now!

Yes indeed.  I find it to be a fantastic set.

Florestan

Quote from: OrchestralNut on May 13, 2021, 11:59:12 AM
Yes indeed.  I find it to be a fantastic set.

In seek-and-capture mode it went right away, thanks for mentioning it.  8)

Brahmsian

Quote from: Florestan on May 13, 2021, 12:00:59 PM
In seek-and-capture mode it went right away, thanks for mentioning it.  8)

You're welcome.  Happy to do so.  :)