Felix Mendelssohn (1809-1847) - Bicentennial Celebration!

Started by Expresso, October 09, 2007, 06:22:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498

Apparently McCreesh's Elijah is something really special. I have heard the piece in other recordings (in German) and don't remember it so well but it has certainly a few dramatic passages (the big scene with the Baalite priests etc.). I have seen St. Paul/Paulus in concert years ago and this could be called closer to Bach (whereas Elijah more like Handel). It certainly also has some tremendous pieces, already the ouverture on the "Sleepers, awake" choral (that later returns in choral form) is great although I find the "soprano narrator" a bit grating.

My favorite part Mendelssohn's oeuvre overall is the chamber music, most of which is really superb.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

brewski

For the big 214th birthday party, listening to the Octet (a longtime fave), just posted yesterday by the Norwegian Chamber Orchestra. As someone in the comments wrote, "they also managed to avoid syruping it up," which is true. Lovely, fresh playing, in a pleasing venue.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Jo498

I prefer Schumann overall; there is no contest in the solo piano music. I have not heard everything but even what to me seems that even the best of Mendelssohn (probably the Variations serieuses and maybe that fantasy sonatas f# minor) does not come close to lots of Schumann. Similarly with Lieder although Mendelssohn wrote very charming ones and I think they are underrated overall (e.g. Schilflied, Neue Liebe, neues Leben) but again nothing comparable to the great Schumann cycles. I might give Mendelssohn a slight edge in the chamber music but not really and it's pretty much tied in orchestral. (Not sure about choral pieces, here Schumann is probably more underrated than Mendelssohn although his largest ones like "Das Paradies und die Peri" and the Genoveva opera I remember as beautiful but somewhat tedious, not as convincing as e.g. Elijah/Elias.)

There is a somewhat unfair charge that Mendelssohn's music is slick and superficial (that could be said plausibly of a few pieces, usually minor ones) I don't share. But there is an easy brilliance in some early (like the string symphonies or the early piano quartets) and mature (like the piano concerti or the op.44 quartets) works that let's me understand why some people find him a bit superficial
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Florestan on February 04, 2023, 08:30:02 AMTo paraphrase Stravinsky, I claim that there is more musicality in the Wedding March than in the whole Ring Tetralogy.

What Stravinsky had of a composer, he had of a bullshitter.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

vers la flamme

Recommendations for Elias/Elijah? I see some high praise for the McCreesh on the previous page.

Edit: I'm still open to suggestions, but I did just pull the trigger on the Hickox/Chandos after finding a copy on eBay for three dollars with free shipping :D

The Hickox/BBC NOW recording of Paulus sounds awesome. Listening now for the first time.

VonStupp

Quote from: vers la flamme on April 11, 2023, 04:37:02 PMRecommendations for Elias/Elijah? I see some high praise for the McCreesh on the previous page.

Edit: I'm still open to suggestions, but I did just pull the trigger on the Hickox/Chandos after finding a copy on eBay for three dollars with free shipping :D

The Hickox/BBC NOW recording of Paulus sounds awesome. Listening now for the first time.

When it comes to Mendelssohn, Kurt Masur is (surprisingly) my man. He might seem a straight as an arrow kapellmeister or middle-ground patrician, but he really pushes along when it comes to Mendelssohn. His Lobgesang (Sym 2) really surprised me.

Masur's Elijah is around 1-hour 45-minutes and makes it a much easier listen for me. Not that I have heard all that many Elijah's...
VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

vers la flamme

Quote from: VonStupp on April 12, 2023, 04:37:09 PMWhen it comes to Mendelssohn, Kurt Masur is (surprisingly) my man. He might seem a straight as an arrow kapellmeister or middle-ground patrician, but he really pushes along when it comes to Mendelssohn. His Lobgesang (Sym 2) really surprised me.

Masur's Elijah is around 1-hour 45-minutes and makes it a much easier listen for me. Not that I have heard all that many Elijah's...
VS

I have and enjoy Masur's cycle of the symphonies, and was looking at his Elijah. Might be worth getting. Is it in English or German? Thanks for the comments.

Jo498

In German, I doubt any German or Austrian recording of a Mendelssohn or Haydn oratorio would be in English, maybe today but not in the 70s or 80s.
- Blaise Pascal

VonStupp

Quote from: Jo498 on April 13, 2023, 06:50:14 AMIn German, I doubt any German or Austrian recording of a Mendelssohn or Haydn oratorio would be in English, maybe today but not in the 70s or 80s.

True enough, although it is only Paulus that is with the Gewandhaus; Elijah is performed by the Israel PO (German chorus though).

Quote from: vers la flamme on April 13, 2023, 05:29:15 AMI have and enjoy Masur's cycle of the symphonies, and was looking at his Elijah. Might be worth getting. Is it in English or German? Thanks for the comments.

If you are pleased with the Hickox you were listening to, which I believe is in English(?), you are probably just fine. That gigantic McCreesh version is in English too, and also an interesting listen, whereas Masur is in German with a modern orchestra.

VS

vers la flamme

Quote from: VonStupp on April 13, 2023, 09:56:16 AMTrue enough, although it is only Paulus that is with the Gewandhaus; Elijah is performed by the Israel PO (German chorus though).

If you are pleased with the Hickox you were listening so, which I believe is in English(?), you are probably just fine. That gigantic McCreesh version is in English too, and also an interesting listen, whereas Masur is in German with a modern orchestra.

VS

I just ordered the Hickox after finding a copy for dirt cheap; I have yet to actually hear any of it! I have however been listening to, and enjoying, the Hickox recording of Paulus, which is surprisingly in German.

vers la flamme

Favorite recording of Mendelssohn's complete string quartets? I don't have any of them. 

DavidW

Quote from: vers la flamme on April 14, 2023, 04:29:11 PMFavorite recording of Mendelssohn's complete string quartets? I don't have any of them.

DavidW

Oh and pre-Pacifica I always listened to Talich Q:

Brahmsian

Quote from: vers la flamme on April 14, 2023, 04:29:11 PMFavorite recording of Mendelssohn's complete string quartets? I don't have any of them.

My plug is for the Emerson String Quartet. It's probably my favourite recording of the Emersons.

Florestan

Anyone familiar with these performances? The box looks very tempting to me.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

VonStupp

Quote from: OrchestralNut on April 15, 2023, 05:04:07 AMMy plug is for the Emerson String Quartet. It's probably my favourite recording of the Emersons.

I like the Emerson's in Mendelssohn too...I think my favorite overall set is the Henschel Quartet.
VS

Jo498

I have the two big oratorios with Rilling in an issue from Brilliant Classics, I think. But I don't remember too much about them, only that I eventually got also Masur for Paulus and Sawallisch for Elias although I rarely listen to these works.

Of the string quartets I have heard 3 complete recordings. The Artis Q. is very good, it's main fault some missing repeats but it's probably impossible to find nowadays. I would hesitate to recommend the Cherubini (EMI), it's not bad but a bit too weighty and very slow in some movements. The Talich is quite good as well.
Additionally, I'd recommend the single disc with the Ebene Q that has two favorite pieces (a minor and f minor) and the quartet of Felix's sister Fanny Hensel (née Mendelssohn).
- Blaise Pascal

vers la flamme

I can't stop listening to Paulus. Three times, in full, over the past week. It's really excellent.

W.A. Mozart

How do you rate the Piano Concerto in E minor (Piano Concerto No. 3) of one of favourite composers?