Felix Mendelssohn (1809-1847) - Bicentennial Celebration!

Started by Expresso, October 09, 2007, 06:22:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Expresso

It just came to me that i don't have anything by Mendelssohn. I listened to a vocal work (probably psalm 42) of his on the radio and it sounded good, in a Bach-like style.

Which are considered to be some of his best works?

71 dB

Mendelssohn is an undervalued composer imo.

He was a brilliant oratorio composer (Eliah, Paulus)

His Octet Op. 20 is a chamber masterpiece (Get the stunning Naxos disc with Bruch's octet)

If you like string orchestra music with baroque-like energy his String Symphonies are very enjoyable.

Violin Concerto Op. 64 is an essential concerto.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

dirkronk

His symphony #4 "Italian" is a true orchestral warhorse, filled with tunes you're sure to find familiar and quite invigorating. Many superb versions of it are out there (Stokowski, Szell, and various others come to mind), but none I've ever heard surpasses Van Beinum/Concertgebouw in a splendid mono (but hi-fi) recording from the early '50s. I've cherished my LP copies for at least two decades, but it's hard to find in CD form unless one frequents the Japanese online stores.

Much of Mendelssohn's chamber music is beautifully rewarding. Seek it out and sample whatever you find.

Enjoy the hunt.

Dirk

hautbois

P.S: There seems to be another recording with Argerich and Kremer with the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra that everyone raves about. Never
heard of it, but this rendition from Concerto Koln and 2 top notch soloists in the period instrument performance scene is more than necessary.

This is my essential Mendelssohn list, as for the symphonies, they are so well written that one can barely go wrong with any interpretation. For solo piano works, the Song without Words is probably essential along with smaller pieces like the Rondo Capriccioso in E minor Op.14. I am not familiar with those. Hope this helps.

Howard

hornteacher

Quote from: Expresso on October 09, 2007, 06:22:44 AM
It just came to me that i don't have anything by Mendelssohn.

:o :o :o :o :o  We must fix this.

A great starter kit would be:

Midsummer Night's Dream Overture
Piano Concerto 1
Symphony 4
Octet in Eb
and the VIOLIN CONCERTO performed by none other than:

Bogey

Really enjoy the below recording of his 4th.  Besides, if yo do not enjoy it, you are at least stuck with one of the best Schubert 8th's around.  ;)

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

robnewman

Felix Mendelssohn
Octet, Op.20
Scherzo
Guarneri String Quartet and Soloists (Excerpt)

http://www.mediafire.com/?r35qoxeyjzw

robnewman

Felix Mendelssohn
Violin Concerto in E Minor
3rd Movement
Soloist - Jascha Heifetz
Boston Symphony Orchestra/Munch

http://www.mediafire.com/?zmuqjzdguzz

Daverz

A Midsummer Night's Dream incidental music
Violin Concerto
Piano Concertos (2)
Die Erste Walpurgisnacht
Symphonies (5), particularly 3 & 4
Piano Trios (2)
Octet
String Quartets (6)
String Quintet #2
Cello Sonatas (2)
The Hebrides
Calm Sea and Prosperous Voyage
The Fair Melusine

String Symphonies (12)

Gabriel

There are so many great works by Mendelssohn. However, I tend to agree with the voices that consider the overture to the Midsummer Night's Dream as a kind of musical miracle. I see it with "classical" eyes, and I'm impressed by it; I see it with "romantic" eyes, and it is the same. And it is astonishing that when Mendelssohn decided to compose the rest of the incidental music, he was able to keep the same level.

Coopmv

I enjoy some of the more obscure Mendelssohn works such as these organ works, though I have yet to play the set after receiving it from MDT over a month ago ...

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: Gabriel on June 03, 2009, 12:27:02 PM
And it is astonishing that when Mendelssohn decided to compose the rest of the incidental music, he was able to keep the same level.

And I've read this point used as proof of his lack of development as a composer. I don't agree though  :)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Coopmv

Here is a wonderful set of Piano Works I have really enjoyed ...

Coopmv

Quote from: hornteacher on October 09, 2007, 05:05:18 PM
:o :o :o :o :o  We must fix this.

A great starter kit would be:

Midsummer Night's Dream Overture
Piano Concerto 1
Symphony 4
Octet in Eb
and the VIOLIN CONCERTO performed by none other than:

While I have a few CD's by Hilary Hahn, I am still more impressed with Julia Fischer overall ...

hornteacher

Quote from: Coopmv on June 03, 2009, 04:40:14 PM

While I have a few CD's by Hilary Hahn, I am still more impressed with Julia Fischer overall ...

Also a great violinist.  I particularly enjoy her Tchaikovsky recording and the Vivaldi DVD, gorgeous.  I have to go to Hahn for the Mendelssohn though.   :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Coopmv on June 03, 2009, 04:38:08 PM
Here is a wonderful set of Piano Works I have really enjoyed ...

I don't have that whole set, but I have 2 "Songs Without Words" disks from it and I agree, he matches up nicely to the music. I enjoy this disk for the sonatas:

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Freiburg Baroque Orchestra - K 297B Anh C14.01 Sinfonia Concertante in Eb for Flute, Oboe, Horn & Bassoon 3rd mvmt - Andantino con variazioni
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gabriel

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on June 03, 2009, 04:37:00 PM
And I've read this point used as proof of his lack of development as a composer. I don't agree though  :)

Don't agree then! ;D He developed in style: his works of the 1840s are different from the ones composed in the 1820s. But the fact that he managed to match with the incidental music such a masterpiece as the overture is for me not less than a proof of Mendelssohn's splendid talent. (Or, if you prefer, "genius" ;)).

Herman

The combined Janacek & Smetana String Quartets recorded arguably one of the very best versions of the much recorded Octet. And you get the Suk trio performing the 1st piano trio.

Milstein is the violinist to go to for the concerto, and the one with Steinberg is perhaps the most felicitous recording.

Mendelssohn a composer who didn't develop? His string quartets cover his entire life.

For the piano works Frith on Naxos might be a very good option; I've heard from various sources he's the Mendelssohn performer now. No idea why he's on a budget label.

FideLeo

Includes the concerto recording recommended above by Howard.
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!