Felix Mendelssohn (1809-1847) - Bicentennial Celebration!

Started by Expresso, October 09, 2007, 06:22:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo K.

I have to agree on the Abbado, and I will seek out the others you mention, much thanks Jens!

Appy34

Thanks for the recommendations. Think I'm going to check out the Leibniz disc...

Octave

From the Listening thread:

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on May 21, 2013, 06:13:00 PM
This magical disc:

plus The Hebrides' (Fingal's cave) - Overture, Op.26

Sandrine Piau, Delphine Collot, sopranos
La Chapelle Royale & Collegium Vocale Gent
Orchestre des Champs-Élysées
dir. Philippe Herreweghe

:)

I am keen to get this disc.  I notice that it was reissued in a 5cd with Herreweghe's recordings of ELIJAH and PAULUS; I'm curious if these recordings come recommended.  (I have only heard one other recording of each of these before.  They were interesting, but I wonder if I'd enjoy the Herreweghe more.)

Also curious if this other Mendelssohn/Herreweghe is worth checking out (two different editions, same contents afaik):

[asin]B00009IC6M[/asin]

[asin]B00008V5SP[/asin]
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

jlaurson

Quote from: Octave on May 24, 2013, 09:21:38 PM

Also curious if this other Mendelssohn/Herreweghe is worth checking out (two different editions, same contents afaik):

F. Mendelssohn-B.
Motets & Psalms
Herreweghe
Harmonia Mundi

German link - UK link

If you're wondering about the works: They're are on par with Elijah and Paulus... extraordinarily gratifying cantatas. Herreweghe picks some of the pieces he likes best and alongside Bernius' work, they are favorites. Nicol Matt on Brilliant is highly competitive, too.

Brahmsian

Hoping this is still the 'official' Felix Mendelssohn thread.

Figured from now on, anything I'm listening to I will just post into the applicable composer thread, instead of in the WAYLT thread.

Listening to Mendelssohn's string quartets and octet, which I haven't for quite some time.  Gorgeous music, and wonderful performances given by the Emersons.

[asin]B0006TN9G2[/asin]

Brahmsian

Continuing what was a 'mini-Mendelssohn' marathon, to an all-out binge!  :)

First, the complete string quartets and Octet for strings.

Now, onto:

*Symphonies
*Piano Trios
*Violin Concertos
*Cello Sonatas

It's been quite some time since I've gone on a Mendelssohn binge.  Enjoying it very much!  :)

Brahmsian

And now, listening to this excellent set!

Have been listening to a lot of Mendelssohn lately, more than usual.  :)

[asin]B000065TV6[/asin]

Fafner

Having listened to nothing but Mendelssohn for the past three days, I have now officially gone from 'generally indefferent' to 'rabid fan'.

I previously only knew him through the Violin Concerto, Midsummer Night's Dream, and Symphonies No. 3 & 4, but he is definitely an under-appreciated composer.  I can see myself sinking money in this. :)
"Remember Fafner? Remember he built Valhalla? A giant? Well, he's a dragon now. Don't ask me why. Anyway, he's dead."
   --- Anna Russell

Brahmsian

Listening to this magnificent set.  :) 

Mendelssohn

Symphony No. 3 in A minor, Op. 56 "Scottish"
Symphony No. 1 in C minor, Op. 11
Symphony No. 5 in D minor, Op. 107 "Reformation"

Ashkenazy
Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin

Decca

[asin]B000065TV6[/asin]

Brahmsian

Listening to this magnificent set, specifically my three favourite Mendelssohn symphonies.  :) 

Mendelssohn

Symphony No. 3 in A minor, Op. 56 "Scottish"
Symphony No. 1 in C minor, Op. 11
Symphony No. 5 in D minor, Op. 107 "Reformation"

Ashkenazy
Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin

Decca

[asin]B000065TV6[/asin]

Brahmsian

Some Sunday morning Mendelssohn!

String Quartet No. 2 in A minor, Op. 13
String Quartet No. 1 in E flat major, Op. 12

[asin]B0006TN9G2[/asin]

EigenUser

Quote from: ChamberNut on August 03, 2014, 05:37:34 AM
Some Sunday morning Mendelssohn!

String Quartet No. 2 in A minor, Op. 13
String Quartet No. 1 in E flat major, Op. 12

[asin]B0006TN9G2[/asin]
Have you heard their Octet? They split it into two string quartets and superimposed them. There is a bonus track with the two separate scherzos.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Brahmsian

Quote from: EigenUser on August 03, 2014, 06:06:04 AM
Have you heard their Octet? They split it into two string quartets and superimposed them. There is a bonus track with the two separate scherzos.

I have heard it indeed, and I have listened to the bonus material on that disc.  :)

Pat B

BUMP!

I just finished the Concerto Köln set of String Symphonies and two of the early concertos. After one listen I consider the Symphonies good for his age, but I like these concertos very much without any qualifications. Parts of the Violin and Piano Concerto remind me of Schubert's Fantasy D.934 which I heard first but was written several years later, though it seems unlikely that Schubert would have known this work.

[asin]B001UE283W[/asin]

Jo498

I don't know the violin/piano concerto but it's virtually impossible that Schubert could have known an unpublished piece by the teenager Mendelssohn. Apparently there is also an early violin concerto d minor (and of course two fairly early double concertos for two pianos)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Pat B

Quote from: Jo498 on February 04, 2016, 11:40:29 AM
I don't know the violin/piano concerto but it's virtually impossible that Schubert could have known an unpublished piece by the teenager Mendelssohn. Apparently there is also an early violin concerto d minor (and of course to fairly early double concertos for two pianos)

Yes, I think it's most likely a coincidence, even with Mendelssohn being a prodigy. He was still in Berlin in 1827 (when Schubert wrote the Fantasy). But I wanted to mention it.

Jaakko Keskinen

My favorite work from Mendelssohn has remained for years the same: Piano trio in D minor op. 49. Specifically the last movement. That melody is so penetrating. The final recall at the end of the piece sends shivers down my spine.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

jlaurson

Latest on Forbes.com:
Classical CD Of The Week: Mendelssohn String Quartets

Felix Mendelssohn-B., String Quartets Nos.2 & 3, Escher String Quartet, BIS

...If it weren't ultimately silly, I'd go so far and say that they are Mendelssohn's best. Well, certainly Mendelssohn at his best and also at his darkest...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jenslaurson/2016/03/16/classical-cd-of-the-week-mendelssohn-string-quartets/

Scion7

I like the quartets, but I wouldn't put them above his Violin Concerto in e, or the Concerto for Violin & Piano in d, just for starters.
That said, the first movement of Op.80 has always provided a high-energy Romantic rush.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."