Author Topic: Smetana  (Read 2989 times)

Offline wagnernn

Smetana
« on: October 09, 2007, 06:42:51 PM »
My friend asked me if the Smetana 's Trio in G minor was the greatest trio of all time.Do you think so?

Offline BachQ

• Veteran member
Re: Smetana
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 06:54:44 PM »
My friend asked me if the Smetana 's Trio in G minor was the greatest trio of all time.Do you think so?

Yes.  Your friend is correct. 

Offline val

• Veteran member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 02:24:31 AM »
No. It is a very nice work, but I think there are much better piano Trios: Beethoven opus 97, Schubert opus 100, Mendelssohn opus 49, Dvorak opus 65, Brahms opus 8 and 101, Fauré opus 120 and Ravel Trio in A minor.

Smetana himself composed chamber music that I think much more inspired, above all the remarkable and tragic first Quartet.

Offline wagnernn

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 06:10:26 PM »
In my opinion,just the last movement of this trio is  wonderful .And which trio of the Romantic era do you call "the greatest"?

Bonehelm

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 06:29:18 PM »
In my opinion,just the last movement of this trio is  wonderful .And which trio of the Romantic era do you call "the greatest"?

In art, nothing can be measured against one another. You can only ask, "What are some other trios in the Romantic era that are really great?".

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 09:15:13 PM »
In art, nothing can be measured against one another. You can only ask, "What are some other trios in the Romantic era that are really great?".
Problem is that with that logic you could also say; Smetana's trio isn't that great. Which lead us to all the trios that are greater than Smetana's, a goood list seems to have been proposed by Val, nailing a lot of my favorites.