Bruno Walter

Started by jwinter, December 07, 2007, 05:50:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Quote from: George on April 01, 2015, 10:13:06 PM
Hi Que!

Is your post referring to the 6CD United Archives set?

Wow, that is a blast from  the past! :o :D  But yes, it is the United Archives issue and I would still count it as one my favourite Beethoven cycles (toghether with Jochum/RCO, Kletzki, Immerseel).

[asin]B005HO1WG0[/asin]

Q

j winter

One last bump of the old thread, in anticipation of the upcoming box.  Anyone else planning to pick it up?  Does anyone have any favorite Walter recordings that they've been enjoying of late?

[asin]B07MWXGCWL[/asin]

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

j winter

Also in anticipation of the box, I recently ordered a used copy of this.  Has anyone read it?  I've also considered picking up his book on Mahler...

George

Quote from: j winter on October 25, 2019, 10:47:32 AM
One last bump of the old thread, in anticipation of the upcoming box.  Anyone else planning to pick it up?  Does anyone have any favorite Walter recordings that they've been enjoying of late?

[asin]B07MWXGCWL[/asin]

I have this set, which I feel more than covers my Walter needs. Don't get me wrong, I love the conductors work, but shelf space is at a premium and I am pretty much done re-buying stuff I already own.

I haven't listened to it in quite awhile, so thanks for the prompting. My faves are his LvB 6th and his Mozart symphony recordings.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Daverz

Love his Mozart and Brahms.  Getting this set will be contingent on what other people are saying about the transfers.  They've mucked them up in the past.

Biffo

I have all the Bruno Walter I need. I only listen to his Bruckner 7, Beethoven 4 & 6 and Die Walkure Act I. I have never been a fan of his Mahler, no matter how authentic/idiomatic/authoritative it is supposed to be.

André

Quote from: George on October 25, 2019, 01:21:11 PM

I have this set, which I feel more than covers my Walter needs. Don't get me wrong, I love the conductors work, but shelf space is at a premium and I am pretty much done re-buying stuff I already own.

I haven't listened to it in quite awhile, so thanks for the prompting. My faves are his LvB 6th and his Mozart symphony recordings.

That's the one I have. When I bought it it replaced 3 Sony white boxes (Mahler, Mozart, Brahms) and various odds and ends. I just felt I needed as much of his late conducting as possible. For my taste he epitomizes generosity of spirit and bigheartedness, qualities entirely different from those brought by Szell, Dorati, Toscanini, Solti, etc. who favour drive, incisiveness and faithfulness to the letter of the score. His music making is solar (warming) and brings a different perspective. Among works where he has not been excelled (IMO of course), I count Beethoven 6, Brahms 3 and Double concerto, as well as his Stereo Mahler 9. Very close to that level: his Mozart late symphonies, Bruckner 9, Dvorak 8 and 9, Schumann PC, Mahler 1 and 2, Brahms 4...

Moonfish

Quote from: j winter on October 25, 2019, 11:06:42 AM
Also in anticipation of the box, I recently ordered a used copy of this.  Has anyone read it?  I've also considered picking up his book on Mahler...

That looks quite interesting, J Winter!    8)
I can see you cuddled up with your book while binge listening to the Walter box!!
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

j winter

Quote from: Moonfish on October 26, 2019, 02:30:35 PM
That looks quite interesting, J Winter!    8)
I can see you cuddled up with your book while binge listening to the Walter box!!

That's the plan!  ;)

j winter

Considering this as a suppliment to the big box... the only thing I have from this is the famous 1938 Mahler 9, though in a different non-EMI mastering.  Has anyone heard this set?

j winter

Quote from: André on October 26, 2019, 07:39:07 AM
That's the one I have. When I bought it it replaced 3 Sony white boxes (Mahler, Mozart, Brahms) and various odds and ends. I just felt I needed as much of his late conducting as possible. For my taste he epitomizes generosity of spirit and bigheartedness, qualities entirely different from those brought by Szell, Dorati, Toscanini, Solti, etc. who favour drive, incisiveness and faithfulness to the letter of the score. His music making is solar (warming) and brings a different perspective. Among works where he has not been excelled (IMO of course), I count Beethoven 6, Brahms 3 and Double concerto, as well as his Stereo Mahler 9. Very close to that level: his Mozart late symphonies, Bruckner 9, Dvorak 8 and 9, Schumann PC, Mahler 1 and 2, Brahms 4...

Well said, I concur with pretty much all of that.  I did not pick up the last Walter set that you and George have, and am missing quite a lot of his earlier New York recordings, which is why the new box has much appeal.  I'm also interested because I do have the Szell Columbia recordings box, which looks to be in the same format as the new set -- that's an outstanding set, so if this one is of as high a quality, I'll be a happy boy :)

Mookalafalas

Quote from: j winter on October 25, 2019, 11:06:42 AM

I just stumbled on this thread and am, indeed reading this book right now. I'm about a quarter of the way into it.  The writing and research are solid, a bit better than average for this type of book, but that is the best I can say. The author refers to thousands of Walter letters, but he still never really brings the subject to life--he always stays at a respectful, academic distance.
It's all good...

Daverz

Quote from: Biffo on October 26, 2019, 02:55:24 AM
I have all the Bruno Walter I need. I only listen to his Bruckner 7, Beethoven 4 & 6 and Die Walkure Act I. I have never been a fan of his Mahler, no matter how authentic/idiomatic/authoritative it is supposed to be.

I've been listening to the new remasters via Qobuz, and I have to say that I really like Walter's Mahler 2nd.  I think Walter understands something about this work that some other conductors might be a bit embarrassed by or simply out of tune with, and that's a certain kind of religious sentiment that Walter and Mahler would have shared (but then how can this crusty old atheist recognize that, hmmmm.).

André

Quote from: Daverz on November 15, 2019, 04:13:38 AM
I've been listening to the new remasters via Qobuz, and I have to say that I really like Walter's Mahler 2nd.  I think Walter understands something about this work that some other conductors might be a bit embarrassed by or simply out of tune with, and that's a certain kind of religious sentiment that Walter and Mahler would have shared (but then how can this crusty old atheist recognize that, hmmmm.).

Good point.