Buxtehude organ works

Started by Shrunk, October 10, 2007, 05:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498

I have 3 separate discs (supposedly Volumes 1,3,5) of Buxtehude organ music with Jean Ablitzer. Was that series ever completed? Amazon does list 5 Vols. but most are unavaiblable (and all are expensive).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

premont

Quote from: Jo498 on January 17, 2016, 04:49:56 AM
I have 3 separate discs (supposedly Volumes 1,3,5) of Buxtehude organ music with Jean Ablitzer. Was that series ever completed? Amazon does list 5 Vols. but most are unavaiblable (and all are expensive).

Yes, it was completed, and the final (sixth) CD was, as far as I know, never released, but it can be acquired (downloaded) here:

http://harmonicclassics.com/album/H_CD_9036/
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Madiel

This shows volume 6, plus what appears to be a separate piece, plus something that looks like it's the complete set.

http://harmonicclassics.com/albums/ORGUE/
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

premont

Quote from: Gordo on January 17, 2016, 04:25:56 AM
About Buxtehude: it was just a mistake of mine. Seeing that utterly clean interpretation on YouTube, I thought it came from a commercial recording.

And it is indeed a clean interpretation, reminding me a bit of Walter Kraft, but less passionate and a bit dragging in the concluding fugue.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Jo498

thanks, I actually remember now that when I bought those discs maybe 5 years ago the series was going oop and someone pointed out to the download option for the last disc. Back then I was not so fond of organ music so 3 discs seemed sufficient for an overview. (I had the Spang-Hansen on my list forever without ever getting around to buy it, despite it usually being cheap...)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Wakefield

Quote from: (: premont :) on January 17, 2016, 05:18:19 AM
And it is indeed a clean interpretation, reminding me a bit of Walter Kraft, but less passionate and a bit dragging in the concluding fugue.

Yes, they share certain, I'd say, friendly asceticism, if this means something; very uplifting and more friendly in Stockmeier than in Kraft.
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Wakefield

Quote from: Jo498 on January 17, 2016, 05:29:01 AM
thanks, I actually remember now that when I bought those discs maybe 5 years ago the series was going oop and someone pointed out to the download option for the last disc.

I recall Que, a big Ablitzer's fan, avidly searching for the last volume of this series some years ago...
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

premont

Quote from: Gordo on January 17, 2016, 05:32:20 AM
Yes, they share certain, I'd say, friendly asceticism, if this means something; very uplifting and more friendly in Stockmeier than in Kraft.

Surely, but I find Kraft the more Buxtehude-idiomatic of the two.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Madiel

I'm mildly Buxtehude-curious now, simply because I stumbled across his church in Helsingør. They had CDs for sale at the church, not surprisingly, but I didn't purchase one at the time.

I was really there to visit Hamlet's castle...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Que

Quote from: orfeo on January 17, 2016, 05:12:23 AM

This shows volume 6, plus what appears to be a separate piece, plus something that looks like it's the complete set.

http://harmonicclassics.com/albums/ORGUE/

Quote from: Gordo on January 17, 2016, 05:37:48 AM
I recall Que, a big Ablitzer's fan, avidly searching for the last volume of this series some years ago...

I am definitely an Ablitzer fan, his Buxtehude is some of the best he did. Still my first choice, pity that it is not available as a set.
Volume 6, which completes the series, was recorded but never issued. I ordered my copy per email from the website premont mentioned as a CD-R with a colour printed booklet.

So have been a happy camper witb a complete Ablitzer cycle for many years now.  :)

Has Koopman any fans, I wonder? ::)

Q

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on January 17, 2016, 07:08:39 AM

Has Koopman any fans, I wonder? ::)

Q

Yes for the two volumes of harpsichord music, esp v2. Playful and flashy, twinkle in the eye. If you like Koopman's  Sweelink you'll appreciate his harpsichord Buxtehude.

And there's one of the organ volumes which collects together earlier pieces by Bux, before he was 50.  The organ is fabulous, and the style seemed just right, straightforward and virtuosic. Maybe not the greatest music (though the famous Passacaglia is in there.)
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on January 17, 2016, 08:53:01 AM
Yes for the two volumes of harpsichord music, esp v2. Playful and flashy, twinkle in the eye. If you like Koopman's  Sweelink you'll appreciate his harpsichord Buxtehude.

Koopman does considerably more for me in the harpsichord works than in the organ works. Could it be because the competition is less strong?

Quote from: Mandryka
And there's one of the organ volumes which collects together earlier pieces by Bux, before he was 50.  The organ is fabulous, and the style seemed just right, straightforward and virtuosic. Maybe not the greatest music (though the famous Passacaglia is in there.)

Vol.2 ? Or do you think of the single Novalis recording on the Norden organ?

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Mandryka

[

[/quote]

Quote from: (: premont :) on January 17, 2016, 09:35:03 AM
Koopman does considerably more for me in the harpsichord works than in the organ works. Could it be because the competition is less strong?

I think that if I had to choose between Alessandrini and Koopman, I'd probably choose Alessandrini, just because I like expressive rapt music making.

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on January 17, 2016, 12:05:10 PM
I think that if I had to choose between Alessandrini and Koopman, I'd probably choose Alessandrini, just because I like expressive rapt music making.

I too, and I would also generally choose Stella before Koopman.

My statement that Koopman does more for me in the harpsichord works, was ment to reflex how little he does for me in the organ works, except maybe in vol. 2, which I do not recall separately now. Well, a relisten is needed.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: orfeo on January 17, 2016, 06:13:51 AM
I'm mildly Buxtehude-curious now, simply because I stumbled across his church in Helsingør. They had CDs for sale at the church, not surprisingly, but I didn't purchase one at the time.

I was really there to visit Hamlet's castle...

The organ of Mariakirken, Helsingør has been used for several recordings, first and foremost for music by Buxtehude of course.

This thread contains many recommendations concerning his organ music. My suggestions for a relative newcomer to Buxtehude are Ulrik Spang-Hanssen's set of 6 CDs. They can be had very cheap.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

kishnevi

Quote from: (: premont :) on January 17, 2016, 01:59:37 PM
The organ of Mariakirken, Helsingør has been used for several recordings, first and foremost for music by Buxtehude of course.

This thread contains many recommendations concerning his organ music. My suggestions for a relative newcomer to Buxtehude are Ulrik Spang-Hanssen's set of 6 CDs. They can be had very cheap.

Yes, thanks, that is who I will probably get.
But I intend to let the current pile of unheard CDs diminish a bit more.

Karl Henning

I have the Spang-Hanssen, and can vouch for it, as well.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Richard

Quote from: (: premont :) on January 16, 2016, 12:40:40 PM
She is reliable, solid but not stodgy, a bit safe in the approach. Interesting organs. Recorded sound very good.

Quote from: Sammy on January 16, 2016, 07:57:27 PM
I'll just add that Bryndorf's performances are quite majestic and celebratory; those who prefer a solemn approach to the chorales are advised to look elsewhere.

Thanks for all the feedback. I found the box in store for a pretty remarkable price. I'm currently listening to Disc 1.

"Solid" and "Majestic" are, I think, good descriptions.

[asin]B017UBR61W[/asin]
"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." — Berthold Auerbach

premont

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on January 17, 2016, 02:11:41 PM
But I intend to let the current pile of unheard CDs diminish a bit more.

Wise decision.

I wish I possessed your degree of self-control.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν