Buxtehude organ works

Started by Shrunk, October 10, 2007, 05:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

I got this rather disappointing message from Lena Jaconsen today:

QuoteHello

Many thanks for your message.  I'd have been pleased to upload my paper on rhetoric in Buxtehude but unfortunately I can't locate the relevant  analogue Organ Yearbook volume in my own library.  However, Oxford University Press may offer you a possibility of downloading a PDF version of the paper. I'm sorry that I can't be of any more assistance here but I'm sure there must be a digital downloadable version lying around somewhere.  Many thanks for your interest in my work.

Best regards, Lena

As far as I know you can't get it from OUP and there is no downloadable version elsewhere.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

SurprisedByBeauty

MickeyBoy

Mr Reilly,

Considering the most recent posts about tuning, could you tell us if the Buxtehude piece was played on an instrument with some variety of mean-tone tuning?

By the by, just got a copy of the 2nd ed of your book.
...the sound of a low whisper

XB-70 Valkyrie

I am currently listening to the Harald Vogel set. I'm only on CD2 of 7 so far, but am greatly enjoying the music, most of which is new to me. Favorite so far: Passacaglia in D (BuxWV 161), which to my ear sounds surprisingly modern--possibly even romantic in a sense.

Have any of you read Kerala Snyder's new(ish) biography of Buxtehude?
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: MickeyBoy on December 30, 2016, 04:10:43 PM
Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on November 17, 2016, 04:10:34 PM
Classical CD Of The Week: Super-Added Goldberg Variations

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jenslaurson/2016/11/16/classical-cd-of-the-week-super-added-goldberg-variations/#def2993547e1

Whoo!! The Buxtehude is the real deal, here, almost... that's how good it is.

Mr Reilly,

Considering the most recent posts about tuning, could you tell us if the Buxtehude piece was played on an instrument with some variety of mean-tone tuning?

By the by, just got a copy of the 2nd ed of your book.

Hey Mickey,

first of all: excellent, flattering news about you having gotten a copy of SBB-II. I hope you'll enjoy the journey of discovery. Also: Behind this account isn't Mr. Reilly but just the contributing author.
To your Buxtehude Question: the tuning that C.Schornsheim uses for the Capricciosa is Mitteltönig. (The temperement in the Bach is in Kirnberger III.)

All the best,

Jens

Jo498

To get a cheap complete recording (I already have a few single discs with Ablitzer, Vogel, Oster...) would you guys recommend Stella or Spang-Hanssen?
And what about Stella's harpsichord set? (Far less options for these pieces than for the organ, it seems.)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mandryka

Quote from: Jo498 on January 18, 2017, 10:30:20 AM
To get a cheap complete recording (I already have a few single discs with Ablitzer, Vogel, Oster...) would you guys recommend Stella or Spang-Hanssen?
And what about Stella's harpsichord set? (Far less options for these pieces than for the organ, it seems.)

My own view is that there's a lot of pleasure to be had from Wilson and Alessandrini and Mortensen in the harpsichord music, and from Koopman and Stella too. Particularly from Wilson. But you can't go too wrong.

premont

Quote from: Jo498 on January 18, 2017, 10:30:20 AM

Spang-Hanssen for the organ works. Stella for the harpsichord works, if you want a complete set.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: (: premont :) on January 18, 2017, 11:13:08 AM
Spang-Hanssen for the organ works. Stella for the harpsichord works, if you want a complete set.

Agree 100% with Spang-Hanssen on organ, as a cheap set - his Chaconne in c minor was what made me start loving Buxtehude and organ music in general.

Vogel (I don't have the complete set) is more interesting for the selection of organs than his playing, which is convincing, but won't blow me away.

Koopman is of course polarizing with his trademark high tempos, but great fun to listen to (although the sound of the 18th-century Stade organ in the last organ disc sticks out like a sore thumb among those of the other 17th century organs).

Foccroulle is very nice to listen to, but don't have performances that stand out for me.

Ablitzer is avaliable nowhere but on iTunes, and while the selection of organs is interesting, the playing isn't (at least judging from the few samples - a great shame, because I love his Praetorius CD).

But for harpsichord, I would pick Koopman over Stella, who impresses me more with his immense productivity than his playing. But I think Buxtehude's harpsichord music is just crying out for a sympathetic performer, as even Koopman has his shortcomings.

Some really nice "singles" are Alessandrini on harpsichord, Koito's anthology, and Piet Kee's 3 recordings!

Mandryka

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on November 17, 2016, 04:10:34 PM
Classical CD Of The Week: Super-Added Goldberg Variations

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jenslaurson/2016/11/16/classical-cd-of-the-week-super-added-goldberg-variations/#def2993547e1

Whoo!! The Buxtehude is the real deal, here, almost... that's how good it is.

I enjoyed hearing her La Capricciosa too: cheerful and light and colourful and straight ahead.  I like Wilson and Mortensen too.

Mandryka

Here's a toccata played on clavichord by Dick Verwolf

https://www.youtube.com/v/zkxNL1W9Od0

Someone on youtube there makes this comment

Quotehmm... This interpretation sounds as if one used the pure Romantic phrase, as described by Hugo Riemann and other 19th century German theoreticians.
All these rubati are very beautiful but they remind me of the early 20th century reception of the works by Buxtehude (Straube and others).

;)

Does the phrasing really damage the structure of the music? I don't hear that.

Mr. Minnow

Does anyone know if there are any differences between this:

and this:

I was wondering if one edition has better sound quality than the other, or if the contents are identical. 

premont

Quote from: Mr. Minnow on December 13, 2017, 04:31:16 PM
Does anyone know if there are any differences between this:

and this:

I was wondering if one edition has better sound quality than the other, or if the contents are identical.

These are both Membran releases, so I would expect them to be similar. I own one of them (the upper one) and can say, that the sound is surprisingly better on this Membran release than on the original Danish releases (Paula  and Danish Classico). I can also say, that the Membran release is legally licensed from Danish Classico. The recordings have also been released on NCA, which is a sub-label for Membran.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on March 31, 2017, 11:20:45 AM
https://www.youtube.com/v/zkxNL1W9Od0

Does the phrasing really damage the structure of the music? I don't hear that.

The dynamic shadings remind me more of Romantic practice than the phrasing.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mr. Minnow

Quote from: (: premont :) on December 13, 2017, 08:10:26 PM
These are both Membran releases, so I would expect them to be similar. I own one of them (the upper one) and can say, that the sound is surprisingly better on this Membran release than on the original Danish releases (Paula  and Danish Classico). I can also say, that the Membran release is legally licensed from Danish Classico. The recordings have also been released on NCA, which is a sub-label for Membran.

Thanks for that. The lower one was apparently released in 2014, so I assume it's a straight reissue of the upper one, which was released in 2011. Does your copy of the upper one include a booklet? Amazon reviews of the lower one say it doesn't have one. 

Mandryka

I listened to a tremendous thing by Bux this week, BuxWV 207, a choral fantasy, in this CD by Winsemius which I  am enjoying a lot.

premont

Quote from: Mr. Minnow on December 14, 2017, 03:04:08 AM
Thanks for that. The lower one was apparently released in 2014, so I assume it's a straight reissue of the upper one, which was released in 2011. Does your copy of the upper one include a booklet? Amazon reviews of the lower one say it doesn't have one.

There is no booklet in the Membran release. But booklets were included in the Paula release and the Danish Classico release, which I also own.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on December 14, 2017, 03:25:53 AM
I listened to a tremendous thing by Bux this week, BuxWV 207, a choral fantasy, in this CD by Winsemius which I  am enjoying a lot.

Yes, a nice recording, not the least because of the magnificent organ in Nieuwe Kerk, Amsterdam. And
including Weckmann's Magnificat.

BTW BuxWV is not a choral phantasy but a sequence of four choral preludes.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mr. Minnow

Quote from: (: premont :) on December 14, 2017, 04:55:48 AM
There is no booklet in the Membran release. But booklets were included in the Paula release and the Danish Classico release, which I also own.

Thanks. It would seem both versions of the Membran release are the same, as they have the same numbers on the back covers - "order no. 224050, PC: 383, LC12281". Since neither has a booklet and the contents are presumably sonically identical I'll get whichever is cheaper.

Edit: not the same numbers according to some sites. I'd still assume they are sonically the same though.

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on December 14, 2017, 05:11:18 AM
Yes, a nice recording, not the least because of the magnificent organ in Nieuwe Kerk, Amsterdam. And
including Weckmann's Magnificat.

BTW BuxWV is not a choral phantasy but a sequence of four choral preludes.

Winsemius's way of making one phrase link into the next is special, when I hear him play I imagine someone with very supple joints in his limbs, someone relaxed and happy to be making music. I like what he does when he plays fast and when he plays slow.