Buxtehude organ works

Started by Shrunk, October 10, 2007, 05:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquin des Prez

Quote from: fl.traverso on January 13, 2008, 12:27:20 PM
After the extremely architetonic Walcha I actually prefer Bach organ music that doesn't sound "quite settled" - Bach wrote most of his organ music in his youth years, so it can't be all settled in perfection and maturity - and imo the stylus phantasticus can be interpreted as something uneven, the more so the better.  ;) 

I think that's a silly line of reasoning. It's irrelevant whether the bulk of his organ music consists of youthful works (which is a gross exaggeration to begin with). His reputation lies in his mature pieces, by which point he had already moved beyond the "stylus phantasticus". Trying to pigeonhole his entire opus to some stylistic fashion which was already going out of style by the time Bach came around seems like a disservice to his legacy.

jlaurson

Quote from: traverso on October 12, 2007, 10:27:51 PM
Exactly the Art of Fugue were the two disappointing discs I got before quitting altogether on him and Naxos. BTW Rubsam now lives both in Germany and in Indiana US, where he works sometimes as a barber;D

Apparently he only gives one kind of cut. :-)

Marc

Right now I'm listening to the Praeludium in d-moll, BuxWV 140, played by Sietze de Vries. De Vries is an organist who can play almost anything: from pre-baroque until modern. But he's most known for his improvisations (mainly on psalms and hymns). On this disc, among other pieces by his own, he's playing the liturgical works Wie schön leuchtet der Morgenstern and Te Deum laudamus, resp. BuxWV 223 & 218. The verses are alternated with choral singing by a girl's choir (youth ensemble Focaliber).

Hush. They just start to sing.

OMG, it's pure heaven on this Sunday!

Coopmv

Quote from: jlaurson on December 24, 2008, 03:44:12 AM
Apparently he only gives one kind of cut. :-)

You mean a crew cut ...   ;D

Coopmv

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on January 13, 2008, 01:56:02 PM
Trying to pigeonhole his entire opus to some stylistic fashion which was already going out of style by the time Bach came around seems like a disservice to his legacy.

Good point.  William Boyce, an English baroque composer, was often criticized for composing music that was out of style since he lived till 1779, some twenty years after Handel's death, the year many have considered to be the end of the baroque era.  I personally find many of Boyce's works quite delightful.   

premont

Quote from: traverso on January 13, 2008, 12:49:03 PM
"This side"?  Anyway, why should seventeenth-century baroque music sound 'rough'?  It should sound fluid, ever changing and a bit skewed where a taste for "fantasie" requires it.

Agreed, and I think Que owes us to elaborate a little more upon the word "rough". Maybe it is just me, but I do not quite understand the word in this context.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Coopmv

Whatever happened to the label Bellaphon?  I started collecting the Buxtehude's organ works on Bellaphon by Rubsam in the late 80's to early 90's (I have a few of these CD's) then all of a sudden the label disappeared ...

71 dB

Quote from: Coopmv on May 10, 2009, 06:10:57 AM
Whatever happened to the label Bellaphon?  I started collecting the Buxtehude's organ works on Bellaphon by Rubsam in the late 80's to early 90's (I have a few of these CD's) then all of a sudden the label disappeared ...

The label has probably gone out of business ages ago. This is the first time I hear about this label.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Coopmv

Quote from: 71 dB on May 10, 2009, 06:18:51 AM
The label has probably gone out of business ages ago. This is the first time I hear about this label.

I think Bellaphone might be related to Supraphon and Hungaroton.   

71 dB

Quote from: Coopmv on May 10, 2009, 06:33:19 AM

Perhaps, but Supraphon and Hungaroton are "obscure" to me too. I have one Supraphon CD and that's it.  :P
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

premont

Quote from: Coopmv on May 10, 2009, 06:33:19 AM

I think it was related to Bayer Records. The Buxtehude/Rübsam set from the 1980es was also released on LP by Philips and was still available on Bellaphon CD´s at JPC about five years ago. I found out too late, and did not manage to purchase other than two volumes. Though, if the two volumes I own are representative for the set, I do not regret seriously that I did not get the rest. If you want to know more about this, you may email Rübsam on his website (Wolfs barbershop).
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

FideLeo

Quote from: premont on May 10, 2009, 04:55:40 AM
Agreed, and I think Que owes us to elaborate a little more upon the word "rough". Maybe it is just me, but I do not quite understand the word in this context.

Perhaps he meant "rough" = "impassioned."  That would more closely connect "stylus phantasticus" to, for example, Monteverdi's stile concitato.  But still I think the "stylised" aspect of this term should would have been the focus rather than the emotional one.
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Que

I've been raving about Jean-Charles Ablitzer's Buxtehude series on many occassions before. Finest Buxtehude complete cycle that I know - though I haven't engaged in Koopman's new cycle (yet).  :)

For anyone interested: jpc is offering these as a bargain for 6 euros! And if it tastes like more: it is a complete series though volume 6 was never issued because Harmonic Records went out of business. Now it has been resurrected but is dormant, yet any previous issue can be ordered at Harmonic Classics as a CD-R issue with a colour copied booklet, including that "missing" volume 6. Same concept as Arkiv offers - sounds and looks fine to me.

Samples and downloads available HERE!

(Pictures are linked to jpc)

Q

Marc

Quote from: Que on December 09, 2009, 11:22:30 PM
I've been raving about Jean-Charles Ablitzer's Buxtehude series on many occassions before. Finest Buxtehude complete cycle that I know - though I haven't engaged in Koopman's new cycle (yet).  :)

For anyone interested: jpc is offering these as a bargain for 6 euros! And if it tastes like more: it is a complete series though volume 6 was never issued because Harmonic Records went out of business. Now it has been resurrected but is dormant, yet any previous issue can be ordered at Harmonic Classics as a CD-R issue with a colour copied booklet, including that "missing" volume 6. Same concept as Arkiv offers - sounds and looks fine to me.

Que, on behalf of all the organ lovers (he wrote self-confident) thanks for the research and the information!

Coopmv

I have had this set for some times ...

premont

Quote from: Coopmv on December 11, 2009, 06:58:44 PM
I have had this set for some times ...

One of the best in ny opinion.

Available for 8 Euros from JPC in a Membran/Doc release which has got even better SQ than the original Danish release.

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Dieterich-Buxtehude-Orgelwerke-Documents-Wallet-Box/hnum/5573281
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Coopmv

Quote from: premont on December 11, 2009, 11:45:05 PM
One of the best in ny opinion.

Available for 8 Euros from JPC in a Membran/Doc release which has got even better SQ than the original Danish release.

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Dieterich-Buxtehude-Orgelwerke-Documents-Wallet-Box/hnum/5573281

Some people on this forum have fingered Document as a pirate label?  But I seriously doubt that charge.  What are your thoughts, premont?  I do have a number of sets by Document and think their SQ has been excellent.

premont

Quote from: Coopmv on December 12, 2009, 05:55:35 AM
Some people on this forum have fingered Document as a pirate label?  But I seriously doubt that charge.  What are your thoughts, premont?  I do have a number of sets by Document and think their SQ has been excellent.

The Buxtehude set is licenced from the Danish producer, so no piracy there.

As to other sets (f.i.) the Bach / Walcha mono set, comparative listening makes me think, that they used the LP releases as source, so no piracy there either.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Coopmv

Quote from: premont on December 12, 2009, 08:07:45 AM
The Buxtehude set is licenced from the Danish producer, so no piracy there.

As to other sets (f.i.) the Bach / Walcha mono set, comparative listening makes me think, that they used the LP releases as source, so no piracy there either.

I bought all my Document sets from reputable e-tailers, not fly-by-night types and seriously doubt they want their reputations tarnished by offering up pirated music ...

premont

Quote from: Coopmv on December 12, 2009, 08:11:15 AM
....and seriously doubt they want their reputations tarnished by offering up pirated music ...

I wish, it was that well.

Amazon.co.uk lists (e.g.) releases from a notorious pirat label: Concerto Royale

Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Dclassical&field-keywords=concerto+royale&x=14&y=22
γνῶθι σεαυτόν