Buxtehude organ works

Started by Shrunk, October 10, 2007, 05:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prémont

Quote from: masolino on October 12, 2007, 10:27:51 PM
Exactly the Art of Fugue were the two disappointing discs I got before quitting altogether on him and Naxos. BTW Rubsam now lives both in Germany and in Indiana US, where he works sometimes as a barber;D

I think it is hasty to reject Rübsams Naxos set on the basis of the AoF, especially as this part of it is the least successful. You might try his Triosonates or Clavierübung III to get a better idea of the set. His two cycles are as different as day and night. I prefer the extrovert brilliant Philips cycle even if the Metzler organ he chosed for it is rather pale. But the slow reflective Naxos cycle has got its points too, and the two cycles complement each other in a most thought-provoking way.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Harry

Exactly!
The Naxos recordings are beautifully recorded, with a nice and fitting instrument, there is nothing wrong with what I hear.
Bought them anyway, despite that I had the Vogel's already. I love his slow paced attitude, and his careful handling of all the tiny details. A good and cheap alternative to the more expensive sets.

FideLeo

Quote from: premont on October 13, 2007, 04:47:13 AM
I think it is hasty to reject Rübsams Naxos set on the basis of the AoF, especially as this part of it is the least successful. You might try his Triosonates or Clavierübung III to get a better idea of the set. His two cycles are as different as day and night. I prefer the extrovert brilliant Philips cycle even if the Metzler organ he chosed for it is rather pale. But the slow reflective Naxos cycle has got its points too, and the two cycles complement each other in a most thought-provoking way.

Well those who like uniformly slow Bach are more than welcomed to it but for that I already have Walcha.   ;D
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

FideLeo

Quote from: Harry on October 13, 2007, 04:54:11 AM
Exactly!
The Naxos recordings are beautifully recorded, with a nice and fitting instrument, there is nothing wrong with what I hear.
Bought them anyway, despite that I had the Vogel's already. I love his slow paced attitude, and his careful handling of all the tiny details. A good and cheap alternative to the more expensive sets.

Quite frankly the Vogel set can be had for about the same as the whole Naxos lot if one has to buy them individually.  Vogel's extensive notes about the music, instruments used, registration charts and tuning systems etc. those of course one doesn't get with the Naxos. 
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Harry

Also true, I forgot the MDG box is in budgetprice now. :)

71 dB

Why does some people have so much need to belittle Naxos recordings? That label is not a crappy budget-label. It has become the most important label over the years with many releases with rave reviews. Frankly, I am so happy with my Buxtehude discs the Vogel box must be "out-of this-world" good if it renders Naxos obsolete!  :o

Walcha? I bet those old noisy recordings don't have even stereo sound!  :P
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

FideLeo

Quote from: Harry on October 13, 2007, 06:12:01 AM
Also true, I forgot the MDG box is in budgetprice now. :)

That MdG doesn't skimp on packaging or the original booklet notes in a budget-priced set is something to be grateful for I think.  They know Vogel's integral Buxtehude is a masterpiece so they treat it accordingly.

Harry

Quote from: 71 dB on October 13, 2007, 06:15:39 AM
Why does some people have so much need to belittle Naxos recordings? That label is not a crappy budget-label. It has become the most important label over the years with many releases with rave reviews. Frankly, I am so happy with my Buxtehude discs the Vogel box must be "out-of this-world" good if it renders Naxos obsolete!  :o

Poju, listen my friend, I am glad you like your Naxos recordings, and no one in his right mind will belittle Naxos as a label
And secondly, yes the Naxos recording is no match for Vogel, on all counts.
It is out of this world indeed. :)

FideLeo

There are two Walcha Bach sets so which one are you talking about?   ;)

Don

Why does some people have so much need to belittle Naxos recordings? That label is not a crappy budget-label.

You seem to have the same attitude about Naxos that you do concerning Elgar. 

Although I feel that Naxos is an excellent label, that doesn't mean that I feel the need to praise every Naxos offering.  The same applies to other fine labels I acquire such as Chandos and Hyperion.

71 dB

Quote from: Don on October 13, 2007, 06:34:46 AM
Although I feel that Naxos is an excellent label, that doesn't mean that I feel the need to praise every Naxos offering.  The same applies to other fine labels I acquire such as Chandos and Hyperion.

Yes, Naxos has weak releases (usually the older) too but those Buxtehude discs are good. Some Naxos disc receive "not so good" reviews like 6/7 in CT but Buxtehude is 10/10 meaning enjoyable discs even is Vogel is even better.

You guys are just trying to make me feel bad I don't have Vogel.  :P

71 dB

Quote from: masolino on October 13, 2007, 06:20:24 AM
There are two Walcha Bach sets so which one are you talking about?   ;)

Which one? Both!

FideLeo

Don

Quote from: 71 dB on October 13, 2007, 06:44:51 AM
Yes, Naxos has weak releases (usually the older) too but those Buxtehude discs are good. Some Naxos disc receive "not so good" reviews like 6/7 in CT but Buxtehude is 10/10 meaning enjoyable discs even is Vogel is even better.

You guys are just trying to make me feel bad I don't have Vogel.  :P

You know, there are review sources of merit beyond the exaggerated ratings of CT.  A 10/10 from CT doesn't automatically mean anything.

prémont

Quote from: masolino on October 13, 2007, 05:49:49 AM
Well those who like uniformly slow Bach are more than welcomed to it but for that I already have Walcha.   ;D

The stereo cycle I suppose, even if I haven´t compared the timings. But still very fast compared to Rübsam II.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

FideLeo

Quote from: premont on October 13, 2007, 10:03:18 AM
The stereo cycle I suppose, even if I haven´t compared the timings. But still very fast compared to Rübsam II.

I actually have the mono set (10 CDs), but of course you are right - Walcha's tempi really seem just moderate compared to the gasp! s-l-o-w Rübsam II.  I sampled a Naxos Pachelbel recording from Rübsam as well, which surprisingly isn't as extreme.

prémont

Quote from: masolino on October 13, 2007, 01:48:25 PM
I actually have the mono set (10 CDs), but of course you are right - Walcha's tempi really seem just moderate compared to the gasp! s-l-o-w Rübsam II.  I sampled a Naxos Pachelbel recording from Rübsam as well, which surprisingly isn't as extreme.

Walchas stereo cycle is (concerning the recordings made in Alkmaar) generally somewhat slower than his mono cycle, but even then faster than Rübsam II.

As to Rübsams Pachelbel recording (Vol I - released a long time ago, Vol II has never seen the light of the day) I think the stylus phantasticus agogics, which he applies to Pachelbel, allows for some new-thinking, making the music very dramatic, instead of the regular perfect flow we are used to in this repertoire (especially Pachelbel), and which makes the music almost "harmless".
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

71 dB

Oh, Walcha has a stereo set. It's old anyway.

Quote from: masolino on October 13, 2007, 01:48:25 PM
I sampled a Naxos Pachelbel recording from Rübsam as well, which surprisingly isn't as extreme.

I have that disc. Otherwise good but Pachelbel is no match to such masters as Weckmann, Buxtehude and Bruhns.

FideLeo

Quote from: 71 dB on October 14, 2007, 01:40:52 AM
Oh, Walcha has a stereo set. It's old anyway.

It's all old music played on old instruments! ;D

71 dB

Quote from: masolino on October 14, 2007, 02:59:45 AM
It's all old music played on old instruments! ;D

Yes, but that's not a problem. Crappy sound is.