Christopher Rouse

Started by Archaic Torso of Apollo, April 18, 2007, 10:18:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

Quote from: Brian on November 23, 2014, 07:26:07 PM
Here is BIS CEO Robert von Bahr talking about the Flute Concerto:

"OK, time for a personal confession. When I was laid up on the cut-up table for an operation for pancreatic cancer (which, after the very extensive operation, it was ascertained that I didn't have in the first place...) I had negotiated with the doctors' team that I was allowed to listen to something when they put me under - against regulations - this because the operation itself was quite risky and I was stubborn. So I chose the Christopher Rouse Flute Concerto, played by my wife, Sharon Bezaly, the Royal Stockholm PO under Alan Gilbert as the piece I wanted to be the last thing I heard, should I not wake up. In a similar situation I would still choose that piece, a requiem over a small British boy that was tortured to death by two other small boys - a horrible thing. The music is simply fantastic and something I would urge anyone to really listen to, but with closed eyes and mobiles turned off. Music at its very best."

well, that's what I call Advocacy!! haha--- have not heard the FC yet,,,... must.... not... go... to .... doctor....

Mirror Image

Someone wrote here (I believe it was Colin) and said that Rouse was, basically, 'all over the stylistic map'. I don't really view this as something that's a criticism in the way Colin (or whoever said it) seemed to express. I look at it as he's got more in composer's 'toolbox' and isn't afraid to take inspiration from many different sources. It doesn't really matter what direction Rouse goes in because the end result always sounds like 'Rouse music' for lack of a better phrase. I will say I haven't enjoyed everything I've heard and I believe I even criticized him myself on this very thread, but since hearing this new Alan Gilbert/New York Philharmonic recording, I've been getting back into his music slowly.

lescamil

I consider myself a Rouse fan, admiring quite a few of his works and thinking him a rather consistent composer (not really a toolbox composer), but I have never liked the flute concerto. I think this is the one work that epitomizes many of the snide criticisms that are thrown at Rouse, namely that it is saccharine, superficial, and musically incoherent to my ears. I might just be missing the boat here, since it is possibly his most frequently performed piece outside of Rapture, a work I have just recently come around to. Perhaps the flute concerto will get its time with me soon, but not now.
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

Mirror Image

Quote from: lescamil on May 25, 2016, 01:05:50 AM
I consider myself a Rouse fan, admiring quite a few of his works and thinking him a rather consistent composer (not really a toolbox composer), but I have never liked the flute concerto. I think this is the one work that epitomizes many of the snide criticisms that are thrown at Rouse, namely that it is saccharine, superficial, and musically incoherent to my ears. I might just be missing the boat here, since it is possibly his most frequently performed piece outside of Rapture, a work I have just recently come around to. Perhaps the flute concerto will get its time with me soon, but not now.

Personally, I love the Flute Concerto, but can't get onboard with the Clarinet Concerto. Haven't heard his Violin Concerto or Cello Concerto in ages. Need to remedy this rather soon. The Trombone Concerto is wicked fun as well.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Disc of Last Week

This was de facto "Disc of the Week" for a few people here last week. Just had my first listen.

We have 2 symphonies and 2 tone poems (or whatever they're called nowadays). The 3rd Symphony (my first experience of which to be found upthread) is a "re-composition" of Prokofiev's 2nd Symphony - which in turn was apparently based on LvB Op. 111. It's an exciting and very busy piece, and its range of expression is very broad. Amidst all the noise, a very string-heavy variation stands out at one point: think of the Tallis Fantasia, or even Pettersson's "lyrical islands." One listen doesn't tell me how well the whole thing stands up structurally, but I look forward to coming back to this.

Ditto with the 4th Symphony, also in 2 movements. This one seems to mirror the structure of Lutoslawski's 2nd ("hesitant - direct"), but in this case it's more like "happy - morose." On first listen, this symphony is even more interesting than #3. The emotional contrast of the movements is weird and compelling.

Otherwise, Prospero's Rooms is a fun/scary piece which would fit nicely on any symphonic Halloween program, assuming such existed. Odna Zhizn is rather cluttered, and is apparently based on some gimmickry involving names; I'll keep trying with this one.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Mirror Image

Glad you enjoyed this new recording. It certainly made a great impression on me and also helped reintroduce the composer to me.

Rons_talking

I've been listening to Rouse's work on Spotify this morning (in light of this thread) and have felt compelled to comment.
1. He seems to be a master of his craft. The first two Symphonies are very well wrought and exciting. So is the Trombone Concerto as well as the VC.
2. Here's the "but" part: Rouse's music seems to have almost no sense of intraspection and pathos. It's as if he wakes up, sees his latest comission and without delay, begins composing in whatever style suites the requirement. I don't feel there's anything being expressed but his love of theatrical exposition. He does this very well and has composed some good music but (for me) there is little heart beneath the notes. That said, I find the music attractive and will listen to more (maybe)of his work.
3. He doesn't seem to like the letter p at all.
I apologize to his followers up above...not my cup of tea.

Mirror Image

No need to apologize Rons_talking. You like what you like, but if I may offer a rebuttal. There are several works from Rouse that don't do anything for me and I felt they're just one orchestral explosion after another with no rhyme or reason and, as you mentioned, heart, but there are several works that do, IMHO, offer the listener more than an onslaught of percussion and do give way to a composer who's deeply expressing a concern of his and one that really touched me recently was his "Flute Concerto". Interesting you like the Symphonies 1 & 2 as I don't like these works at all and they just sound 'empty' for lack of a better word. It seems his Symphonies 3 & 4 finally get something right and I've enjoyed both of these works immensely.

relm1

I agree that he is a very fine composer (but known to be extremely loud when heard live in concert).  I highly recommend the new disc of Symphony No. 3 and 4, Odnz Shizn, and Prospero's Room.  A very full and exciting disc of new music showcasing his tenure with NY Phil/Alan Gilbert.  Also highly recommended is his Oboe Concerto which is on Spotify but I don't think is available on disc (it is part of the New York Philharmonic broadcasts). 

I was at the premiere of his Requiem and sat just five feet behind the chorus and percussion...a very unfortunate place to be since their were so many fffff percussion smashes.

Ken B

Quoteseems to have almost no sense of intraspection and pathos. It's as if he wakes up... and without delay, begins ... in whatever style suites the requirement. I don't feel there's anything being expressed but his love of theatrical exposition. He does this very well [but] there is little heart .... He doesn't seem to like the letter p at all.

So he's Donald Trump.

Brian

Christopher Rouse has died aged 70.  :(

One of my favorite composers of recent years.

SymphonicAddict

Too bad news, me too! His legacy will never be die! The last work I listened from him was his 5th Symphony in a broadcast recording. An extraordinary piece. Excellent Rouse stuff.

Brian

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on September 21, 2019, 06:13:35 PM
Too bad news, me too! His legacy will never be die! The last work I listened from him was his 5th Symphony in a broadcast recording. An extraordinary piece. Excellent Rouse stuff.
I saw the premiere of that symphony in Dallas. It's tremendous. The New York Philharmonic recording is also extraordinary, as is his flute concerto, which is best summed up by this:

Quote from: Brian on November 23, 2014, 07:26:07 PM
Here is BIS CEO Robert von Bahr talking about the Flute Concerto:

"OK, time for a personal confession. When I was laid up on the cut-up table for an operation for pancreatic cancer (which, after the very extensive operation, it was ascertained that I didn't have in the first place...) I had negotiated with the doctors' team that I was allowed to listen to something when they put me under - against regulations - this because the operation itself was quite risky and I was stubborn. So I chose the Christopher Rouse Flute Concerto, played by my wife, Sharon Bezaly, the Royal Stockholm PO under Alan Gilbert as the piece I wanted to be the last thing I heard, should I not wake up. In a similar situation I would still choose that piece, a requiem over a small British boy that was tortured to death by two other small boys - a horrible thing. The music is simply fantastic and something I would urge anyone to really listen to, but with closed eyes and mobiles turned off. Music at its very best."

schnittkease

RIP. Nothing profound to add, just that 70 is a bit too young.

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Maestro267

Terrible news to receive. It's a real shame I didn't get any of his works in my collection while he was still here.

I don't know if it will happen now, but Boosey & Hawkes' website says his Symphony No. 6 is due to be premiered in around 4 weeks' time.

Kontrapunctus

I was so sad to hear about his passing. I attended the West Coast premiere of his Guitar Concerto several years ago, and I recently enjoyed hearing the premiere of his new Organ Concerto with the Philadelphia Orch on Sirius XM. I hope The Phil records it. I'm not a fan of a lot of contemporary composers, but his music speaks to me with its combination of visceral intensity and melody.

Mirror Image

I'm late to the party I know, but it's absolutely terrible news that Rouse has passed away! I had no idea. What a composer! That last recording of his music on Dacapo with Alan Gilbert and the New York Philharmonic was an instant favorite. All of those pieces were superb. His Flute Concerto is also a favorite of mine. A shame he's left of us and 70 yrs. old is still relatively young by today's standards. RIP, Maestro Rouse.

Mirror Image

Some interesting videos of Rouse just in case some of you haven't seen them:

https://www.youtube.com/v/Bvtnht0ZmFw

https://www.youtube.com/v/XZ88zPr_fnk

Mirror Image

I listened to the 2nd symphony last night (Gilbert on BIS) and, man, what a tremendous work this is --- it's quite Sibelian in compactness. There is some ferocious percussion sections in the last movement that made this former percussionist crack a smile. To anyone who does own the Gilbert conducted recordings of Rouse's music, run, don't walk, over to your nearest e-retailer and buy those albums.