Dutch Composers

Started by Dundonnell, August 11, 2007, 04:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on May 29, 2022, 02:00:30 PM
The 'other Johan' returns... The Third Symphony is my favourite Andriessen symphony. A marvellous piece. I prefer a historic performance, under Jean Fournet. You can find it here: https://youtu.be/d4jmwDh9eVo

As for Orthel, I still love that Second Symphony, a minor masterpiece, in my opinion. Scherzo No. 2 is just as good.
Good to see the return of the 'other' Johan  ;D
I thought that this thread might bring you out of hibernation  ;D
I see that the Orthel Symphony No.2 is on You Tube, so I will track it down there. Totally agree about Andriessen's 3rd Symphony and fortunately have both recordings of it (I like them both).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on May 29, 2022, 10:44:42 PM
Good to see the return of the 'other' Johan  ;D
I thought that this thread might bring you out of hibernation  ;D

Summer is coming.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

I've had Orthel's 'Evocazione' and 3rd Symphony on repeat listening - two great discoveries for me. I know that others have been enthusing over the 2nd Symphony (which I'm yet to hear) but I have been moved and impressed by the 3rd Symphony, especially the opening movement. I'm playing that Symphony again now.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on May 30, 2022, 10:38:19 PM
I've had Orthel's 'Evocazione' and 3rd Symphony on repeat listening - two great discoveries for me. I know that others have been enthusing over the 2nd Symphony (which I'm yet to hear) but I have been moved and impressed by the 3rd Symphony, especially the opening movement. I'm playing that Symphony again now.

The Third is a beautiful piece, so - enjoy!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vandermolen

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on May 30, 2022, 10:45:37 PM

The Third is a beautiful piece, so - enjoy!

Thanks Johan - I'm currently enjoying the 4th Symphony, which is rather like a piano concerto.
Every work on this CD (Evocazione, 3rd and 4th Symphony) has given me much pleasure and they make a great programme of works.

vers la flamme

Quote from: beer on November 17, 2007, 02:08:21 AM
Yeah he Dutch and I agree the greatest. He is the Jimmy Hendrix of organ music with his psychedelic works and (must have) infuenced many composers to come.

Note that I dont know any other Dutch composers and Im Dutch

Super old comment but I liked this and agree  ;D

Roy Bland

It seems clarify relationship between Johan and Bernard Wagenaar that was quite obscure
https://www.icebreaker.org.uk/diderik-wagenaar.html

pjme

pjme

Lahav Shani conducted Pijper"'s second symphony twice - in Rotterdam and Berlin.

Edo de Waart performed a lot of Dutch composers. these adagios are Pijpers most lyrical, symphonic work.

Roy Bland

Quote from: vandermolen on May 30, 2022, 10:38:19 PMI've had Orthel's 'Evocazione' and 3rd Symphony on repeat listening - two great discoveries for me. I know that others have been enthusing over the 2nd Symphony (which I'm yet to hear) but I have been moved and impressed by the 3rd Symphony, especially the opening movement. I'm playing that Symphony again now.

absolutely and incomprehensibly forgotten