Charles Ives

Started by Thom, April 18, 2007, 10:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 29, 2022, 05:38:22 PM
The other day I followed the conversation about Ives's violin sonatas. I've had the 2nd movement from the 3rd Sonata in my mind and man, what a f**ing miniature masterpiece! Fiendishly difficult. That cow-boy dance is exhilarating. I especially like from the 2:57 mark on. In that moment it looks like the composer was about to explode of madness!! What a jackass fragment indeed!

On this note, I must plan a revisit of Violin Sonata No. 3. I'll admit that I love all of Ives' violin sonatas, though. They all hold a special place in my heart as does a lot of Ives' music in general.

Leo K.

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 21, 2022, 07:20:48 PM
This post wasn't directed to me, but this is my favorite recording of the Concord Sonata:

I have yet to hear anyone top Gilbert Kalish and the Nonesuch audio quality is warm --- just a lovely performance.

I totally agree on this certain recording. It is very important to me. Aces!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Leo K. on January 31, 2022, 01:41:00 PM
I totally agree on this certain recording. It is very important to me. Aces!

8)

foxandpeng

Cross posting from WAYLT thread... Ives may have some ground to make in my list of favoured American composers, but I can see him extending his elbows in future...

Quote from: foxandpeng on March 16, 2022, 06:14:41 AM
Charles Ives
Symphonies 1 - 4 & Misc
Melbourne SO
Sir Andrew Davis
Chandos

Isn't it strange how some things people say, stay with you, sometimes for years?

I was advised as a young man that some composers would be 'too difficult' for me, and that I should avoid them. It colours my thinking even now, at times, even though my capacity for challenging music is somewhat developed. Perhaps that's why some of the music to which I gravitate isn't always very accessible to others and that I'm subconsciously trying to prove something to myself? Interesting...

Anyway. Along with Shostakovich, Schoenberg, and others, Charles Ives was one of the composers I was told that I wouldn't ever understand. What a shame that I've never really taken the plunge to listen to him apart from recently. Symphonies 1 - 4, New England Holidays, Orchestral Sets 1 & 2, The Unanswered Question, Central Park in the Dark... etc ... all very much worth hearing. I'm a little bemused as to why Ives would be cast this way.

Ives of March? Enjoyable few days.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Symphonic Addict

Just playing here the Orchestral Set No. 2. What original and highly atmospheric music. Ives' stamp is quite unique I must say.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 21, 2022, 05:25:55 PM

Just playing here the Orchestral Set No. 2. What original and highly atmospheric music. Ives' stamp is quite unique I must say.

I love this piece, too. I always thought that Orchestral Set No. 2 sounded like what if Debussy was raised in the US. It has this haziness to it that brings to the mind the French master.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 21, 2022, 08:34:21 PM
I love this piece, too. I always thought that Orchestral Set No. 2 sounded like what if Debussy was raised in the US. It has this haziness to it that brings to the mind the French master.

Yes, misty landscapes come to mind when heard it.

The older, the more I get fascinated by composers who weren't of my affections when I started to listening to them.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 21, 2022, 09:18:36 PM
Yes, misty landscapes come to mind when heard it.

The older, the more I get fascinated by composers who weren't of my affections when I started to listening to them.

I can still say with much enthusiasm that Ives was at the beginning of my classical journey and continues to be a favorite of mine after all these years. Even after as many times as I've listened to one of his works, the music still surprises. I'm usually grinning ear to ear after I hear an Ives work.

Mirror Image

For the month of July, I'm going to leave Ives up as my avatar. I think he represents what is great about American music. He was innovative, ahead of his time and he wrote the music that he wanted and made no compromises. An absolute iconoclast and one of my favorite composers. Tomorrow is the US' Independence Day, so I'll definitely be queuing up some Ives amongst other American composers.

Listening to the Two Contemplations: The Unanswered Question and Central Park in the Dark right now and they absolutely floor me each time I hear them.

Mirror Image

Quote from: foxandpeng on March 16, 2022, 06:20:45 AM
Cross posting from WAYLT thread... Ives may have some ground to make in my list of favoured American composers, but I can see him extending his elbows in future...

I've had people try and persuade me to stay away from this or that composer in the past and, honestly, you won't truly know how you feel until you've actually heard the music. Nobody should stop you from listening to the music that you want to hear. It's best to listen to your own inner voice and ignore the naysayers. Many people have wrote negatively about Ives in the past and many still do, but this will never affect my own thinking about the composer. He's one of the greatest composers I've ever heard and he's certainly an important American composer in that he sought out new avenues of expression that hadn't been heard previously. Whether he's successful or not is up to the listener not someone telling you that you shouldn't be listening to his music.

W.A. Mozart

What do you think of the Symphony 4?

vers la flamme

Quote from: W.A. Mozart on June 27, 2023, 08:46:07 AMWhat do you think of the Symphony 4?

Haven't heard it, but have been meaning to give it a first listen. I have Michael Tilson Thomas' recording with the CSO on Sony. Since you're asking, I'll try and give it a first listen soon and report back.

Ives is one composer who seriously eludes me so far. Some of his music intrigues me, some of his other music not so much, but I so far have not quite been able to crack why he is so revered by so many.

W.A. Mozart

I like the first and the third movements.

Symphonic Addict

Even though I'm not crazy about Ives' 4th, I do recognize that is one of the most original symphonies I know. Such a wacky, groundbreaking, strange yet gripping work. The Stokowski recording is terrific:

Noam Chomsky

brewski

No. 4 is perhaps my favorite of the symphonies—and yes, highly original, groundbreaking, like nothing else. The Stokowski recording is classic for a reason. Tilson Thomas with Chicago is probably my favorite modern recording, but there are a few other worthy contenders. Ozawa/Boston (from 1977) is notable because he was the first (I believe) to do the score without an assistant conductor, and Dohnányi/Cleveland (1994) is perhaps my second fave, with sensational orchestral playing. Morlot/Seattle (2016) is also worth hearing, as are most of Seattle's recordings on its own label.

I haven't yet heard Dudamel/Los Angeles, released in 2021, but reports have been positive. In general, the piece requires such expertise from all forces (including recording engineers) that I'm inclined to think that most performances are going to be at least "very good," only because of the effort required to assemble all the moving parts.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Daverz

Quote from: Crudblud on January 23, 2022, 12:37:25 PMSome days I think "General William Booth Enters into Heaven" is the finest song ever written.

I remember this from a Nonesuch LP (Marni Nixon with John McCabe on piano).  You can stream it now on an EMI compilation (it was a originally a Pye recording, and so I suppose Warner owns it now). 

Here's the choral/orchestral version:

Karl Henning

Classical Nerd's vid about Ives runs north of two hours. I can see the time being well spent, but I need to prepare myself.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Atriod

More recently I have come to really love the Concord Sonata and it's fast approaching one of my favorite American solo keyboard works if not my number one. A big reason for this is there are only a couple of instances of Ives quoting American music, instead the sonata is always forward looking.

I've been reading this book, and I can heartily recommend it for those that want more insight into his second sonata.

Karl Henning

The Concord is a great piece!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Atriod

Quote from: Karl Henning on April 11, 2024, 07:12:31 AMThe Concord is a great piece!

It's quite a genius piece of music. Like the fourth symphony it sounds like Ives leaving everything behind.