Author Topic: Brian Eno's Thursday afternoon  (Read 1354 times)

Sean

Brian Eno's Thursday afternoon
« on: July 29, 2013, 04:22:24 AM »
Ambient music at its greatest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0TaH7WQHBw

Some philosophy...

In slow repetitious music complex options that material could take are analysed intuitively and those discarded kept under the surface, all in the same time that the music takes to make its decisions, thus providing beauty: the regressions of analysis via the intellect disappear off harmlessly.

Stasis can arise from a drone, with long intense notes similarly giving time for the attention to return back on itself in re-engaging with them, exalting in aesthetic awareness of one’s own Self, beginningless and endless in its all encompassing yet featureless nature.

The drone as with repetition is a representation in sound of consciousness's dynamic silence with iterations of the attention to the music reflecting the Self's self-effulgence and necessary continued existence as the absolute...

Hey I just got myself access to Youtube after a year without it...

Offline 7/4

Re: Brian Eno's Thursday afternoon
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 01:10:04 PM »
It's a beautiful album...one of the first CDs I bought. It wasn't going to come out on vinyl, so I bought it even thought I didn't own a CD player yet. I was already a big Eno fan, I could not resist.

Offline bigshot

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 01:28:01 PM »
I had the laserdisc. It came with instructions to put your player on continuous loop and to set your TV set on its side for proper viewing. Yah rite. I'm gonna do that!

I've never heard the end of this because it puts me right to sleep!

Sean

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 05:55:00 PM »
Eno's two other important works seem to be Music for Airports and Apollo. I've tried a few others but they didn't work quite so well...

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 01:27:50 AM »
Eno's two other important works seem to be Music for Airports and Apollo. I've tried a few others but they didn't work quite so well...
I also love his 70s pop albums.