accents and languages : annoying/sexy

Started by маразм1, October 12, 2007, 11:28:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunnyside_up

Quote from: carlos on October 13, 2007, 04:36:40 AM
OK, But please, north-americans or europeans you are,
don't try to speak in spanish. Is very painful to hear you.

Hehe, Carlos, as I read your post, Manuel from Fawlty Towers popped into my head and spoke those lines  ;D

When I was in the USA, everyone mistook me for an English person (I have a reasonably recognisable Australian accent). When I was in the UK and Ireland I seemed to blend in with the locals. When I returned to Australia after 10 years I had quite the London accent, but I am happy to report it has returned to normal.  0:)

A tall, dark, handsome man with any kind of European accent will do the trick for me (come to think of it he doesn't necessarily need to be tall, dark or handsome)..... ;D

greg

Quote from: Daidalos on October 12, 2007, 12:18:16 PM
English with a Swedish accent is the most painful thing imaginable.
lol, so you must be saying we should be lucky that we can't hear you talk?  ;D

Quote from: Bonehelm on October 12, 2007, 08:37:56 PM
Japanese is probably the most erotic spoken language on earth. When spoken by girls only, obviously.
now that i think about it...... it is......
they always have such high-pitched girly voices, i think that's half of it

Mark

Quote from: sidoze on October 12, 2007, 11:52:39 AM
this is ridiculously reductive. there's an old English joke that English accents change by postcode (if you don't know, pretty much every block in England has a different postcode). so what you're saying doesn't really make sense.

russian is beautiful

Agreed, on all counts.

Bonehelm

greg

Quote from: Bonehelm on October 13, 2007, 12:50:47 PM
Greg what accent do you speak?
hm, i don't know what you'd call it- just a regular American accent. A lot of my family has a southern accent, though- dad, grandma, etc.
and you?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: greg on October 13, 2007, 01:05:44 PM
hm, i don't know what you'd call it- just a regular American accent. A lot of my family has a southern accent, though- dad, grandma, etc.
and you?

Central Florida raised? No accent? Humbug! You may not sound like Larry the Cable Guy, at least not to yourself, but I bet you DO have one. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing: Haydn Quartets, Op. 33 & 42 - Quatuor Festetics - Hob 3 41 Op 33 #5 Quartet in G 2nd mvmt - Largo e cantabile
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

greg

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 13, 2007, 01:45:21 PM
Central Florida raised? No accent? Humbug! You may not sound like Larry the Cable Guy, at least not to yourself, but I bet you DO have one. :)

nope, not at all.
around here it's pretty metropolitan for a place that isn't a city at all (well, a LOT less where i've been living the last 6 months, which is more "southern"); so in school, everyone sounds different- it's just like a big city like New York, very diverse  :)

now, if i lived with other members of my family my whole life, i'd definetely sound like Larry the Cable Guy  ;D

Kullervo

Has anyone ever known anyone that learned a language so well, they spoke their native language with an accent, and spoke their new language like a native? :P

Mozart

Hmm, how about a what do you sound like thread?

Lethevich

Quote from: HandelHooligan on October 13, 2007, 07:10:06 PM
Hmm, how about a what do you sound like thread?

Yes... I demand voice clips of GMG people of different accents reading set texts...

Actually no, that would be creepy as hell. :-X
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Kullervo

Bonehelm

Quote from: greg on October 13, 2007, 01:05:44 PM
and you?

Canadian with a slight hint of British English. I was raised in HK where they used British English but I also had lived in Canada for 7 years where they use USA English.

Renfield

Quote from: Corey on October 13, 2007, 06:33:03 PM
Has anyone ever known anyone that learned a language so well, they spoke their native language with an accent, and spoke their new language like a native? :P

In all honesty, I nominate myself. I speak English in most accents I've encountered "live" easily, from a Berstein-like American accent to a "King's English" British one, and my default accent is very, very noticeably British, and somewhat "posh", too.

Whereas my accent in Greek has never been anything to write home about, somewhat influenced by the heavier inflection of consonants prevalent in the Cretan idiom (in which I am also somewhat versed), and generally "uninspiring" to say the least: you could call it "academic Greek", implying a certain sterility of inflexion.

(Although I still pronounce Greek like it's meant to be sound. I just sound a bit awkward while doing so.)

So there you have it. But I love the English language with a passion, and have suffered a lot in this country because of it: so no bragging, but I'll admit some pride. ;)

Kullervo

Quote from: Renfield on October 14, 2007, 12:17:04 AM
In all honesty, I nominate myself. I speak English in most accents I've encountered "live" easily, from a Berstein-like American accent to a "King's English" British one, and my default accent is very, very noticeably British, and somewhat "posh", too.

Whereas my accent in Greek has never been anything to write home about, somewhat influenced by the heavier inflection of consonants prevalent in the Cretan idiom (in which I am also somewhat versed), and generally "uninspiring" to say the least: you could call it "academic Greek", implying a certain sterility of inflexion.

(Although I still pronounce Greek like it's meant to be sound. I just sound a bit awkward while doing so.)

So there you have it. But I love the English language with a passion, and have suffered a lot in this country because of it: so no bragging, but I'll admit some pride. ;)

Well, I must say I admire your self-awareness. :)

Renfield

Quote from: Corey on October 14, 2007, 05:19:11 AM
Well, I must say I admire your self-awareness. :)

Some call it vainglory, or even "pomp". But thank you for the compliment nonetheless, Corey: I really appreciate it.

greg

Quote from: Bonehelm on October 13, 2007, 11:47:25 PM
Canadian with a slight hint of British English. I was raised in HK where they used British English but I also had lived in Canada for 7 years where they use USA English.
ah, so we have a Canadian here, hm

i have a couple of questions........
is this you?

and do you live in...... Toronto?

Kullervo

Quote from: Renfield on October 14, 2007, 05:28:59 AM
Some call it vainglory, or even "pomp". But thank you for the compliment nonetheless, Corey: I really appreciate it.

You are, I'm sure, well aware of the ancient precept seemingly dropped from the sky that says: "Know thyself!"

Renfield

Quote from: Corey on October 14, 2007, 09:50:43 AM
You are, I'm sure, well aware of the ancient precept seemingly dropped from the sky that says: "Know thyself!"

But are the others aware of it? ;)

knight66

Maurice Chevalier could seemingly pronounce English without much of a French accent. He however decided there was no mileage in it and therefore laid on the thick Gallic accent to charm the ladies.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Bonehelm

Quote from: greg on October 14, 2007, 09:18:03 AM
ah, so we have a Canadian here, hm

i have a couple of questions........
is this you?

and do you live in...... Toronto?

Vancouver. But I lived in Toronto for 4 years prior to going back to HK, then to here.