Richter on the Regis Label

Started by E d o, April 18, 2007, 11:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

E d o

Are any of these worth picking up? I'm wondering if the performances and sound quality are better on other labels?

George

Quote from: E d o on April 18, 2007, 11:25:06 AM
Are any of these worth picking up? I'm wondering if the performances and sound quality are better on other labels?

I have two or three of the Schubert, one of the Schumann and one of the Richter. They are (I believe) all re-releases of old Olympia CD's.

The performances are nothing less than stunning. The sound is at least better than the average release. I say grab them while you can! The Richter one is already OOP I believe.  :-\

E d o

George,
Do you know if the sounds beats the Olympia transfers?

SimonGodders

I think I have them all: 3 Schubert, 1 Schumann, 1 Tchaikovsky, 1 Beethoven and 1 Rachmaninoff. They are uniformly excellent. I would doubt there is much difference if any between the Olympia/Regis versions. Do not hesitate to buy!
;)

George

Quote from: E d o on April 18, 2007, 12:40:29 PM
George,
Do you know if the sounds beats the Olympia transfers?

There are one in the same.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: SimonGodders on April 18, 2007, 12:48:48 PM
I think I have them all: 3 Schubert, 1 Schumann, 1 Tchaikovsky, 1 Beethoven and 1 Rachmaninoff.

You forgot the Chopin Scherzi disc. ;)

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

SimonGodders

Quote from: donwyn on April 18, 2007, 09:21:02 PM
You forgot the Chopin Scherzi disc. ;)

Damn! Yes have that also, again, superb. They really are such great value for such exemplary playing. Listening to the Tchaikovsky disc now....sublime.

rubio

How is that Beethoven Piano Sonatas disc?
"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

SimonGodders

Quote from: rubio on April 18, 2007, 11:28:48 PM
How is that Beethoven Piano Sonatas disc?

Again, I've got it wrong! There are two Beethoven CD's. The one in particular that I was thinking of was with the Variations (Eroica and Op. 34 and 76) that are played with much spirit and elan, also has some Schumann on it. Will have to expand later, late for work!!!

SimonGodders

OK, just to clarify, these are all the Richter/Regis CD's:

http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/pages/search/searchresults.asp

Be it Beethoven, Shostakovich I consider them all superb and excellent value. With regards to the Beethoven disc, I view Richter to be one of the eminent Beethovenians along with Schnabel, Pollini and Gilels and wouldn't hesitate to purchase.

I may have got rid of the odd Richter CD where something has been duplicated and own a superior performance by him, but in all honesty, he almost always has something interesting to say about the work he is playing.

I realise I'm probably not helping much, as if there was a CD of Richter farting in the bathtub, I'ld probably buy it!!!
:P

George

Quote from: SimonGodders on April 19, 2007, 01:59:58 AM
I realise I'm probably not helping much, as if there was a CD of Richter farting in the bathtub, I'ld probably buy it!!!
:P

There are actually two such recordings. I recommend the live one from the '50s on Music and Farts. The sound isn't as good, but his technique was flawless. Plus for an encore, he brushes his teeth! 

not edward

Quote from: George on April 19, 2007, 03:24:20 AM
There are actually two such recordings. I recommend the live one from the '50s on Music and Farts. The sound isn't as good, but his technique was flawless. Plus for an encore, he brushes his teeth! 
Don't forget the pirate recordings of Richter going to the toilet available on the Urinia label.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

SimonGodders

LOL!!! Laughing myself silly here chaps!
;D

A work colleague has just asked whats so funny, couldn't begin to explain....
:D

George

Quote from: SimonGodders on April 19, 2007, 06:37:24 AM
LOL!!! Laughing myself silly here chaps!
;D

A work colleague has just asked whats so funny, couldn't begin to explain....
:D

;)

Poetdante

I have this one.
Schumann - Etudes Symphonique, Bunte Blatter, Fantasiestucke

If you see this, BUY it immeadiately!!!!
The best playing of Etudes Symphonique I've ever heard.  :)
Chopin, forever.

Novi

Quote from: Poetdante on April 19, 2007, 07:13:59 AM

I have this one.
Schumann - Etudes Symphonique, Bunte Blatter, Fantasiestucke

If you see this, BUY it immeadiately!!!!
The best playing of Etudes Symphonique I've ever heard.  :)

Absolutely! 8)
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

George

SimonGodders

Quote from: George on April 19, 2007, 09:35:44 AM
Yup, worth climbing that mountain on the cover.  $:)

I'ld do the mountain(s), just not too sure about the rapids.... :-\ :P

George

Quote from: SimonGodders on April 19, 2007, 10:06:06 AM
I'ld do the mountain(s), just not too sure about the rapids.... :-\ :P

That's only because you haven't seen his tooth-flossing encore.  :-\