Bach: Mass in B minor

Started by Don Giovanni, April 18, 2007, 11:30:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Giovanni

Which would you say is the best recording of this work? I know that it may be a matter of opinion, but I would appreciate 2 or 3 recommendations.

Que

You won't see the Hengelbrock recommended often - I think few people know it.   
It suffices to say that that doesn't mean it's not any good!  8)

I like the Leonhardt too.

Q

knight66

DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Don Giovanni

Justin Ignaz Franz Bieber

i like the ones by gardiner & jacobs. judging by the links it seems that others who post here aren't enamoured with the gardiner recording but i like it.
"I am, therefore I think." -- Nietzsche

Don

Quote from: biber fan on April 18, 2007, 03:13:06 PM
i like the ones by gardiner & jacobs. judging by the links it seems that others who post here aren't enamoured with the gardiner recording but i like it.

I like it also.  It's my 2nd favorite after Leonhardt.

val

I prefer the version of Gustav Leonhardt, with Poulenard and other soloists, above all because of its spiritual dimension.

The recent version of Rene Jacobs is very touching, not as severe as Leonhardt, more humble and human.

With modern instruments, the version of Jochum with Dresden has sublime moments (Crucifixus and, in general, all the Credo), but the Kyrie and the Gloria seem to heavy.

I don't like Herreweghe, too superficial, almost choreographic, for my taste.

Klemperer is impossible - but has the best soloists - and Corboz is always much better in concert that in his recordings.

sunnyside_up

The first one I bought and my second favourite (after the Herreweghe....). I wasn't so keen on the Gardiner, whom I usually adore doing Bach.

Don Giovanni

I've just received the Gardiner recording of the B minor Mass. At first I was quite pleased but, listening to the Kyrie eleison again, all I can hear throughout the first track is some sort of extra-musical noise. I'm used to hearing the odd sound here and there but there are noises all the way through the first couple of minutes. Have people experienced this on their recordings?

Harry Collier

Quote from: val on April 19, 2007, 02:13:25 AM
Klemperer is impossible - but has the best soloists

What a strange adjective! What is impossible about Klemperer's Mass in B Minor? I personally value it more and more as years go by and slick, shallow readings come and go. Reflect that Klemperer conducted the Mass many, many times over a period of almost 60 years and undoubtedly knew it a lot better and a lot more deeply than you do (it was one of his favourite works). He was also very much in tune with its Germanic roots (which is more than you can say of Joshua Rifkin, for example).

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Harry Collier on April 30, 2007, 12:54:19 PM
What a strange adjective! What is impossible about Klemperer's Mass in B Minor? I personally value it more and more as years go by and slick, shallow readings come and go. Reflect that Klemperer conducted the Mass many, many times over a period of almost 60 years and undoubtedly knew it a lot better and a lot more deeply than you do (it was one of his favourite works). He was also very much in tune with its Germanic roots (which is more than you can say of Joshua Rifkin, for example).

What he said.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Don Giovanni

Is anyone able to answer my question regarding Gardiner's recording of the work?

sunnyside_up

Quote from: Don Giovanni on May 01, 2007, 01:20:55 AM
Is anyone able to answer my question regarding Gardiner's recording of the work?

I'm just listening to it now, Don Giovanni, and I can't hear anything untoward.  What sort of extra musical noise does it sound like?

Maciek

I have that recording too, and even though I don't particulary like it I wouldn't go as far as to call anything I can hear there noise.

Don Giovanni

On the first track, the Kyrie eleison, at about 0.40 it starts. If you listen 'beyond' the music you should hear some continuous noise (something which isn't being played). I understand that when it's listened to on a stereo it will be difficult but I am very sure it's there.

I don't suppose it's the resultant noise from someone playing their instrument? It's very unlike anything I've heard before.

Could there be an error with my recording? I'm pretty sure it isn't - the sound seems to be coming directly from the performance.

Don Giovanni

Update:

If you go to 5.30 on the first track and listen carefully for the duration of the quiet section you should hear it. Sorry for bugging people on this topic: I just want to be sure about this.

71 dB

Quote from: Don Giovanni on May 01, 2007, 02:00:53 AM
On the first track, the Kyrie eleison, at about 0.40 it starts. If you listen 'beyond' the music you should hear some continuous noise (something which isn't being played). I understand that when it's listened to on a stereo it will be difficult but I am very sure it's there.

I don't suppose it's the resultant noise from someone playing their instrument? It's very unlike anything I've heard before.

Could there be an error with my recording? I'm pretty sure it isn't - the sound seems to be coming directly from the performance.

Update:

If you go to 5.30 on the first track and listen carefully for the duration of the quiet section you should hear it. Sorry for bugging people on this topic: I just want to be sure about this.

The noise you are talking about is very easy to hear. Sounds mechanical noise from the instruments to me but I don't know why the players are making that loud noise.  ???
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Don Giovanni

Exactly! Thank you dB. I can't think what instrument it is. Anyway, I might use some of the helpful recommendations from other posters to find another recording. (Since I listen to music always on my mp3 player, I don't think I'll be able to put up with the annoying noise).

71 dB

Quote from: Don Giovanni on May 01, 2007, 03:35:03 AM
Exactly! Thank you dB. I can't think what instrument it is. Anyway, I might use some of the helpful recommendations from other posters to find another recording. (Since I listen to music always on my mp3 player, I don't think I'll be able to put up with the annoying noise).

No problem. The rustling noise comes mostly from right, some of it from the middle and left. I am not that annoyed by it because this is among the finest music ever written.  :)

I can always listen to Junghänel on SACD...
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Don Giovanni

How good is Klemperer's recording? From clips that I've heard he seems to take it slowly (unlike Gardiner). What would be a good recording for me to buy?