Bach: Mass in B minor

Started by Don Giovanni, April 18, 2007, 11:30:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinP

The Kuijken isn't coming up on Amazon searches on either side of the Pond.

Is it a new performance, or is the rest of that ill-advised release of excerpts from several years back?

FideLeo

Quote from: KevinP on June 12, 2009, 01:33:38 AM

Is it a new performance, or is the rest of that ill-advised release of excerpts from several years back?

A new performance as far as I can tell - at least as indicated at the crotchet link in the musicweb review. http://www.crotchet.co.uk/cgi-bin/cws/scan/rs=yes/se=cc72316/sp=trackscl?mv_pc=zmusic
Different soloists from the Arkiv listing, which shows a 2004 recording.
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

jlaurson

Quote from: KevinP on June 12, 2009, 01:33:38 AM

It is new, but it can be easily found on Amazon outside the US:

Germany: http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001RH974U/nectarandambr-21

France: http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001RH974U/nectarandambrFR-21

UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001RH974U/nectarandambrUK-21

The one on Arkiv (also found on Amazon), for now, is an older live recording of EXCERPTS.
Similar cover, which might be confusing.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: masolino on June 12, 2009, 12:35:18 AM
I don't see why it is not possible to prefer Minkowski to Kuijken in Bach (with the exception of violin playing I suppose :)) if the former can (and did) deliver a radically new, beautiful and valid interpretation of his music.  

I don't see any problem at all, Masolino, especially in this forum where we love new and beautiful versions.  :)

In my case just a prejudice: I think that spiritually men are born Bachians or Handelians, and Minkowski is a Handelian for me. I recalled this when you described his performance like "sensual" and "dramatic", complex words when we are talking about a Bach's mass.

jlaurson

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on June 12, 2009, 05:29:38 AM
I don't see any problem at all, Masolino, especially in this forum where we love new and beautiful versions.  :)

In my case just a prejudice: I think that spiritually men are born Bachians or Handelians, and Minkowski is a Handelian for me. I recalled this when you described his performance like "sensual" and "dramatic", complex words when we are talking about a Bach's mass.

You should read Minkowski's reasons for not having tackled Bach sooner. May I (not entirely unselfishly) recommend the interview in the current issue of Fanfare: "Minkowski Bach at Last". ? :-)

FideLeo

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on June 12, 2009, 05:29:38 AM

Yes - Minkowski's vision of the Bach mass is a complex one, and all the more remarkable because of this.  Especially his interpretation of the Kyrie and the Gloria is worthy of their dedication to the Dresden court chapel, i.e. fabulous. Let's think of Mozart's c-minor Mass - it may not have been that remote from Bach's b minor in the aesthetics that they subscribe to.
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Mandryka

I have just been listening to this for the first time in years and I was struck by the length of it. It must surely be the longest mass ever.

It's hard to imagine that a mass this long could actually be used as part of a ritual -- was it designed for liturgical use?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Mandryka on September 03, 2009, 08:20:47 AM
I have just been listening to this for the first time in years and I was struck by the length of it. It must surely be the longest mass ever.

It's hard to imagine that a mass this long could actually be used as part of a ritual -- was it designed for liturgical use?

Google is your friend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_in_B_Minor

Marc

Quote from: Mandryka on September 03, 2009, 08:20:47 AM

It's hard to imagine that a mass this long could actually be used as part of a ritual [....]

I wouldn't mind to join that service, though. ;)

Coopmv

Anyone, particularly forum members from the Netherlands, know anything about this set?  I would like to get some positive opinions before pulling the trigger ...

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Coopmv on September 13, 2009, 08:06:29 AM
Anyone, particularly forum members from the Netherlands, know anything about this set?  I would like to get some positive opinions before pulling the trigger ...

Hi, Coop. What is the reason for your "particularly forum members from the Netherlands"?... I'm just curious.  :)

Coopmv

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on September 13, 2009, 08:21:42 AM
Hi, Coop. What is the reason for your "particularly forum members from the Netherlands"?... I'm just curious.  :)

They are generally more familiar with ensembles from that part of Europe, just as I am more familiar with ensembles from the northeastern part of the US. 

Coopmv

Quote from: Dr. Dread on September 03, 2009, 08:37:40 AM
Google is your friend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_in_B_Minor

Indeed, Mass in B minor was composed in Lutheran style with much Roman Catholic influence.

Leo K.

I searched to see if there was a longer B Minor Mass thread but couldn't find it sorry!  Just one pagers is all I could find, and a link to a discussion on the old board which I've found helpful.

Anyways, I've been just getting back to listening to this incredible work once again after putting it away for awhile...

The recordings I know are:

These are great, but last night I heard this for the first time:

And wow...what another world!!!  It sounds cosmic, but at the same time I feel I'm in a smaller country church in an intimate setting despite the atmospheric sound quality.  And the singing sounds real special and human.

I'm just asking for thoughts on your favorite recordings of this work...all styles/interpretations welcome please!

I want to explore this work much more.

Thanks!

Bulldog

Leo K.

Moderator...thanks for finding the thread  ;D 

DarkAngel

Quote from: Que on June 11, 2009, 10:12:03 PM
Any takers for this new issue? :)

Antoine
Can I assume since this offering is your top choice for Cds of 2009 you really like this............... :)

Is this your favorite Mass in B minor of all time, top 3, comments please......(don't keep any secrets from us)

Coopmv

I added this set to my Bach collection a few weeks ago.  It is quite good on first listen - all the chances I have had so far ...

DarkAngel

Coop
What is your favorite B minor Mass? (or top 2-3 versions)

Coopmv

Quote from: DarkAngel on December 21, 2009, 03:28:39 PM
Coop
What is your favorite B minor Mass? (or top 2-3 versions)

My top three favorite Mass in B minor, in no particular order, are

They are a combo of CD's and DVD.  The Karajan's 1950 version with the Vienna Symphony is noteworthy due to having two all-time great soloists, Elisabeth Schwarzkopf and Kathleen Ferrier and Karajan was not doing his extreme legato.
Herbert Blomstedt really did put in a very memorable performance on the DVD, which was recorded at St Thomas, the same church where JS Bach was the cantor.  John Eliot Gardiner also did a great job (for an English ensemble) on this piece IMO.