Brahms' Third Symphony

Started by Mark, October 16, 2007, 01:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

If we've had a thread on this already, forgive me.

I was listening this evening to Marin Alsop conducting the London Philharmonic Orchestra (Naxos) in Brahms' Third Symphony, and was reminded of a time when I heard the work's beautiful poco allegretto third movement played very leisurely indeed. I didn't catch the names of the performers at that time (it was a Radio 3 broadcast from several years ago), and have ever since wanted to find a recording that has a more drawn-out third movement.

Anyone here got a suitable recommendation? ???

(Needless to say, any discussion in this thread of this symphony is more than welcome - let's not restrict ourselves to just the third movement. ;))

MishaK

There is always late Celi if drawn out is desired. But you do have to wonder why then Johnny Broom bothered to write poco allegretto.

Mark

Quote from: O Mensch on October 16, 2007, 02:06:06 PM
There is always late Celi if drawn out is desired. But you do have to wonder why then Johnny Broom bothered to write poco allegretto.

Oh, I know it's wrong. Call it a guilty pleasure. :D

I've just listened to a sample of Abbado's outing with the BPO on DG over at Amazon, and it sounds very much like something I might enjoy. A bit 'big band' for some, but if it's anything like his spacious, big-boned Beethoven cycle with the VPO (also on DG), I'm guessing I'll like it.

Brian

Quote from: Mark on October 16, 2007, 01:32:36 PM
I was listening this evening to Marin Alsop conducting the London Philharmonic Orchestra (Naxos) in Brahms' Third Symphony, and was reminded of a time when I heard the work's beautiful poco allegretto third movement played very leisurely indeed. I didn't catch the names of the performers at that time (it was a Radio 3 broadcast from several years ago), and have ever since wanted to find a recording that has a more drawn-out third movement.
Yes, Alsop has no urge to smell the roses in that particular movement.   :)  The most achingly emotional performance I've heard was a bonus track on a Vienna New Years' Concert DVD, oddly enough, with no performers credited.

head-case

I find Kertesz's recording of the Brahms symphony cycle to be the finest available, overall.  The movement you speak of is given ample time to breath is Kertesz's recording with the Vienna Philharmonic.

Dancing Divertimentian

For the poco allegretto try Haitink. He's pretty leisurely. My old (OOP) recording w/ him and the Boston SO clocks in at 6:37.

Haven't heard any of his latest attempts...

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Renfield

Ah, Brahms' Third! Just about the only symphony I've never heard a recording of that satisfies me. And I have more Brahms cycles than I can remember. (Edit for precision: around 15, when last I counted them.)

In any case, the one I like the most, but is not played/recorded the best, in my collection, is Karajan's 80's recording of the work.

Other favourites include the superb-but-not-exactly-Brahms Furtwangler/WPO (EMI), the Walter/Columbia SO (or the Walter/NYPO, both currently Sony), the Abbado/BPO (DG) you mentioned, the earlier Wand/NDR one (RCA), also Sanderling's account with the Staatskapelle Dresden (RCA); Mengelberg's with the Concertgebouw (Naxos), even! :o

But being entirely serious, I just can't say I've heard the third part of this symphony with the right "swing", the first one with the right "thrust", and the last one with the right "angst", all in the same recording. (Or "right" for me, that is.)

However, I have my hopes up for the only Karajan/BPO Brahms Third I don't have, the 60's one, which is finally being reissued properly this year. :)

Now, concerning your specific "demands", can I ask you to specify what you mean with "drawn out"? Because there's "melodic, waltzy" drawn-out, and there's "autumnal, ponderous" drawn-out, a la Sanderling or Mengelberg. ;)

Mark

Quote from: Renfield on October 17, 2007, 02:31:02 AM
Now, concerning your specific "demands", can I ask you to specify what you mean with "drawn out"? Because there's "melodic, waltzy" drawn-out, and there's "autumnal, ponderous" drawn-out, a la Sanderling or Mengelberg. ;)

I think I just mean slower, more leisurely. :)

val

There was an wonderful interpretation of the 3rd Symphony by Karl Böhm with the VPO. It was mono and old. I had it in LP but never found it on CD.

It was the most natural, fluent version I ever heard.

Giulini or Cantelli with the Philharmonia, Haitink with the Concertgebow, Walter with Columbia and Furtwängler with the BPO are my favorites, after Böhm.

Renfield

Quote from: Mark on October 17, 2007, 03:17:00 AM
I think I just mean slower, more leisurely. :)

Try the Sanderling/Staatksapelle Dresden one, on RCA. Not exactly my cup of tea in the third movement, but this is about as "leisurely" as you can get. ;)

Mark

Quote from: Renfield on October 17, 2007, 04:13:05 AM
Try the Sanderling/Staatksapelle Dresden one, on RCA. Not exactly my cup of tea in the third movement, but this is about as "leisurely" as you can get. ;)

Cool, thanks. I like Sanderling's work a lot.

Renfield

Quote from: Mark on October 17, 2007, 04:14:16 AM
Cool, thanks. I like Sanderling's work a lot.

Oh, it's quite an outstanding cycle, that one: magnificent 1st Symphony, too, and of course the excellent 3rd Symphony.

Just not it. :(

(Where "it" is a rather intangible quality I find myself seeking in a recording of Brahms' Third. In fact, I don't even know where I've developed this expectation from, but for me that symphony must be like a poem without words. Tough luck, eh? :P)

toledobass

Quote from: Renfield on October 17, 2007, 04:13:05 AM

This is the one that I was going to rec as well.  Probably not everyone's cup of tea but a very interesting and engaging account that is worth many listens.

Allan

head-case

Quote from: val on October 17, 2007, 03:47:17 AM
There was an wonderful interpretation of the 3rd Symphony by Karl Böhm with the VPO. It was mono and old. I had it in LP but never found it on CD.

It was the most natural, fluent version I ever heard.

Perhaps related to this?

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=26706

BorisG

If we've had a thread on this already, forgive me.

Anyone here got a suitable recommendation? ???

(Needless to say, any discussion in this thread of this symphony is more than welcome - let's not restrict ourselves to just the third movement. ;))

Try Klemperer 1957, Karajan 1964, and Abbado 1989.

Mozart

Of course I've always loved Solti's...but I've recently been enjoying this one.

Mark

I recently heard Bohm on DG - I can't be sure, but this might've been the version I heard on the radio a few years back. :)

Sergeant Rock

....and have ever since wanted to find a recording that has a more drawn-out third movement. Anyone here got a suitable recommendation? ???

This one:

At 7:04 it's the slowest Poco Allegretto I'm aware of. Anyone have a slower one?

Besides Bernstein, I own:

Kertesz/Vienna Phil
Szell/Cleveland
Maazel/Cleveland
Wand/SONDR
Klemperer/Philharmonia
Abendroth/RSO Leipzig
Sanderling/Dresden
Barenboim/Chicago
Mackerras/Scottish Chamber
Jochum/LPO
Furtwängler Berlin Phil '49
Furtwängler Berlin Phil '54

My favorite Thirds: Furtwängler '49, Wand (gorgeous third movement, ideally paced IMO) and Sanderling.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Drasko

Bump!

So, has anyone came across any good recordings recently? I've heard good things about Janowski in Pittsburgh and there is quite a bunch of live ones on Orfeo - Klemperer, Keilberth, Mitropoulos, Ansermet. Or Monteux and Tennstedt on BBC. Any impressions?
Also is Furtwangler in Turin 1954 with BPO on Myto any good?

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 18, 2007, 04:14:12 AM
At 7:04 it's [Bernstein] the slowest Poco Allegretto I'm aware of. Anyone have a slower one?

Levine in Vienna takes 7:06 but doesn't give impression of being particularly slow.

Scarpia

Hmm, I always seem to agree with that guy "head-case," I wonder what happened to him.  Kertesz/VPO is the way to go, the best Brahms I've heard, overall.  Unfortunately NLA, I believe,  but always floating around in used copies.