Author Topic: At the end of the alphabet: Zemlinsky  (Read 28732 times)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Dmitri Shostakovich (1906 - 1975)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Harrowing cries from across a war-torn landscape
Re: At the end of the alphabet: Zemlinsky
« Reply #160 on: July 17, 2020, 06:37:25 AM »
Couldn’t this have gone under the composer’s own thread? I mean it’s like you don’t know how to use the ‘Search’ function.
“When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something.” - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline deprofundis

• Veteran member
  • A person living in his dreams & Stouts Beer dude
    classical, skronk-jazz, blues, electro, noise, ambient, experimental etc
« Reply #161 on: July 17, 2020, 07:26:52 AM »
Couldn’t this have gone under the composer’s own thread? I mean it’s like you don’t know how to use the ‘Search’ function.

Yes I should have but wanted to make a distinct tread on his music and Wagner music because same ink  for me at least ,if op want move it to Zemlinsky?

I have no objections?
My works 26 yrs anniversary noisy hell production on Bandcamp featuring works 4 works whiteout: Hexen! smoke & fire, not on own N.H.P Record ,tell what ya think, need feedback from Students radio-show?:
https://bandcamp.com/baronvonblood lauch private, of Two LP's of WRECKAGE and TOTAL ANNIHILATION

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #162 on: July 20, 2020, 12:51:27 AM »
Zemlinsky's String Quartet No.1 is nice, especially the Artis Quartett Wien recording. It really has that "old Vienna" flavor.

Offline deprofundis

• Veteran member
« Reply #163 on: July 20, 2020, 03:45:41 AM »
Zemlinsky's String Quartet No.1 is nice, especially the Artis Quartett Wien recording. It really has that "old Vienna" flavor.

I agree dear vers la flamme, Zemlinsky is a great great composer in my book, a super good composer, to be honnest whit you I prefer Zemlinsky to his pupil Arnold Schoenberg his music has epic propportion in my mind.

have a good day  8)
My works 26 yrs anniversary noisy hell production on Bandcamp featuring works 4 works whiteout: Hexen! smoke & fire, not on own N.H.P Record ,tell what ya think, need feedback from Students radio-show?:
https://bandcamp.com/baronvonblood lauch private, of Two LP's of WRECKAGE and TOTAL ANNIHILATION

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #164 on: April 27, 2021, 07:09:58 PM »

The Artis Quartett are the recordings I own of the SQs and they are superb in every respect. I kept trying to look for the Schoenberg Quartet’s recordings since I loved their Second Viennese School performances, but I couldn’t find them. I’m actually kind of I didn’t as I’m now rather content with what the Artis Quartett bring to the musical table. Have you heard any of the other SQs? They’re all excellent --- the 2nd is the big-boned, Late-Romantic one, but the 3rd sees a change in his style as the writing becomes a bit more edgy and streamlined --- I detect a Schoenberg influence in this particular SQ and then the last one is rather Neoclassical. A winning SQ cycle overall and one that deserves to be better known. Also, do try his Piano Trio, Op. 3 (for clarinet, cello and piano). It’s a just gorgeous and if you haven’t heard any of the lieder (incl. orchesterlieder), orchestral works, Lyrische Symphonie or any of the operas, then do check these out as well. So much great music awaits you!
“When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something.” - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #165 on: April 30, 2021, 08:02:12 AM »

I agree dear vers la flamme, Zemlinsky is a great great composer in my book...his music has epic proportions...

Which works do you find epic?  Die Seejungfrau, currently buzzing through GMG  0:)  , would be an excellent choice, along with the Lyric Symphony.

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #166 on: April 30, 2021, 08:04:46 AM »
Which works do you find epic?  Die Seejungfrau, currently buzzing through GMG  0:)  , would be an excellent choice, along with the Lyric Symphony.

I’d say Eine florentinische Tragödie is quite epic as well.

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #167 on: April 30, 2021, 12:49:59 PM »
I’d say Eine florentinische Tragödie is quite epic as well.

Good example!  For those who have an hour or so...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/74HxFkhx-6U" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/74HxFkhx-6U</a>

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #168 on: April 30, 2021, 01:23:22 PM »
Good example!  For those who have an hour or so...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/74HxFkhx-6U" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/74HxFkhx-6U</a>

Zemlinsky composed several one-act operas. Der Zwerg is another one-act opera, but I haven’t heard this one yet. I’ve got the Conlon recording on the way.

Offline deprofundis

• Veteran member
« Reply #169 on: May 07, 2021, 06:25:28 PM »
Great Sir.Zemlinsky is a god of is era  (Romantic), well The Mermaids symphopny is deep , pognant, powerfull,  profound is a mysterious way, simply you cannot hate or dislike it, if you like Zemlinsky like me, what are the LP done of The Mermaids please I KNOW THERE EXPENSIVE? cHAILY, zemlinsky my verdict the great undermine master composer. Like is orchestration a lots.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #170 on: May 09, 2021, 12:23:52 AM »
Great Sir.Zemlinsky is a god of is era  (Romantic), well The Mermaids symphopny is deep , pognant, powerfull,  profound is a mysterious way, simply you cannot hate or dislike it, if you like Zemlinsky like me, what are the LP done of The Mermaids please I KNOW THERE EXPENSIVE? cHAILY, zemlinsky my verdict the great undermine master composer. Like is orchestration a lots.

Not sure but here are a couple:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 01:13:06 AM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #171 on: May 09, 2021, 03:06:25 AM »
[
Not sure but here are a couple:

I have the Chailly performance and can recommend it highly!

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #172 on: May 09, 2021, 05:19:33 AM »
I have the Chailly performance and can recommend it highly!

+1

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #173 on: May 09, 2021, 06:46:02 AM »
I’ll also add that if someone hasn’t heard the Lyrische Symphonie, all of the orchesterlieder and lieder (w/ piano), the SQs or Der Zwerg, then they definitely should rectify this soon!

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #174 on: May 09, 2021, 11:41:55 AM »
I’ll also add that if someone hasn’t heard the Lyrische Symphonie, all of the orchesterlieder and lieder (w/ piano), the SQs or Der Zwerg, then they definitely should rectify this soon!

The Sechs Orchesterlieder with poems by Maurice Maeterlinck is a brilliant work!

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #175 on: May 09, 2021, 06:03:09 PM »
The Sechs Orchesterlieder with poems by Maurice Maeterlinck is a brilliant work!

I can only nod my head along with your own, Cato. 8)

Offline deprofundis

• Veteran member
« Reply #176 on: May 20, 2021, 06:40:59 AM »
I adore the work of Sir Zemlinsky more than his pupil Schoenberg, whit all due respect '' The mermaids' and his piano works wow I just listen to this recently stream Royal Liverpool Philharmonic orchestra Zemlinsky it's stunning & fabulous.  8)