At the end of the alphabet: Zemlinsky

Started by bhodges, October 16, 2007, 02:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Couldn't this have gone under the composer's own thread? I mean it's like you don't know how to use the 'Search' function.

Carlo Gesualdo

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 17, 2020, 07:37:25 AM
Couldn't this have gone under the composer's own thread? I mean it's like you don't know how to use the 'Search' function.

Yes I should have but wanted to make a distinct tread on his music and Wagner music because same ink  for me at least ,if op want move it to Zemlinsky?

I have no objections?

vers la flamme

Zemlinsky's String Quartet No.1 is nice, especially the Artis Quartett Wien recording. It really has that "old Vienna" flavor.

Carlo Gesualdo

Quote from: vers la flamme on July 20, 2020, 01:51:27 AM
Zemlinsky's String Quartet No.1 is nice, especially the Artis Quartett Wien recording. It really has that "old Vienna" flavor.

I agree dear vers la flamme, Zemlinsky is a great great composer in my book, a super good composer, to be honnest whit you I prefer Zemlinsky to his pupil Arnold Schoenberg his music has epic propportion in my mind.

have a good day  8)

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on July 20, 2020, 01:51:27 AM

The Artis Quartett are the recordings I own of the SQs and they are superb in every respect. I kept trying to look for the Schoenberg Quartet's recordings since I loved their Second Viennese School performances, but I couldn't find them. I'm actually kind of I didn't as I'm now rather content with what the Artis Quartett bring to the musical table. Have you heard any of the other SQs? They're all excellent --- the 2nd is the big-boned, Late-Romantic one, but the 3rd sees a change in his style as the writing becomes a bit more edgy and streamlined --- I detect a Schoenberg influence in this particular SQ and then the last one is rather Neoclassical. A winning SQ cycle overall and one that deserves to be better known. Also, do try his Piano Trio, Op. 3 (for clarinet, cello and piano). It's a just gorgeous and if you haven't heard any of the lieder (incl. orchesterlieder), orchestral works, Lyrische Symphonie or any of the operas, then do check these out as well. So much great music awaits you!

Cato

Quote from: deprofundis on July 20, 2020, 04:45:41 AM

I agree dear vers la flamme, Zemlinsky is a great great composer in my book...his music has epic proportions...

Which works do you find epic?  Die Seejungfrau, currently buzzing through GMG  0:)  , would be an excellent choice, along with the Lyric Symphony.

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Cato on April 30, 2021, 09:02:12 AM
Which works do you find epic?  Die Seejungfrau, currently buzzing through GMG  0:)  , would be an excellent choice, along with the Lyric Symphony.

I'd say Eine florentinische Tragödie is quite epic as well.

Cato

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 30, 2021, 09:04:46 AM
I'd say Eine florentinische Tragödie is quite epic as well.

Good example!  For those who have an hour or so...

https://www.youtube.com/v/74HxFkhx-6U

Mirror Image

Quote from: Cato on April 30, 2021, 01:49:59 PM
Good example!  For those who have an hour or so...

https://www.youtube.com/v/74HxFkhx-6U

Zemlinsky composed several one-act operas. Der Zwerg is another one-act opera, but I haven't heard this one yet. I've got the Conlon recording on the way.

Carlo Gesualdo

Great Sir.Zemlinsky is a god of is era  (Romantic), well The Mermaids symphopny is deep , pognant, powerfull,  profound is a mysterious way, simply you cannot hate or dislike it, if you like Zemlinsky like me, what are the LP done of The Mermaids please I KNOW THERE EXPENSIVE? cHAILY, zemlinsky my verdict the great undermine master composer. Like is orchestration a lots.

vandermolen

Quote from: deprofundis on May 07, 2021, 07:25:28 PM
Great Sir.Zemlinsky is a god of is era  (Romantic), well The Mermaids symphopny is deep , pognant, powerfull,  profound is a mysterious way, simply you cannot hate or dislike it, if you like Zemlinsky like me, what are the LP done of The Mermaids please I KNOW THERE EXPENSIVE? cHAILY, zemlinsky my verdict the great undermine master composer. Like is orchestration a lots.

Not sure but here are a couple:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Cato

Quote from: vandermolen on May 09, 2021, 01:23:52 AM
[
Not sure but here are a couple:

I have the Chailly performance and can recommend it highly!

Mirror Image

Mirror Image

I'll also add that if someone hasn't heard the Lyrische Symphonie, all of the orchesterlieder and lieder (w/ piano), the SQs or Der Zwerg, then they definitely should rectify this soon!

Cato

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 09, 2021, 07:46:02 AM
I'll also add that if someone hasn't heard the Lyrische Symphonie, all of the orchesterlieder and lieder (w/ piano), the SQs or Der Zwerg, then they definitely should rectify this soon!

The Sechs Orchesterlieder with poems by Maurice Maeterlinck is a brilliant work!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Cato on May 09, 2021, 12:41:55 PM
The Sechs Orchesterlieder with poems by Maurice Maeterlinck is a brilliant work!

I can only nod my head along with your own, Cato. 8)

Carlo Gesualdo

I adore the work of Sir Zemlinsky more than his pupil Schoenberg, whit all due respect '' The mermaids' and his piano works wow I just listen to this recently stream Royal Liverpool Philharmonic orchestra Zemlinsky it's stunning & fabulous.  8)

Lisztianwagner

I've recently listened to Zemlinsky's Die Seejungfrau (the Chailly performance with the RSO Berlin) and I was very impressed by this beautiful composition, that has marvelous orchestration and timbric colour.
The first movement alternates very powerful, intense sections, using thrilling climaxes, with more lyrical, expressive passages, while the second movement opens with another strong climax abruptly dissolving (similar to Bruckner) before the music bursts out again into a massive crescendo that, after reaching the peack, softens and fades into the sound of the harp, absolutely stunning; I loved the use of the violin solo in that part, as well as its weave with the orchestra in one of the leading themes of the movement, it reminded me the Tanzlied of Strauss' Also Sprach Zarathustra. The third movement shows a melancholic atmosphere, especially at the beginning with the string section and in the final part when the first theme comes back, but it is hauntingly beautiful too.
it's a pity Zemlinsky is still a rather neglected composer, because his music certainly deserves much more attention; I'll be definitely interested in deepening my knowledge of his compositions.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on May 04, 2022, 12:53:04 PM
I've recently listened to Zemlinsky's Die Seejungfrau (the Chailly performance with the RSO Berlin) and I was very impressed by this beautiful composition, that has marvelous orchestration and timbric colour.
The first movement alternates very powerful, intense sections, using thrilling climaxes, with more lyrical, expressive passages, while the second movement opens with another strong climax abruptly dissolving (similar to Bruckner) before the music bursts out again into a massive crescendo that, after reaching the peack, softens and fades into the sound of the harp, absolutely stunning; I loved the use of the violin solo in that part, as well as its weave with the orchestra in one of the leading themes of the movement, it reminded me the Tanzlied of Strauss' Also Sprach Zarathustra. The third movement shows a melancholic atmosphere, especially at the beginning with the string section and in the final part when the first theme comes back, but it is hauntingly beautiful too.
it's a pity Zemlinsky is still a rather neglected composer, because his music certainly deserves much more attention; I'll be definitely interested in deepening my knowledge of his compositions.

Next stop the Lyric Symphony and the String Quartets.  The late Sinfonietta is a knotty but impressively austere work - quite different from The Mermaid.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 04, 2022, 02:54:07 PM
Next stop the Lyric Symphony and the String Quartets.  The late Sinfonietta is a knotty but impressively austere work - quite different from The Mermaid.

I second these suggestions plus the orchesterlieder, choral works and operas (esp. Der Zwerg and Eine florentinische Tragödie).