Author Topic: What introduced you in the depth to classical music?  (Read 328 times)

Offline deprofundis

• Currently Listening to:
    classical, skronk-jazz, blues, experimental etc
What introduced you in the depth to classical music?
« on: November 22, 2019, 06:25:54 AM »
For me, I guess it's Krystof Penderecki, Saint Luke's passion and is the third symphony, Bela Bartòk also contributed to my awakening to classical music.

Then from this starting point, everything started to interest me. So I decided to venture into classical in chronological order from Gregorian, ars Vetus, ars Nova, ars subtilior the last more intriguing state of medieval lore.

Early renaissance to late renaissance starts captivating me: Josquin, Roland de Lassus, Nicolas Gombert, and etc.

I eventually gradually got into the Futurist Obhoukov and Lourié were such an eye-opener
They had there owned systems of music like mister Schoenberg, this was a revelation to me

By that time, what I would pre-conceived as classical music had evolved, I explain it all, my father  was a mainstream classical music listener all he would listen was mainstream classical, for him classical was what they play on radio and by god mean, radio a bad media to discover early or modern classical since they always play the same stuff what is utterly more popular. Then I understood one thing
, people in every music the masses are prone to love mainstream classical and believe classical only  10-15 names of the Baroque era and Romantic.

I don't have anything against this period but common people ruined classical for me at an early age because of my father and is limited taste and choice in classical music and discover he was not passionated as I were or had the knowledge I gain eventually.

See there are few types of classical listeners, People that listen to there classical on big broadcast radio at home or in their car.

Those people only listen to a small % of the classical sphere, also there is poser that doesn't like classical at all(most of them hipster-like my sister). She doesn't like classical find it depressing but acknowledge J.s Bach  & Beethoven as the greatest yet she never listens to classical find it depressing all the time or boring, but she a book worm this means if an author says if the masses says these are the best she will respect them whiteout hearing them.

I had to swim in the ocean by myself to learn the joy of classical because no one around me was as passionated.

I like other genres of music but my focus is on classical no one understands this.

Have a nice day everyone okay

Let's keep this short and sweet, this is all for now, What was your story, please?

Offline steve ridgway

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    A Steinway and a xylophone falling in slow motion down endless flights of stairs
Re: What introduced you in the depth to classical music?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 08:46:20 AM »
People very similar to those you mention put me off classical in just the same way >:(. Eventually I came across references to Stockhausen and Ligeti in a book about rock music and gave them a listen which led me into the 1950s/60s "classical" electronic and musique concrete. Varese made me realise some proper classical orchestral music was actually worth listening to and I've been exploring 20th century works since then.
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten." - Marie Antoinette

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: What introduced you in the depth to classical music?
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 08:52:03 AM »
One day, before going out to work, very early in the morning, by chance I listened to Bob van Asperen playing three Sweelinck fantasias, on a recording he shares with Peter Dirksen on the label NM, he uses a very beautiful harpsichord, I wish there were more recordings of it. This is contrapuntal music, I mean it works by imitation and rhythm more than by melody. Suddenly the penny dropped, it was as if I learned how to listen to counterpoint, and it was the start of a pretty big musical adventure.

And at the other end, as it were, I met someone who was a great advocate of a long piano piece called Trinity by the composer George Flynn, and really because I could see this person was serious, that he cared about music, I thought I'd give it a try. One thing lead to another.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 08:59:39 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen